Workout Routine @ Planet Fitness

Options
I already know there are going to be a lot of negative responses simply because I'm going to be asking about Planet Fitness, but oh well. It's what I can afford and it's close to where I live- so, please, try to offer advice that actually helps me in my situation. :flowerforyou:

I just joined Planet Fitness after going a few times with a friend. I want to start getting into weight training, and since I'm not strong yet, I figure PF will suit my needs for a while. I do plan on looking into the Stronglifts program (if anyone can link me to it I would really appreciate it) but I know that PF is limited when it comes to weight training equipment. The one I'll be going to looked pretty decent, though.

My questions are basically this:

1) There are no squat racks. Should I attempt squats using the Smith Machine, or should I just use dumbbells?
2) Can I "lift heavy" using machines, or should I stick to free weights?
3) What are the general guidelines for lifting heavy (reps, sets, etc)?
4) How much cardio is too much? I enjoy walking on the treadmill (3-4 mph at about level 12 incline) because it's easy on my knees- I have really bad knees. I plan on doing that for about 50 mins/day. Is that okay?
5) How much protein should I eat? I always eat at least 100 grams a day, but I shoot for 100-120. Should I increase that?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you! :)

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1) You can do dumbbells. I would prefer dumbbells over the smith machine. Smith machine is too restricting, can lead to bad posture. Dumbbells have an added benefit of increasing grip strength.
    2) Use free weights for compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench pressing and overhead presses etc. You can use machines for isolation/accessory exercises, IMO.
    3) 5 sets of 2-5 reps for heavy compound movements. You can do 3 sets of 8-12 reps for isolation.
    4) If done at the end of your workout, you shouldn't see any detriment to your strength gains.
    5) 0.8g per lbs of body weight is fine.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! :)

I do have a question, though. Why does the timing of cardio matter?
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    cardio before lifting fatigues the muscles and can negatively impact your strength gains. so always do cardio after lifting. I eat about 1g of protein daily
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal, cardio takes energy from you. If you're spending your energy on cardio instead of lifting, it will reflect in your strength gains. You won't have the energy to lift as much as you could if you had done your lifting at the beginning of your work out.

It's same reason most people put their heavy compound movements as their first exercises. For example if you wanted to increase your bench press on chest day, your routine should look like this:

5x5 bench press
    5x5 accessory (probably incline bench press or chain bench press or something)
    rest of your lifting
    cardio

Setting up your routine this way allows you to expend the most energy on the exercise you want to target.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    I see, that makes sense. I'll have to toy around with the timing since I won't be doing intense cardio (as I mentioned I'll just be walking on an incline). Totally logical though.

Stupid question... does 5x5 refer to 5 sets with 5 reps?
  • jdaley90
    Options
    you got it, 5x5 means 5 set with 5 reps :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    cardio before lifting fatigues the muscles and can negatively impact your strength gains. so always do cardio after lifting. I eat about 1g of protein daily

1 gram of protein?

What is that? Like one almond?
    :smile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    From what i know with planet fitness they don't have many freeweights/barbells in general. i wonder if you could use a preacher curl bar/EZ Bar if they have them hanging around atleast for deadlifts and squats.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

1 gram of protein?

hee hee... typo I think but you need 5 almonds for a gram... LOL!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I already know there are going to be a lot of negative responses simply because I'm going to be asking about Planet Fitness, but oh well. It's what I can afford and it's close to where I live- so, please, try to offer advice that actually helps me in my situation. :flowerforyou:

I just joined Planet Fitness after going a few times with a friend. I want to start getting into weight training, and since I'm not strong yet, I figure PF will suit my needs for a while. I do plan on looking into the Stronglifts program (if anyone can link me to it I would really appreciate it) but I know that PF is limited when it comes to weight training equipment. The one I'll be going to looked pretty decent, though.

1) There are no squat racks. Should I attempt squats using the Smith Machine, or should I just use dumbbells?
    4) How much cardio is too much? I enjoy walking on the treadmill (3-4 mph at about level 12 incline) because it's easy on my knees- I have really bad knees. I plan on doing that for about 50 mins/day. Is that okay?
    5) How much protein should I eat? I always eat at least 100 grams a day, but I shoot for 100-120. Should I increase that?

I've been considering this too because of price and location... they are everywhere.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    you got it, 5x5 means 5 set with 5 reps :)

Perfect- thanks! :)
    From what i know with planet fitness they don't have many freeweights/barbells in general. i wonder if you could use a preacher curl bar/EZ Bar if they have them hanging around atleast for deadlifts and squats.

I'm fairly certain deadlifts are against corporate policy or something (sigh). Plus they have that lunk alarm (which I find incredibly stupid) which goes off if you drop heavy weights, even from a few inches. If there is a bar around though maybe I can use that for squats eventually whenever I outgrow using dumbbells.

ETA:

I've been considering this too because of price and location... they are everywhere.

Yeah there are a ton of locations. I really think PF will be fine for *me* because I'm not a body builder and never plan to be. I think it just depends on your goals.
  • jdaley90
    Options

1 gram of protein?

hee hee... typo I think but you need 5 almonds for a gram... LOL!

oops!! LOL! 1g protein/lb... 120g/daily for me, over in most cases.. i love me some protein!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain deadlifts are against corporate policy or something (sigh). Plus they have that lunk alarm (which I find incredibly stupid) which goes off if you drop heavy weights, even from a few inches. If there is a bar around though maybe I can use that for squats eventually whenever I outgrow using dumbbells.

I hope it works out for you and you find something that you're able to do there. But the above is exactly why PF will never get my 10$ a month! >:0
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    @rainbow, yeah a lot of people here seem to be against PF for that reason. :P Thank you though!

And thank you everyone else for your thoughts. :drinker:
  • cgregurich73
    cgregurich73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The lunk alarm is a tool to help save equipment. PF was not created for the serious weight lifter and body builder it was designed for the average joe that's intimidated by those environments. If you are just a average lifter there's no reason to be dropping plates that's what bumper plates are for. And you haven no controller of the weight if your dropping it anyways. I've lifted for years I'm not a body builder but I do no you can gain muscle with out looking like a fool doing it.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am lifting heavy for me and I do grab a 60 lb bar off to the side and deadlift..I have never had anyone say anything to me at PF..then again, I am not throwing weights down and grunting either....lol
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Use dumbbells. Though they have a limited weight of dumbbells.

Do Goblet Squats, DB Bench, DB Overhead Press, DB Rows, etc.

Also, Lat Pulldowns are a good machine exercise if you can't do Chin-Ups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The lunk alarm is a tool to help save equipment. PF was not created for the serious weight lifter and body builder it was designed for the average joe that's intimidated by those environments. If you are just a average lifter there's no reason to be dropping plates that's what bumper plates are for. And you haven no controller of the weight if your dropping it anyways. I've lifted for years I'm not a body builder but I do no you can gain muscle with out looking like a fool doing it.

it's created for lazy people who don't want to seriously train.... a regular big box gym that allows you to ACTUALLY lift- is for the average lifter too- it's for the lazy lifter- the cardio bunny's the body builders- it's for WHOEVER WALKS IN TO WORKOUT AND PAYS THERE DUES. LA Fitness, Future Fitness, Giant, 24 Hr Fitness, Snap- all great gyms who have real equipment and don't have stupid shameful alarms or rules against deadlifting.

That being said- it's a BRILLIANT marketing plan.

I hate these gym- such a waste of space- but again- beautiful marketing plan and scheme. I just wish they would be a different- actually useful gym- only thing useful about them is they are cheap and they are open 24 hrs a day. Otherwise waste of space.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    Whoa, my thread got necro'd. Lol.

Thanks for the new thoughts.

Since I created this post I joined LA Fitness and it fits my needs much better.

:flowerforyou:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.