Need to increase sodium - helpful ideas??

Options
Hi all!
My cardiologist told me that I need to increase my sodium intake. I have been struggling with that! Their suggestions on how to do that were to add table salt to my meals, or try to eat more foods like pretzels or potato chips which are salty.

However, I rather dislike salty-tasting foods! Lol I’ve always bought low or no salt chips and pretzels. I’m having trouble finding any ideas online…all the websites I’m seeing are how to reduce sodium, not increase :neutral: I’ve found mixed things on MFP regarding Gatorade and other electrolyte drinks. Additionally, many of the suggestions I've gotten from friends and family are all high fat or high sugar, which I would like to avoid if possible.

I guess what I am asking is there a way to get some sodium without being too…salty? Lol if that makes sense!

Replies

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The more you eat something the more it will grow on you!

Often adding a little sea salt on or in sweet things make them taste sweeter (why people like sea salt caramel/chocolate chip cookies).

You can always just have a one pickle and just choke it down. Try out different kinds of pickles (like pickled onions, beets, etc.)

Canned vegetables/beans sometimes have added salt.

Also a lot of steak spice can be quite tasty if you use it on meat or inside of rice
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Also adding miso soup and broth for low Cal options!!!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    A lot of commercially produced foods, even if relatively bland tasting are high in sodium. For instance ….
    Shrimp, clams and canned fish like tuna is high in sodium and low in calories unless packed in oil
    Cottage cheese as well as many other processed cheeses
    Tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce and tomato juice
    Many commercially produced breads and breakfast cereals
    Peanut butter often has added salt
    Many soups and broths do as well
    Coconut waters sold for hydration often have extra sodium
    Canned vegetables, especially beans, are high in sodium - they also absorb a lot of salt in order to become flavorful

Sometimes bloodwork shows that your diet is low in sodium when you are drinking a lot of water, for instance when you are sweating a lot due to heavy exercise. Some illnesses and medicines can also affect the results. (This has been an on again off again issue with my elderly father). Pickles,Tomato juice, sauce, broths and extra table salt where appropriate are the easiest ways to keep his sodium in balance bc we also don’t eat lots of processed food or salty foods. Worst case the dr will prescribe salt tablets.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Oh also if you like using condiments on your foods, those are typically high in sodium. Especially things like soy sauce, fish sauce, catsup, worchestershire sauce, bbq sauces etc.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Canned anything will have a lot of salt. Celery is also a bit higher in sodium.. kinda. Pancake mix can be higher in sodium. Cottage cheese has a relatively high sodium content too. Pickled anything will be very salty too
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I take Vitassium by Salt Stick because I need an extra 9-10 grams of sodium daily and I can't manage that with food. They're specifically salt, not a mix of electrolytes, so clarify with your MD if they want you intaking more salt or more electrolytes in general.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Buy salted, not unsalted butter. Salt your combination meals (like stew, casseroles), as you are cooking them, with a little more salt. I've heard (don't know if it is true) that when you salt your food after it is already prepared (like using salt at the table), that the salt is more noticeable because it is one the outside of your food (closer to your tastebuds?). Lol, It sounds dumb as I type this, but it's all I have! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    My cardiologist told me that I need to increase my sodium intake. I have been struggling with that! Their suggestions on how to do that were to add table salt to my meals, or try to eat more foods like pretzels or potato chips which are salty.

However, I rather dislike salty-tasting foods! Lol I’ve always bought low or no salt chips and pretzels. I’m having trouble finding any ideas online…all the websites I’m seeing are how to reduce sodium, not increase :neutral: I’ve found mixed things on MFP regarding Gatorade and other electrolyte drinks. Additionally, many of the suggestions I've gotten from friends and family are all high fat or high sugar, which I would like to avoid if possible.

I guess what I am asking is there a way to get some sodium without being too…salty? Lol if that makes sense!

You can get salt tablets over the counter. They are often recommended by Drs. if you have low sodium blood levels, low blood pressure, etc.
  • Bluesscale
    Bluesscale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, my sodium level was very low because of the use of diuretics and a low sodium diet. My doctor advised me to stop taking the diuretic but was rather vague about eating more salt. Sounds like your doctor was too by advising you to "increase your sodium intake" without any real guidance. My low sodium diet target was 1,500 mg per day. The guideline for normal intake is 2,300 mg but most people eat even more. Anyway, my point is that you should establish a target. Since one teaspoon of salt os is 2,300mg of sodium it doesn't take much additional salt to "increase your sodium Intake".
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bluesscale wrote: »
    Sounds like your doctor was too by advising you to "increase your sodium intake" without any real guidance.

This doctor...was not the best I've been to, to put it kindly. You are right, I have no specifics. That's a great suggestion, thank you! Finding a different cardiologist has crossed my mind in the past, maybe I should explore that a little more. I'm glad MFP diary has a sodium tracker, that'll come in handy!