Trying to lose weight while taking anxiety/ depression medication which causes weight gain! Help

Options
I have been on anxiety/ depression medication since my husband of 24 yrs left me , 4 yrs ago. Since taking this medication I have gained 75lbs in 3.5 yrs. I have tried to diet, tried to walk off the weight but I have never been so hungry! I tried to stop the medication seeing as it has been 4 yrs and I should not need it any longer but I can’t function without it, so I think it’s going to be on my medication list for life…. How do I lose weight and stop gaining anymore while on this medication. Any advice or helpful tips is appreciated desperately!!!

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    If hunger is your main issue, maybe try bulking up your meals and snacks with low energy dense foods- basically fruits and vegetables. It should help fill your sto.ach while not adding a big calorie load.
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No solutions here but sending you my best wishes. I am confident that you will find a solution. :)
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a good time to visit with your prescriber. If the side effects are this bad, maybe they can find a different med. If you haven’t done so yet, plan your meals with protein and fruits and veggies and keep busy! Do you work outside the home? If not, make sure you’re busy much of the day with something. For sure, keep walking and drink water. Chew gum. The med itself can make you feel hungry, but it could be other things contributing to your “need” to overeat. Boredom, anxiety, etc. Got to find something else to fill the void.
  • clairesimpson4
    clairesimpson4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Saxenda was what got me out if this problem. It's tough, you find a medication regimen that makes you stable and able to function but raises your blood sugar and increases your appetite. So you have to decide body or mind...unless you get a little help. If you can tolerate it, Saxenda is a game changer. Some people have side effects, I've never had any issues.
    Talk to your healthcare provider and see if your insurance will cover it - it is very expensive otherwise I'm afraid. I'm lucky, my insurance were willing to pay.
    I hope this helps.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    I would say ask for a referral to a doctor who knows about your particular medication and how to wean off of it. If it's in the Benzodiazepine class of drugs, it is strongly recommended to use them only short term and to follow a weaning schedule when it's time to be off them.

I wouldn't agree to any life-long use of an anxiety drug, I've been on them in the past and Never Again! They're horrible drugs, for weight, for long-term coping and for the difficulty getting away from them.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    I'm on long term medication for mental health reasons that therapy can't fix, but in working with my prescriber we have found alternate meds that don't make me gain. I still find it hard to lose (because I'm having a hard time being committed), but I've stopped gaining since changing up my meds. I suggest discussing your issue with someone who specializes in mental health rather than your PCP. I love my PCP, but she did not have the answers and suggested another professional for me to see.

I actually went through a series of doctors and "cocktails" of medications before finding a combination that worked for me. Don't give up and don't quit until you can live the life you are meant to live, healthy and happy!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    Can you get your medication made to measure? Some pharmacies in some countries provide such medication in tiny amounts lower every x days/weeks to wean them off.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    Going off of anxiety and depression meds can be very dangerous. Please talk to your doctor about what your options are. Some people do need to remain on meds long term, and if you are one of them, that's ok. Your mental health is ultimately far more important than losing some weight. Don't let other people's biases against or for meds influence your decision, and do what is best for YOU.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Going off of anxiety and depression meds can be very dangerous. Please talk to your doctor about what your options are. Some people do need to remain on meds long term, and if you are one of them, that's ok. Your mental health is ultimately far more important than losing some weight. Don't let other people's biases against or for meds influence your decision, and do what is best for YOU.

I assume you're referencing me and my previous post?

She said she wanted to get off them.

I was on many drugs in the past for anxiety and depression. I did not used to have biases until I actually experienced the drugs and their side-effects. Sometimes people do need them, but they're meant as bandaids, not lifelong therapy.

EVERY single one of them say in the circulars or in their descriptions to not take them long term. Unfortunately, doctors will continue to prescribe them as long as I will continue to take them. I don't believe anyone needs to be on them long-term.

Is it easy to come off them? For a lot of people, no. Especially benzos, and some of the SSRIs. That is too bad but it is possible and continuing to take them isn't a solution either.

I said I'd never take them again, because I've learned how to deal with life and all its chaos. There have been a lot of times I wished I had some pill or drink I could take, but that isn't a solution.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

I was on many drugs in the past for anxiety and depression. I did not used to have biases until I actually experienced the drugs and their side-effects. Sometimes people do need them, but they're meant as bandaids, not lifelong therapy.

EVERY single one of them say in the circulars or in their descriptions to not take them long term. Unfortunately, doctors will continue to prescribe them as long as I will continue to take them. I don't believe anyone needs to be on them long-term.

Is it easy to come off them? For a lot of people, no. Especially benzos, and some of the SSRIs. That is too bad but it is possible and continuing to take them isn't a solution either.

I said I'd never take them again, because I've learned how to deal with life and all its chaos. There have been a lot of times I wished I had some pill or drink I could take, but that isn't a solution.

She never said she wanted to get off them, she was wondering how to lose weight while on them. But no, I was not referencing your post.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

She never said she wanted to get off them, she was wondering how to lose weight while on them. But no, I was not referencing your post.

In the OP she says, "I tried to stop the medication seeing as it has been 4 yrs and I should not need it any longer but I can’t function without it..."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    tshalee wrote: »
    I have been on anxiety/ depression medication since my husband of 24 yrs left me , 4 yrs ago. Since taking this medication I have gained 75lbs in 3.5 yrs. I have tried to diet, tried to walk off the weight but I have never been so hungry! I tried to stop the medication seeing as it has been 4 yrs and I should not need it any longer but I can’t function without it, so I think it’s going to be on my medication list for life…. How do I lose weight and stop gaining anymore while on this medication. Any advice or helpful tips is appreciated desperately!!!

What's the med?

I took Wellbutrin for close to 20 years. If anything, it has a (small) appetite suppressing effect. I used to taper off it every spring and go back on it in the fall when I needed it for SAD.

Sometimes I'd stay on it when life was especially difficult, like last year, when I was selling my house. It stopped working and we experimented with several different anxiety/ depression medications until I found one that boosted my mood but not my appetite.

Now I'm taking Cymbalta. I go into withdrawal after 45 minutes of a missed dose. Should I ever need to go off it, I am prepared for it to be awful.

Discuss your concerns with your provider. There are definitely ADs available that generally don't stimulate appetite.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

In the OP she says, "I tried to stop the medication seeing as it has been 4 yrs and I should not need it any longer but I can’t function without it..."

She stopped them, and it didn't work for her. At no point does she ask for advice on stopping her meds now.