Just not fit for running?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been a runner? If you’ve not done serious running in your younger years then what you are doing is perfect. I’d even recommend for you to pull back and stick to walking. Build up your walking to make your outings a little challenging. I’m making assumptions so excuse me. Being older and never have been a jogger/runner things will take time. With age injuries can happen easily. That should be your number #1 priority. Don’t attempt to be a jogger/runner in a short period. If your serious you should get yourself fitted for some shoes. You can learn about your specific gait patterns or any other things that will start you off well and help as you build yourself to having the stamina and keep injuries to a minimum. Injuries will happen. Take your time. It seems you have the desire just take it slow and you’ll get there.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Jogging and running has always been hard for me, even when I have been incredibly fit. My body responds really well to strength training. I am built like a muscly meatball and my body thrives on that kind of workout. Running is high impact and seems to affect my body negatively, but other cardio is ok, like aerobics or biking.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Me... But I have a previous injury multiple sprained ankle both feet. Running makes them swell up. So I stick with swimming or light walking. I wanted to run a 5k but Ive given up because swollen ankles are def not worth it.

Do you have asthma? I wasn't diagnosed with asthma until my 30's. I always got winded even as a kid now I know and use my inhaler before any kind of exercise and it helps. Some only have symptoms when they exercise. It can def hinder you when exercising. Doesnt mean you cant do it just gotta be prepared.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    running is a sport associated with higher risk of injury than other forms of exercise that provide similar if not better cardiovascular health
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think everyone can run,but some people are built better for it than others. Give it a try and see if you like it, but build endurance slowly.I do recommend c25k .It's a structured programme,and if you take it slow you should be alright.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Thank you everybody. I really appreciate all the feedback.

I guess I'll look into new shoes. Only problem with that is my feet are big. :( As in, I have to buy men sizes because women's are usually too tight and uncomfortable. That shouldn't matter, should it?

Plus I need to get more consistent if I want and expect to see better results. :/

I wish my feet were bigger so I could choose from all the men's options! I have a collection of my favorite shoe, now discontinued, that is wide enough for my toes, without being so loose they fall off my heels. If and when I ever get through more of those, I'll be looking into more of the kids shoes. Boys feet tend to be wider than "ladies" feet (I swear I qualify by all the definitions, but the shoes don't fit!) and they get better color options.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    My general input would be --- everyone can be a runner if they want to.

As far as getting out of breath quickly when you start out running - that's complete natural (and will happen to even the best runners if they've been out of practice for a while). I took a big step back with my running progress coming back from both strep throat and covid this summer, simply bc with both of those - I didn't run for like 2weeks/respiratory symptoms. Both times I went from running 8 miles before being sick to trying to run 2 and feeling like my face was gonna explode LOL. Being able to breath easy while running comes with cardiovascular and respiratory health and endurance. That takes time.

As long as you are enjoying running, I'd say keep it up. But if you don't *like* running, it makes you miserable, etc.....then running doesn't have to be your cardio activity of choice.