High Fasting Blood Sugar

Options
Can your morning fasted blood sugars be high without being prediabetic? For the past several months I have been experiencing severe fatigue after eating. I went into the doctor and they ran some tests and they said my insulin levels were high-my blood glucose at the time was 70-that was 45 minutes after eating. Thyroid-vitamins and everything else turned out fine.
I am seeing an endo in two weeks, but in the meantime I did purchase a meter. I have been testing my blood sugar first thing in the morning and it is always between the 100-121 range. This is always after fasting for 8 hours. When I test it throughout the day it is always around 115.
I am at a very healthy weight-eat right work out, but my Uncle and Great Grandma both were diabetic-Type 2. Just curious if you can still have higher fasting sugar levels and not have any issues.

Replies

• FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This seems like a question for your doctor. If you have qualms, you should get a second opinion from a qualified physician. It doesn't seem like a question to be answered by internet randos without your full panel of test results nor full medical history. All you are going to get is uninformed opinions.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Short answer is you would be seen as being in a prediabetic state with the numbers you've listed for your fasting check. Below 100 is considered to be normal. Don't be so down as long you maintain a healthy overall lifestyle you'll keep the effects and full blown diabetes at bay. After you see your endo they'll hopefully give you exacts and put a plan together if needed with a registered dietitian. As we get older things happen with our bodies and its a matter of adjusting. Keep us posted.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    This is probably irrelevant to your situation, but how is your sleep, objectively and subjectively?

I haven't delved into it deeply, but there's some research out there about sleep and insulin resistance, AM blood sugar, etc.

I ran across one study recently and posted about it in Debate Club, because it kind of blew my mind.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10860667/too-light-bedroom-increases-insulin-resistance#latest

That study is more of a weird new little niche, but there's much more other general and established research out there. Especially if your intuition suggests your sleep duration/quality could be sub-ideal, you might try looking via Google Scholar for studies about sleep and blood sugar, or sleep and diabetes. There's quite a bit there.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My sleep is excellent. Usually in bed by 9 and up around 6. My biggest complaint is the fatigue after I eat.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,326 Member
    Options
    There is a thing known as reactive hypoglycemia. When I did low carb, and then would have carbs, my body would go into a tailspin and over produce insulin, dropping my blood sugar too low. Not a common thing, but a thing. Ask your endo...

In people without diabetes, hypoglycemia can result from the body producing too much insulin after a meal, causing blood sugar levels to drop. This is called reactive hypoglycemia. Reactive hypoglycemia can be an early sign of diabetes.