Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The body positivity movement promotes obesity

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    i think people really have a lot of misconceptions on fatness, and an incorrect definition of obesity. obesity is when you're UNHEALTHY due to being severely overweight- but being fat doesn't necessarily make you overweight or unhealthy. many different factors play into body shape aside from food consumption and exercise, such as genetics, height, sex, age, medical conditions, and various other traits. being fat isn't unhealthy for everyone- for some people, it's possible that a lot of fat could indicate health problems. but for a lot of others, being fat is natural and, for a matter of fact, healthy. according to my BMI (29.7), i am almost obese- but my doctors and other medical sources say my weight is perfectly healthy for me.
    not to mention, we shouldn't shame people even if they WERE obese. rather, we should encourage them to work towards a healthier weight for them personally. obesity can be a result of things beyond "laziness," and can instead be caused by various mental and physical disabilities. so we SHOULD normalize obesity- not romanticize it, but also not demonize those with it, either.
    Being fat isn't a NATURAL phenomenon. We stored energy easy because physcially the human body hasn't changed much in function for thousands of years. It was intended this way well before the agricultural revolution. Lack of food sources (where some tribes wouldn't eat for a day or two) is why we store energy easily, but have to really work at it to give it up. The majority of people who are overweight/obese are that way for one reason.........overconsumption. And while BMI isn't the best indicator if one is healthy or not, it can be a reliable guide for those who don't exercise or watch how much they eat. The REALITY is that in a country like the USA, 70% are overweight or obese and likely are suffering from some malady from it whether whetehr it be something like joint aches, breathing issues (like sleep apnea), blood pressure, etc. Unfortunately we don't get to see what's going on INSIDE our bodies like we do on the outside, because I do think if people really could, they may be more inspired to do something about it. IMO, if one was really healthy and overweight, they likely would be on no medications or medical aides. If their taking something medically to offset that issue, then don't you think that their weight could possibly be the issue?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    i think people really have a lot of misconceptions on fatness, and an incorrect definition of obesity. obesity is when you're UNHEALTHY due to being severely overweight- but being fat doesn't necessarily make you overweight or unhealthy. many different factors play into body shape aside from food consumption and exercise, such as genetics, height, sex, age, medical conditions, and various other traits. being fat isn't unhealthy for everyone- for some people, it's possible that a lot of fat could indicate health problems. but for a lot of others, being fat is natural and, for a matter of fact, healthy. according to my BMI (29.7), i am almost obese- but my doctors and other medical sources say my weight is perfectly healthy for me.
    not to mention, we shouldn't shame people even if they WERE obese. rather, we should encourage them to work towards a healthier weight for them personally. obesity can be a result of things beyond "laziness," and can instead be caused by various mental and physical disabilities. so we SHOULD normalize obesity- not romanticize it, but also not demonize those with it, either.

Because of the grey area of how being fat can still be considered healthy and how much is unhealthy has people totally confused.

Both China and India have more metabolic disease including diabetes than the USA on a % basis with a population that is fairly lean. What does this mean, it means that the population in the USA that is of normal weight, a percentage of that population will have metabolic disease and it appears the scientific community seems to agree that that number is in and around 40%. When all the numbers are calculated only about 12% of the US population have no issues regarding the symptoms of metabolic disease.

If your wondering why someone that appears thin that can still be very sick is because of how we've evolved and have prepared our genetic makeup for survival over the last few million years. Basically there's a fat that is used for energy in times of food shortages and starvation which is called subcutaneous fat, the fat directly beneath our skin and is basically benign on the disease front and why some people that are overweight and considered obese have no metabolic disease and considered healthy. The other fat that we store is called visceral fat this shows up in waist/stomach but not all the time and it's the fat that the liver stores as triglycerides as VLDL which eventually drive small particle LDL down stream, heart disease and fatty liver is a given along with higher blood pressure, it really is a destructive fat. If you have the fortitude there's videos showing how this fat basically takes over and engulfs our internal organs, it's really unnerving. This is basically from the metabolism of fructose in a scenario where people are overeating. It's the main reason why the increasing amount of Doctors are now opening clinics and prescribing low carb diets for their clientele that have metabolic disease and is primarily, to remove sugar.