Afraid to exercise- post rhabdomyolysis and constant DOMS

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with everyone on trying to find the source of your problem.

Walking--even 15 min to start, is good for your body and circulation. You say you have nowhere to walk outside. I guess I'd make a route around the house, and start there. An exercise bike could be an idea if you start on the lowest setting possible for 5 or 10 min a day to start. Be very careful when you begin. It's no failure to even do just a minute or two.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • Mythrain1
    Mythrain1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Something not mentioned here: Did you have covid? I just stumbled on this on Twitter, and apparently it's being seen and discussed since 2020 already.
    No, I have not had covid, unless it was mild and went undetected…

• Countandsubtract
    Countandsubtract Posts: 276 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Even in my best health brushing my hair has given me an arm workout. I suspect I'm using different muscles than at work.
    My hair is...high-maintanance. So that might not be completely unusual.

It does seem difficult to find good guidelines on how to avoid rhabdo. Some people say to never workout for more than a half-hour, which seems like a pretty strange comment. I'd imagine active people go past that limit frequently.

Had you been working out for hours straight with weights you could barely move? It sounded like it hadn't been that extreme. That does seem like a good question to get a second opinion on. If the doctor did little investigation into a life-threatening condition, maybe he/she wasn't as fresh on that diagnosis and was thinking of something less serious. Certainly doctors make mistakes sometimes.

Also sometimes doctors (like other people, I guess) fake that they know everything.

Relatedly: I know the show's a button-pusher and involves some deception, but how did people on the Biggest Loser not all die from Rhabdo if they were working out hard 4-8 hours a day supposedly? There's got to be some sort of way to monitor for it/avoid it.

Hope things got better.