Had a headache --> Took a walk...

Options
I think I must have eaten too many calories at lunch, today. A couple hours later, I got a headache. The headache sensation reminded me of getting a "sugar headache" like I used to get all the time before dieting with MFP. (Or, at least, I have always attributed those headaches to sugar in the past... but I'm not really sure if/what they were.) Headache, sleepy, eyes/vision felt funny - like I was too lazy/tired to focus them. I was also kinda bored at work...

Anyways, I thought that maybe eating a snack would make me feel better... Then I realized that that was a stupid idea because
1.) I had eaten plenty of calories at lunchtime
2.) I was bored - so this was a classic example of being tempted into boredom-eating (a variation of emotional eating)
3.) It would probably make me feel better for all of 15 minutes - and then I'd be back where I started.

When drinking water didn't help (because it often does help, when I get a headache!), I decided to take a quick walk, instead of eating anything. I figured that the worst that would happen was that I'd get a worse headache - and then I would drink more water and eventually take some Aleve, if the headache still didn't go away. Which is what I would have had to do anyways, without the walk.

But to my surprise, the headache went away towards the end of my walk! Yay. So all I needed to do was be a little more active. (maybe the water helped, too, though) Good to know! I'll have to keep this in mind for next time!

~Sarah

Replies

• slhass10
    slhass10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A walk always seems to make me feel better too, I too am tempted to munch when I am bored. I walk every night after dinner with the dogs, it is good for all of us!
  • rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love it! Congrats on beating the urge to snack and doing something healthy all whilst getting rid of your headache!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!