Wet, wild, crazy weather

Options
So we've suddenly had some wild crazy weather this week in the southern hemisphere. It's cold, thundering, lightning storms and really windy. I haven't been able to get outside and run...I've even been driven to work rather than ride. (My son is home for a couple of days so he drove me). What do people do when it's weather like this? It's hard to get outside to even think about heading to the gym, as I don't want to brave the weather on my bike. Hate YouTube work outs but I'm thinking I'll have to do that as a last resort. Feeling really blobby because I haven't exercised for a week!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do YouTube videos, just put on some music and move your body. You can dance or do things like high knees, side steps, kicks, etc. You can even jog in place. Alternately, is there a gym that allows one day passes?
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I find if you dress for the weather only extreme ice stops me.
    Also checking hourly reports to find the breaks during lightening storms.

If you really don't want to brave it maybe do bodyweight work?
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Push ups
    Planks
    Dead bugs
    Mountain Climbers
    Russian Twists
    Lunges
    Run up and down the stairs
    Bridges
    One leg bridge lift
    Side Planks
    Burpees
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I find if you dress for the weather only extreme ice stops me.
    Also checking hourly reports to find the breaks during lightening storms.

If you really don't want to brave it maybe do bodyweight work?

I think I just need to harden up and brave it! I have plenty of warm, wet weather gear. It's just getting motivated to get out when it's just so horrid out there!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and run outdoors all year round.
    I find the best bet is not to think about it, just decide it's going to happen and try to switch into autopilot. The reality of being outside in it once you get going and warmed up is usually not as bad as the thought of it :D

The hardest bit is getting out the door, so I always go out, but don't make myself stick to it. If I am still actively hating it after 20 mins I give myself permission to go home. Most of the time I'm cracking along and not bothered, but I'm not in the business of being miserable for no reason.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Either dress for the weather or find exercise at home that you like. If you don't like YouTube videos, then don't do them. There are endless possibilities for working out inside.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    If I am still actively hating it after 20 mins I give myself permission to go home. Most of the time I'm cracking along and not bothered, but I'm not in the business of being miserable for no reason.

I like this idea. The weather is still appalling so I'll go out and give myself permission to come home if I hate it. I guess once I get going I'll be fine.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and if I let a little rain or wind stop me then I'd never get out for a run :D

Dress for the weather (I usually wear my leggings, sports bra, top and then a zip up waterproof which I can take off if I feel the need) and just get out there. I find it easier to do this first thing in the morning and then you can get home, have a nice hot shower and a hot drink when you get in. There's nothing better!

That said, if you're out and you're miserable then just head home. Likewise if the weather takes a turn for the dangerous.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and support. I got out there...put on my merino, running rainjacket, and braved the elements. Got pretty wet, but had a long, warm bath and was pleased I'd done it. 4 wet days later, and the sun came out but the wind picked up. Almost got blown backwards at times. Just needed to make the effort to get out, then I was fine ☺️☺️