Starvation mode?

Options
I'm wondering if I'm in starvation mode and that's why I'm barely moving on the scale. I eat anywhere between 1500-1800 calories max. I mean I weigh and measure everything. I Burn 300-400 cals in excercise so most days I'm like 1100-1400 afterwards. Is that putting myself in starvation mode even I'm not trying? My maintenance calories is 2139 calories according to TDEE. Eating 1800-1900 wasn't cutting it after some time. I was 148-149 pounds since march. So i cut down more calories(usually gets me out of plateau), increased excercise by adding a day. I'm currently 146.4 pounds even on this past monthly cycle so I lost maybe a pound to two pounds. I was thinking once again great after my period I should be down 143-142. Nope still 146.4 pounds days after my period. I know everyone says not to get discouraged. It's hard not to get discouraged when your working so hard. So I'm wondering if I'm in starvation mode or maybe I built muscle? I do see more muscle in my legs and arms. Clothes fit way better so I'm thinking it could be both. 🤔

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    At 1500-1800 calories, it would be extremely, and I do mean EXTREMELY unlikely that you went into starvation mode. More than likely, you just need to have patience and trust the process. You are losing weight, just slowly, and that's a good thing.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,161 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are. If you're already quite lean, progress will be slow.
    And perhaps you need to change your perspective, in the end is it the number on the scale that matters? Clothes fitting better is a clear sign you're making progress.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    At 1500-1800 calories, it would be extremely, and I do mean EXTREMELY unlikely that you went into starvation mode. More than likely, you just need to have patience and trust the process. You are losing weight, just slowly, and that's a good thing.

1500-1800 then minus what I burn which is 300-400 wouldn't do that? Yes I agree slow is best but it's almost 4 months and I barely lost a thing going hardcore. It is just a tad discouraging 😄
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I don't know how tall you are. If you're already quite lean, progress will be slow.
    And perhaps you need to change your perspective, in the end is it the number on the scale that matters? Clothes fitting better is a clear sign you're making progress.

I'm 5'5.5 feet tall and estimate according to my fat caliper 24.8 % fat so far. So not really lean but getting there.. I do want to get down to at least 15%-%20 fat and stay in that range. I agree it did make me feel better when I tried on a dress that was snug that zipped up easy finally. You are right the number is just a number on the scale. I know I'm making progress and i will reach all my goals in time. This is a lifestyle change so i don't know why i feel like i need to get to my goal faster some days🙉 I will get there in time💪🙂
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5.5 feet tall and estimate according to my fat caliper 24.8 % fat so far. So not really lean but getting there.. I do want to get down to at least 15%-%20 fat and stay in that range. I agree it did make me feel better when I tried on a dress that was snug that zipped up easy finally. You are right the number is just a number on the scale. I know I'm making progress and i will reach all my goals in time. This is a lifestyle change so i don't know why i feel like i need to get to my goal faster some days🙉 I will get there in time💪🙂

I would also like to say that aiming for 15% body fat may be unrealistic. Not 100% sure if you're male or female.... but if you are female, 15% is extremely, almost unhealthy, lean.
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're most likely overestimating your calorie burn. And you are possibly underestimating how many calories you eat.

This...
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options

1500-1800 then minus what I burn which is 300-400 wouldn't do that? Yes I agree slow is best but it's almost 4 months and I barely lost a thing going hardcore. It is just a tad discouraging 😄

You're most likely overestimating your calorie burn. And you are possibly underestimating how many calories you eat. But like I said, you just have to have patience. But no, I almost guarantee that starvation mode is not the issue.

I use a fitbit for calorie burn. Read and weigh everything though so I doubt it's that🤔 I know it's estimate but I'm pretty confident with my tracking 🙂
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2022
    Options

I would also like to say that aiming for 15% body fat may be unrealistic. Not 100% sure if you're male or female.... but if you are female, 15% is extremely, almost unhealthy, lean.
    You're most likely overestimating your calorie burn. And you are possibly underestimating how many calories you eat.

This...

I have been using a fit bit for 3 years now and tracking my food. weighing everything..probably bit to obsessive. I calculate my deficiency for the week and keep track of maintenance calories so i know how much i need to deduct as i lose weight. I know it is all estimates but I highly doubt I'm over eating..so everyone needs to stop assuming im like binge eating or not paying attention to calories because i Definitely am. Not my first time doing this I lost 42 pounds after my first baby in 2020 then got pregnant right as I hit my goal😅 so I had to start from the top again. Well kind of from the top just not as heavy as my first weight loss journey. First weight loss journey I was 189, got down to 136 before I got pregnant with #2. so I was definitely overweight then and i was after my son. I started at 170 pounds after having my 2nd baby. So I definitely making process obviously just not seeing number change where i want it. I'm just confused why it has kind of stalled so much for so long. When I know I'm doing everything right for the most part.

I'll just keep going and try not to weigh myself as much. Maybe once a month since I'm becoming to obsessed with the scale
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited June 2022
    Options
    gpanda103 wrote: »
    Starvation mode is not a thing. If it was… famines wouldn’t happen. Chances are there’s something causing you to hold on to some water or you may be counting wrong

Oh ok, never thought of that good point. So much misinformation online
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Have you taken maintenance breaks? That can help counter the effects of adaptative thermogenesis (often called 'starvation mode' but it isn't what most people think it is).
    Also, a maintenance break takes some stress away and might get things going. Being in a calorie deficit stresses the body (potential water weight retention). When you got stuck, your reflex was to exercise more (more stress and more muscle repair needed) and eat less (more stress), which certainly could cause a stall on the scale.
    So it might be worth a shot to up your intake for a week or two, since you yourself used 'going hard-core' to describe your efforts the past months.

Yeah, I'm going to just go eat to my maintenance and work out which should bring me to 1600-1700 cals with after burn from exercise (and not weigh myself for like a month or two). See if that helps 🤔

Thank you
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I bet you are overestimating calories burnt in exercise and overestimating your maintenance calories. You may need less than 2100 to stay the same size.
  • aakashbhat6745
    aakashbhat6745 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Although it's slightly unlikely with less than maintainance calories, maybe you are going through a body recomposition. In this case you would be losing fat and gaining muscle. So you stay at roughly the same weight, just the percentage of fat and muscle change. In such a case, body weight is not a good measure. Try measuring other body parts.

You fitting better into clothes also hints at this. :)
  • svista
    svista Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maybe start measuring inches? Like the said, might be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time? Also, how's your macro ratios? Do you need to increase your protein intake so you're burning more calories at rest?
    I'm totally with you on the slow loss. It's taking me forever to lose weight. So jealous of people who can drop weight easily. Trying to resist dieting with like keto because apparently the weight melts off.