K..maybe it's just my thought process

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
So I know that people burn more calories when girls are on their girly days and all, and when they are pregnant need more calories...but what about when you are sick? Does your body need a little more calories to help fight off whatever it is that you have? Maybe it's just my mind trying to reason or something...any ideas?

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    So I know that people burn more calories when girls are on their girly days and all, and when they are pregnant need more calories...but what about when you are sick? Does your body need a little more calories to help fight off whatever it is that you have? Maybe it's just my mind trying to reason or something...any ideas?
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea!!...I'm not quite sure what the answer is though. Don't they say "feed a fever to starve a cold"?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    not positive about this, but I do know that when you have a fever, it increases the metabolism slightly, not a lot though, and it usually doesn't last all that long, normally, fevers last less then a day (if they last longer, you should probably see a doctor because it could be something else.), not long enough to do any real work with regards to weight loss, you might be able to burn up a few hundred extra calories, but that is usually offset by your inability to work out that day (If you can work out with a fever and the weakness associated with it, your a better person then me!)