Diabetic menu plan

Options
bearbear1957
bearbear1957 Posts: 5 Member
edited June 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I am pre diabetic with an A1c of 6. I am trying to eat a low carb low sugar diet. Can anyone make food suggestions on here. I am also reducing my portion. Sizes. I am struggling with this app in terms with staying under my calories, yet the app says I am never eating enough protein. Does Myfitness pal have a section just for pre diabetics to help them not get diabetes and lower their glucose levels (mine is 103), needs to be under 100. And lower my A1c of 6 to under 5.8. I always feel lightheaded after eating too even with a light meal.
Tagged:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am pre diabetic with an A1c of 6. I am trying to eat a low carb low sugar diet. Can anyone make food suggestions on here. I am also reducing my portion. Sizes. I am struggling with this app in terms with staying under my calories, yet the app says I am never eating enough protein. Does Myfitness pal have a section just for pre diabetics to help them not get diabetes and lower their glucose levels (mine is 103), needs to be under 100. And lower my A1c of 6 to under 5.8. I always feel lightheaded after eating too even with a light meal.

Are you over on your other macros? Also, you need to vet your entries. The database is crowdsourced from other users and there are many incorrect entries in the database either due to being entered incorrectly or labels being different in different countries or the item itself has changed their label but the database entry is old.

There is no pre-diabetic section...and the good news is that it's not actually a disease but rather a warning indicator. I was pre-diabetic when I started with glucose at 109. Regular exercise was probably the biggest factor in lowering my numbers and then losing weight. I didn't really go low carb, but I cut way back on sugary treats and snacks...ate plenty of veg and fruit and whole grains, etc.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Food suggestions would be lean protein (chicken, pork, lean beef cuts) and vegetables. Really focus on filling up with those. You can include some whole grains (whole wheat bread, brown rice, quinoa) but you'll probably want to limit them (fill up on the other other stuff first, but you can also have some whole grain, basically)
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am prediabetic also. It is coming to my attention that some keto melas are ok, probably breakfast for sure. I am trying to make my breakfast more protein and skipping bread which is hard for me. nuts are good for snacks, white cheese sliced strawberries. It's small steps toward a better goal of avoiding diabetes. a light lunch can be cold meat/cheese slices, nuts, fruit, raw vegetables
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to Diabetes.org. It's the U.S. site for good up to date info.

They have nutrition info and meal plans.

You can change your macros on Myfitnesspal if your doctor or dietician thinks you need to, but really pre-diabetes can often be controlled with just weight loss and exercise. Good luck!
  • FinishMay72
    FinishMay72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also pre-diabetic. What macros are best?
  • jkohler0377
    jkohler0377 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also pre diabetic. I am going to focus on moving more and cutting out the refined carbs and sugary treats. I am a sweet tooth fanatic so it's gonna be tough but well worth it. Start by thinking eating "clean" no processed foods, lean cuts of meat, veggies and fruit, whole grains.
  • boberg1239
    boberg1239 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here are 3 excellent books to guide you in your diet to prevent the advancement of diabetes.
    1. Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes (he can also be heard talking about this on the youtube channel Physicians Committee)
    2. Mastering Diabetes by Cyrus Khambatta, PHD and Robby Barbaro MPH. Both of these authors have type 1 diabetes and have dedicated their lives to learning how to live healthy with their diabetes and to reversing type 2 They can also be found on many of the scientific you tube channels
    3. Healthy At Last by Eric Adams. Black male who was diagnosed with diabetes and became determined to find a solution. This is his story.

All 3 of these books agree on the basics and the type of diet (plant based whole foods) that most helps people prevent, reverse, manage their diabetes. They will also admit that Keto diets help in the short term because of the weight loss but there are problems with the keto diets that are explained in the books