Gaining vs Exercise

Options
Aight so this is my new favorite section of these forums, as I'm 5'7 and probably just shy of 130 right now. I've been trying to build muscle for the last year+, but have been off the wagon for a while. That said, when I was really going hard, I put on about 8 pounds in 6 months, which was great, but my question is, with someone like me whose metabolism burns so hot, doesn't working out 5 or 6 times a week slow me down in terms of muscle growth? I like doing that much exercise, but I already have to eat about 3000 just for maintenance, and when I work out hard I have to go up to 4000 a day some times, and it's just insane. Haha

Is this a "suck it up and eat that much food" kind of thing, or should I scale back on workouts to like... 3 times a week and just do resistance/core work as opposed to any cardio?

Replies

• FitnessMind_SS
    FitnessMind_SS Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you get to a point that you're having difficulties or significant discomfort due to the amount of food you have to eat then it makes sense to reduce activity to help remedy that.

The alternative would be to choose more calorie dense foods if the issue is food volume.

How much cardio are you doing?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    If you get to a point that you're having difficulties or significant discomfort due to the amount of food you have to eat then it makes sense to reduce activity to help remedy that.

The alternative would be to choose more calorie dense foods if the issue is food volume.

typically one heavier cardio day, and if I do a second it's usually a bit lighter, but yeah I hear ya on food density, but when you're aiming for 4000 cal you just pretty much have to be eating all the time. lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

typically one heavier cardio day, and if I do a second it's usually a bit lighter, but yeah I hear ya on food density, but when you're aiming for 4000 cal you just pretty much have to be eating all the time. lol

Ultimately you're going to have to balance out:

1) Your love for cardio.
    2) Your discomfort with the amount of calories you need to eat.
    3) Your stance on high calorie food choices, and I say this because if you're not opposed to pop tarts (as an example) they can really provide relief to people who can't stomach the food volume they need to bulk and this is especially true if you're one who only eats whole foods.

And you will need to balance those variables to end in a caloric surplus.

If it were me, I'd dump the heavy cardio day (or significantly reduce it) and consider a 4 day training split.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would dump the cardio completely.

If you're worried about cardiovascular fitness, do some barbell complexes after your lifting a few times per week. They can be completed pretty quickly, and they don't really burn that many cals.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

1) Your love for cardio.
    3) Your stance on high calorie food choices, and I say this because if you're not opposed to pop tarts (as an example) they can really provide relief to people who can't stomach the food volume they need to bulk and this is especially true if you're one who only eats whole foods.

If it were me, I'd dump the heavy cardio day (or significantly reduce it) and consider a 4 day training split.

Fortunately I don't actually have much of a love for cardio, so that works out.

As for 2 and 3, you're right in that I need to figure out what's important to me - balancing ease and convenience with nutrition and caloric intake. Obviously you know where I stand in terms of nutrition, and I'm not going to ever go the magerum route of 50% of my calories coming from ice cream and pop tarts, but that said there's clearly a place for incredibly calorically dense foods as long as the rest of my diet is nutritionally dense. It's all a balancing act.

But appreciate the input man. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

1) Your love for cardio.

Then I'd do what Rock says and dump it. Maybe swap in 1 pop tart. Just one. Then you can come back and make a post that says

"Ok guys I'm sorry. I FINALLY see why you all talk about Pop Tarts, these things are amazing"

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

1) Your love for cardio.

Then I'd do what Rock says and dump it. Maybe swap in 1 pop tart. Just one. Then you can come back and make a post that says

"Ok guys I'm sorry. I FINALLY see why you all talk about Pop Tarts, these things are amazing"

Poptarts suck. I'd rather accept that Reddy is correct before saying "these things are amazing"
  • CoachReddy
    Options

1) Your love for cardio.

hahaha i've had plenty of pop tarts, and I'd agree with taunto that while they're tasty, they hardly qualify as "amazing"

however, ben+jerry's and the ****in' home made cookies I can get at the local bodega? dude. DUDE.

And one pop tart is only 200 cal, I'ma need way more than one.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This thread is blowing my mind
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

1) Your love for cardio.

hahaha i've had plenty of pop tarts, and I'd agree with taunto that while they're tasty, they hardly qualify as "amazing"

however, ben+jerry's and the ****in' home made cookies I can get at the local bodega? dude. DUDE.

70545-Jesse-Pinkman-what-gif-imgur-lWaL.gif
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    drink whole milk instead of some water...peanut butter, ice cream...

but seriously, some of the "crap" food makes GREAT food to add in addition to foods you're used to eating because they won't cause as much intestinal distress due to lack of bulk.

4000 "clean" calories is just miserable.

one of my favorite quotes pertaining to bulking:
    eating clean" is not a useful concept. Big Macs are
  • CoachReddy
    Options

hahaha i've had plenty of pop tarts, and I'd agree with taunto that since they taste like cardboard, they hardly qualify as "amazing"

70545-Jesse-Pinkman-what-gif-imgur-lWaL.gif

**** my bad dude. :bigsmile:

EDIT: fixed it for you.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Wow, wish I had your problem lol
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Yea I was gonna say...Isn't Ben & Jerry's like supposed to be all natural and organic? Pint or two of that a day?
  • andresconejo
    Options
    I wish i had that metabolism. WHY DO YOU? IS it because geneteic or just because you're very active?
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a buddy that eats EVERYTHING he wants and at one point was spending $60 a month on supplements to just maintain an extra 10 lbs. He has given up on it and although he is very lean he is very buff. Dude does P90X like there is no tomorrow. Some people were meant to be lean and others not so much. I hope you find what works for you and makes you happy!

I have never had this "issue" but I understand putting on the weight can be just as difficult as taking it off. Good luck! :D

~Glynis
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I wish i had that metabolism. WHY DO YOU? IS it because geneteic or just because you're very active?
    genetic, my mom and grandfather are/were both genetically thin respectively.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I have a buddy that eats EVERYTHING he wants and at one point was spending $60 a month on supplements to just maintain an extra 10 lbs. He has given up on it and although he is very lean he is very buff. Dude does P90X like there is no tomorrow. Some people were meant to be lean and others not so much. I hope you find what works for you and makes you happy!

I have never had this "issue" but I understand putting on the weight can be just as difficult as taking it off. Good luck! :D

~Glynis

haha sounds like you pretty much just described me. :P

thanks!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I tried a "clean foods" only bulk one time. (FYI I do eating comps from time to time and IF so I eat big meals all the time) I had a salad bowl FULL of rice, potatoes, other veg and chicken. It took me over an hour to eat and felt like *kitten* after.

That was the last time I tried that :laugh:

and yeah, I'd just drop some cardio and eat more ALL NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER :happy:

of your 5-5 sessions per week, how much is RT and how much cardio?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    3000 calorie maintenance

45-60 minutes HEAVY lifting = ~200 calories

3000+200+100 (for surplus) =3300. Not 4000

3100 cals on non workout days
    3300 cals on workout days.