are stir fry vegetables healthy?

Options
are stir fry vegetables healthy? I eat them at the cafeteria so i have no idea how much is used

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    are stir fry vegetables healthy? I eat them at the cafeteria so i have no idea how much is used

It all depends on what's in it.
    If you make it yourself it can be a very healthy meal.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories will come from the oil - it depends on how much was used.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

This. And the type of oil too.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Measure out a tbsp or less of oil when cooking. If the vegetables absorb more than this, add water. I would say overall, not really. I was eating stir fried veggies and brown rice from a take out place everyday and they didn't seem that oily, but contributed to my weight gain. In the end it's about portioning and known how much oil goes into the meal.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently unhealthy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure that every single person in history that ate stir fry veggies has eventually been found dead. draw your own conclusions from that.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure that every single person in history that ate stir fry veggies has eventually been found dead. draw your own conclusions from that.

No man left behind...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

they're fine, but if you're getting 'em from a cafeteria they probably have far fewer nutrients left than fresh veggies would, but don't freak out about it.

and are you really from New York, North Carolina? Because I've never heard of such a place. :tongue:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    are stir fry vegetables healthy?

Depends, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on how they are made.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

This. And the type of oil too.

It does not depend. Oil/fat has 9 calories a gram and it does not matter if it is liquid lard or Olive oil.......at least from a calorie standpoint. Health is of course a different matter.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

they're fine, but if you're getting 'em from a cafeteria they probably have far fewer nutrients left than fresh veggies would, but don't freak out about it.

and are you really from New York, North Carolina? Because I've never heard of such a place. :tongue:

so the big meanies in the cafeteria kitchen steal the nutrients out of the veggies before serving them to unsuspecting patrons? do they embezzle them and take the poached nutrients home to feed them to their own families?

WHY ARE CAFETERIA WORKERS SO MEAN?
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The veggies are healthy. The salt, soya sauce and bbq sauce they add to it is not.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Depends on how they are prepared. Can you ask the cafeteria for an ingredients list?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The veggies are healthy. The salt, soya sauce and bbq sauce they add to it is not.

BBQ sauce in a stir-fry? I have never heard of this before.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about the oil, but I would about the sodium content. That makes me retain water like the ****ens and often messes with the weight loss.

Basically when someone else makes food for you, you 're at their mercy. So, yeah, you're going to have to ask someone in the cafeteria how it's prepared. I would also let you know that more than one cup of brown rice (and any rice) can really start adding up calorically (it's only about 250-400 depending how much oil is in it, but cafeteria portions are kind of generous).

My advice would be to eat the cafeteria food, ask how it's prepared and eat a couple pieces of fruit a day, and drink plenty of water to help flush your system of the sodium.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Apart from Jesus. And Elvis.

Who am I kidding. Elvis never ate vegetables.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure, without all the crap.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    What's the calorie count of the vegetables and the sauce?

Will the calories of the meal put you over your daily goal?

Are you diabetic or allergic to any of the ingredients?

What's YOUR definition of 'healthy'?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...The...bbq sauce they add to it is not.

Wut?! BBQ sauce in a stir fry? Sounds atrocious. :noway:
  • MiriCotton
    Options
    Like everyone else has already stated, stir fried veggies can be healthy depending on what ingredients are used. The veggies are obviously quite healthy, if anything, the type of oil & quantity would be the only thing that could ruin the dish (salt & flavorings too!).

I don't what type of cafeteria you're referring to (one in a school, food court(?), etc.) but a majority of school cafeterias can give you an ingredients list upon asking.

I've learned to always ask for ingredients as sometimes they're surprising! At one of my old schools I would always order a cranberry-walnut spinach salad with a "light" strawberry vinaigrette. Just the name sounded healthy, but when I finally asked for the ingredients list I found out it was, essentially, processed junk. Candy (sugar) coated cranberries, glazed walnuts, and the strawberry vinaigrette? Sugar, vinegar, artificial colorings & flavors. I don't know why they couldn't use something natural like, I don't know, strawberries. So much for "light."