My 1st Ever Race!

Options
I have my very 1st race on Labor Day! It is a 4k. I have been training about a month - before that, I have NEVER ran (though I am very active in other ways.) My friend is completely freaked out because she is afraid we will come in dead last. I wasn't too worried about it, but she got me a little nervous.

We run in between a 9 and a 9 1/2 minute mile. I didn't think this was horrible (though I know it isn't fast either!). Do you think this is an acceptable time? Starting to get nervous in the final days! lol

Replies

• Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think just starting and finishing a race is amazing!!! Good Luck!!! :)
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think just starting and finishing a race is amazing!!! Good Luck!!! :)

Thanks!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, 4 and 5 km races always have walkers! If you run the whole thing without stopping, I bet you'll come in around the middle:D
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, 4 and 5 km races always have walkers! If you run the whole thing without stopping, I bet you'll come in around the middle:D

This. A 9:00-9:30 mile is actually a pretty good pace for a new runner. And even if you did come in last, who cares? Just go, have fun, enjoy the atmosphere and know that no matter what happens, you get to set a new PR.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    if you're running under 10/min a mile then you definitely won't be last, that's pretty quick for just running a month. Besides even if you did come in last, the only thing that matters is finishing the race
  • LynneM150
    LynneM150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i did my first "race" in July. It was 5k and i walked the whole thing. It took about an hour and i certainly wasn't the last to finish. I'm proud that i even finished it and by next year hope to be able to run it (or at least jog). Just be proud of how far you have come and for having the balls to try it. Good luck and I'm sure u'll be fine. :)
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous! Run when you can, walk when you cant :) I am doing my first half marathon on Sunday and using the Galloway running method and a 1:1 ratio (1 minute run, 1 minute walk)
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You are definitely making me feel better! I wasn't really worried until my friend started freaking me out. I am in pretty good shape - I have been working out 6 days a week for years. I just hate running so I never did it. I like having a goal and running certainly does that, so I have gone out of my comfort zone. I still hate running, but I like the way I feel because I do it! Yes, I run the entire thing at a pace of 9-91/2. So I will be happy coming in the middle!
  • shelllord
    shelllord Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi i do the race for life 5k in 30mins and there are hundrends of people behind me so im sure you will be fine x
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    I have my very 1st race on Labor Day! It is a 4k. I have been training about a month - before that, I have NEVER ran (though I am very active in other ways.) My friend is completely freaked out because she is afraid we will come in dead last. I wasn't too worried about it, but she got me a little nervous.

We run in between a 9 and a 9 1/2 minute mile. I didn't think this was horrible (though I know it isn't fast either!). Do you think this is an acceptable time? Starting to get nervous in the final days! lol

Congrats on your first race! I'm doing my 35th road race on Labor Day! Worst case scenario: I have come in last before, and it's really not bad. It's not traumatic or anything. It happens! But a 9-9:30 per mile pace almost certainly won't put you in last place! Have fun!