Coconut Oil Anyone?

Options
brendalea74
brendalea74 Posts: 9 Member
I recently made a recipe for no-bake chocolate/oatmeal cookies. It called for coconut in place of butter. They were super yummy and very low on calories. The receipt called for 1/4 c of coconut oil. I am curious if anyone else has used coconut in their cooking and how?

Replies

• GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use organic unflavored coconut oil anytime I need to saute or fry something. I just use a little bit to moisten the pan and it works wonderfully.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I recently made a recipe for no-bake chocolate/oatmeal cookies. It called for coconut in place of butter. They were super yummy and very low on calories. The receipt called for 1/4 c of coconut oil. I am curious if anyone else has used coconut in their cooking and how?

I use it for baking banana bread, banana muffins, plain cake, pancakes, in smoothies, frying, making curries. Its the best.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is reputed to be very healthy. I'd love for you to share the cookie recipe.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    We use organic raw coconut oil in a lot of our cooking (mainly Indian dishes), I love it!
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pork chops taste awesome when they are pan grilled with coconut oil~
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil in my morning coffee
    Use it to oil baking pans when baking chicken, pork chops etc or breads/cakes/muffins
    Use it in a skillet for pancakes, fried chicken, shrimp, etc
    Use it in melted unsweetened chocolate for candies

I'm sure there's something I left out as I use it every day
  • Butterflymomto2
    Butterflymomto2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love Coconut Oil! There is research out there about the benefits of using raw organic coconut oil in cooking, baking. Even putting it on your body is good!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I use unrefined coconut oill for so many things but for cooking I use it:

- In my oatmeal and eggs
    - On toast instead of butter
    - When popping plain popcorn
    - In stir-fry
    - To lightly grease a pan instead of using veg. oil
    - Other times I would just eat a tablespoon raw if I'm missing some healthy fats in my macros for the day

Could you post the cookie recipe pretty please? :)
  • brendalea74
    brendalea74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will definitely post the recipe! Thank you all for the ideas. Now I know what I can do with it! Yay! Here's the recipe:

1/2 c pure agave nectar
    1/4 c cocoa
    1/4 c fat free milk
    1/4 c coconut oil
    1/4 c natural peanut butter
    1/4 c unsweetened coconut flakes
    2 c old fashion oats
    1 tsp vanilla
    Pinch of salt

In medium saucepan mix together agave and cocoa over medium heat. Stir in milk and coconut oil and boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter, coconut flakes, oats, vanilla and salt. Scoop by tablespoon onto wax paper and refrigerate 15-20 min. Store in airtight container in fridge. Makes 24

I just calculated the calories based on the ingredients I bought. 91 calories each. Still not too bad for a rich chocolatey cookie! You could probably reduce calorie content by the brands purchased.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I use it for everything I cook. I stir fry with it, I put it in breads, desserts, whatever. I make salad dressing with it (mix with some vinegar and pom juice and shake well, note it has to be 76 degrees to be liquid, so only m ix enough for one salad at a time because refrigeration would make it turn solid).
  • haylsquish
    haylsquish Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has been my favourite find since i started my new healthy lifestyle!
    I love to use 1/4 tsp to make my breakfast omelettes/scrambles. It tastes buttery and it works better on higher heats than any other oil i've tried.

46967410.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Tools

http://thediaryofacheesecakefanatic.blogspot.co.uk/
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My daughter uses coconut oil for everything from homemade heath & beauty products to cooking. I made black bean brownies the other day that had some in them and they were fantastic!

Here are some other ideas:

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/02/160-uses-for-coconut-oil/

http://www.fasttopten.com/list/top-ten-uses-for-coconut-oil-other-than-cooking

http://www.naturalnews.com/036028_coconu_oil_health_solutions.html

Edited to add:

Oh and here is the recipe for the brownies...not only were they really good, but they were extremely simple to make. Flax and water in the bowl of the food processor, to sit while I measured everything else. Dumped everything else in and blended, then spooned into muffin tin. I added a sprinkle of chopped walnuts on top. Everyone loved them and there was only one vegetarian in the group.

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I use it in my hair.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Mainly I have been using it in my coffee - I am nursing and it makes the best baby milk! I am also using it for diaper rash cream and skin lotion.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I cook everything in coconut oil. Well, everything that requires oil. :)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I use it for pretty much everything except for pancakes... holy macaroni my apartment was a smoke fest!!!
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've never used it for cooking but I love it for my hair and skin.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I feed it to my Shepherd daily and use it as a moisturizer on dry spots and whatnot. There are TONS of recipes online for cooking with it!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Love it as a skin moisturizer! Have cooked a bit with it when sauteing vegetables.
  • jamgirl19777
    Options
    coconut oil can be used for all types of cooking, some African American myself included use it in our hair, it moisterizes the scalp