Recipes Using Mince

Options
georgieamber2
georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
Hey! I’m looking for some new recipes involving mince that aren’t chilli / meatballs🤍

I’m vegan but please offer omni recipes (I can tweak them!)🤍 I use half a pack to make two meals of meatballs. But I’m stuck on what to do with the other half of the pack (it’s getting too hot for chilli!) 🤍

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I mix mince and canned beans for my summer tacos/wraps. IMO, mashing the beans and cooking them with the mince and taco herb mix delivers more of the meaty flavour than adding the beans separately.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Brown mince and add tomato-based sauce (from a jar or can or homemade). Use to top cooked pasta, or in baked pasta dishes like lasagna or ziti (although if the weather is too warm for chili, you may feel it's too warm for baked pasta dishes. Same with "meat" loaf -- seems more like a cool-weather dish to me.

You could put the cooked mince on a pizza, but that probably wouldn't use up a lot of the leftover mince per pizza.

I suppose you could make burgers from it, but that seems like a lot of work since you can probably buy pre-made vegan burgers at the same price per pound (at least in the U.S. you could, but I'm assuming from the use of the word "mince" that you're not in the U.S.).

Maybe try substituting the mince for ground pork in ma po tofu?

Or combine cooked mince with melted vegan cheese (including some vegan cream cheese as well as a cheddar or jack "cheese" might be nice), canned or fresh diced tomatoes, and canned or fresh hot peppers (like jalapenos, habaneros, etc.), and serve it as a dip with tortilla chips (tortilla crisps? -- sorry, not sure what they're called outside the U.S.), pita bread, or whatever you prefer.

I'm realizing that, other than burgers, I don't use a lot of mince of any kind (I'm not vegetarian, but I do eat veggie mince as well as meat and poultry-derived mince) during the warmer months, other than to occasionally make burgers. Most of the other things I make with mince tend to be heartier "pots" and "casseroles" types of foods, which I don't do much of in the warmer part of the year.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the recommendations! These all sound amazing 😍😍😍
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    One last thought -- make two more meals' worth of meatballs with the leftover half package of mince, and freeze it until the next time you want meatballs.
  • ryanfe3112
    ryanfe3112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my mum makes an amazing taco style soup, mince, onions, peppers, tinned tomato, taco seasoning, mixed beans or sweetcorn. I make a cottage pie