Quitting Smoking and Gaining weight

Options
Ok So i decided enough is enough. If I truly want to be healthy then I need to quit smoking as well as eating right and working out. I am trying to minimize the weight gain, does anyone have any tips? I know to burn an extra 100-200 calories a day plus drinks lots of water but I already burning anywhere between 500-1000 calories just in my workouts and I drink about 100oz of water everyday. What other ways are there? Please help.... I feel like if i gain 5-10 pounds from quitting smoking then I will either start smoking again or just get discouraged with my weight gain that I will just eat everything.

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    i did 20 jumping jacks every time i wanted to smoke. It makes you breath and it takes your mind off it. it burns calories. Most people gain when they quit smoking because they replace one oral fixation with another (food) so if you are aware of what you are putting in your mouth you should be good.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I quit smoking in April and I did put on about 6 pounds but I read that you would have to gain 50 or more (some say 100, even!) to offset the health benefits of quitting smoking.
    The most discouraging thing was that my metabolism is taking FOREVER to adjust to the lack of nicotine--it does raise the metabolism, you know. You are much younger than I am and I am sure your metabolism will adjust quicker.
    My body is starting to let go of the weight again, though, and I really think it was all worth it. I feel SO much better and can work out for a lot longer now, too!
    Quit! It's even better for your health than losing weight!
    Almost forgot--I went for walks whenever I got a craving! Thanks for reminding me, Robin!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I don't think I gained any weight when I kicked my pack a day habit. Many people find themselves fighting the urge to bring their hand to their mouth or having something in their mouth when they gain. Its easy to say just don't do that and you'll be fine, but it is the truth.

Here are some ideas; 1) you need to figure out what your issue with smoking is, when you need one. For me it wasn't the having it in my mouth but the fact that it became routine for me to have one every second I was outside and the very second I got in my car. If you can figure out your triggers you'll have more success. 2) if it is an oral fixation or an hand to mouth fixation find some suitable replacement. Gum, if you need something in your mouth or hard diet candy. If you need the motion think vegetables and have them cut up for immediate needs.

I found a counseling number and they talked to me about stuff, but the best thing was that they called me once a week to check on me. It was better than talking to family and they were 100% non judgmental. But what works for one person may not work for another.

Trust me, it is not easy to quite...Most people who quite try quitting about 7 times before succeeding. I tried probably at least 5 times, if not more, before it worked for me and I tried everything till I figured it out. It is seriously hard to do, but you can do it! Find the support out there when you need it, try a bunch of different things till you find something that works, and mostly DON'T GIVE UP just because you relapse.

Good luck! I know you can do it!
  • laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    Well I had my last cigarette yesterday at about 2pm so i am past the 24hour mark. I went to the store today and almost bought a pack but instead I bought a watermelon, same price but healthier. I quit smoking when I got pregnant with my first child. Then when she was 18 months old I started again while my husband was deployed. I quit before he got home and he never knew. My husband deployed for his second tour back in March and guess what...I started smoking again. So I have only been smoking for 4 months but I really dont like it and I just want to kick this habit once and for all. I am pretty sure i smoke when I am bored. So a walk every time I feel bored should help.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good for you, laurenpence! Quitting smoking has been weighing heavily on my mind recently. I know I need to quit and right now I'm trying to decide if I should wait two more weeks until I'm done with classes for the summer or just suck it up and deal with quitting during finals...

Are you using any particular support website or any nicotine replacement? Good luck to you!
  • laurenpence
    Options
    No support except for her, and I can't tell my husband Im quitting cuz then he would know I was smoking. I am just thinking of how much better my skin will look, how much easier it will be to run, my clothes won't smell and I wont be spending $80 dollars a month on cigerates. I am not using any nicotine replacement I have just been keeping busy to not think about it and when I do think about it I drink 32 oz of water over a 7 min time period (the time it takes to smoke a cigeratte) So that way i am replacing something unhealthy for something healthy. Good luck to you bluelikejazz. I cant tell you when to quit but I think the sooner the better just so you can get to a heatlhier you quicker!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    Options
    How's it going today lauren? I have one cig left and I think I'm going to give it a go after that. I just keep feeling so guilty about smoking while making all these other healthy changes. Also, the other day when my husband and I went for a bike ride, I was huffing and puffing up a hill while it wasn't having much effect on him and he teasingly asked me, "Whoa, are you okay?" In the past, since I weighed 40 lbs heavier than him, I have snapped at him and said, "I breathe heavy 'cause I'm fat, shut up about it already!" But I realized I could no longer use that excuse 'cause we're about the same weight lol. So I know my smoking has an effect on my workouts.

Hope you're doing well and getting close to being over the hump! Hopefully around this time tomorrow I'll be able to say I have 24 hours in, too!
  • labelleariane
    labelleariane Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I quit on May 10th and never touched it back since. I didnt gained either, because I started to workout few hours a week.

I noticed maybe my metabolism is slower for weight loss(5lbs in 3 months, with daily cardio), but after 2 months it seems better. I started to lose pounds more efficiently since I increase my vo2max and run daily.

Keep the faith!
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    It was really hard for me to quit, its been 6 years and I still crave, especially when I am cutting back on food! Because I smoked outside I always felt I was still missing out on those breaks, so what I did was buy a bag of sunflower seeds and when I would crave I'd go outside and sit and have a handfull of them! Something to do with your hands and your mouth and still got that break!
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I quit in October of 09 and have found myself with an additional 5 lbs to fight off. I know I am healthier for it but it can be frustrating. I am extremely active (I work-out a minimum of 1.5 to 2 hrs daily) so I know that helps but my problem tends to be weekend munching. Try and identify triggers that make you want to smoke or eat and nip them in the bud. I try and pop a piece of gum when I get the urge to smoke or munch. It is a journey but well worth it! Good luck!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know I completely understand wanting to smoke while your husband's deployed.
    My husband's deployed as well (4th combat tour, Marine Corps) and I have had the urge to take up smoking - and I don't smoke! The stress is truly incredible.
    Working out is my stress-buster. I try to work out every day even if it's in a small amount. My rest days still contain a walk or a small jog or WiiFit. It's the only way I stay sane.
    You can do it!
    -Support from another milspouse
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I don't smoke but my husband did so I just wanted to say congrats! and good for you for not using a smoke aid. Before he quit he did some reasearch and realized that those smoke aids are actually just prolonging the addiction. I think it's something small like a few days and the nicotine is completely out of your system anyways so using those just drags out the process...he tried them 3 times and then quit cold turkey and that was the only time it stuck for him.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I quit last May (2009) after 30+ years of smoking. I didn't use any chemical aids. I did use the $$ I was saving and joined a gym and started using MFP. I lost 15 pounds and have never relapsed.

I wrote this to a friend recently, who is having issues with compulsive overeating.
    My biggest enemy in recovering from my addictions was my own brain. Oh I could argue my willpower into submission like none other! Such reasonable arguements too!

No one will know. (I will)
    It's just this once. (It won't be)
    It's not hurting anyone. (It's hurting ME)
    I can't go without. (Yes I can)
    I'll do better tomorrow. (Do better NOW)
    I need this. (No, I don't)
    It's just ___<Insert justification here>___ . (Shut up self, I am stronger than this desire)
    Everybody does it. (No, they don't.)

It helps if you can identify your self-talk and overwrite them with talk designed to control the addiction.

Good luck and hang in there! It will be worth it...
  • laurenpence
    Options
    Just so every one knows I am past the 48 hour mark! I even went over to my friends house and she is a smoker. I went out side with her and she offered me one and I was very pleased to hear myself say no. I haven't really had any headaches which is good But when I get bored I do want to smoke but I just think about the reasons why I am quitting. Thank you all for the support!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    Options
    Great job lauren, so happy for you!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You're doing great, Lauren!
  • zeeohhsix
    zeeohhsix Posts: 41
    Options
    I quit about 9 months ago. I gained weight but then started working out .im back down to what I was in high school and in feal great knowledge is power with quiting. I used quit smoking message boards alot of support and knowledge base there. I recently had a friend say to me how do you feal now that you can't smoke. my reply was I can smoke I chose not to, how do you feal knowing that you have to smoke.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I like that a lot...'I can choose to smoke if I want to, how do you feel knowing you HAVE to smoke?'
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Good for you on making a great choice! I made the mistake of smoking for 12 years and haven't had a puff in over 2 years now.

The important part from here on out is to just not smoke.... I wouldn't consider you 'quit' till you've gone 1 yr without a single one.

That means avoiding your triggers that give you urges - you will have time later to get a grip on your triggers, but in the meantime you should just focus on not lighting up. Even if you get the most uncontrollable urge and you have to rush to target and buy some nicotine gum, that would be a small victory in my book.

If you do gain a little weight, thats ok, so long as you don't waste that effort by lighting up again - you will have time to readjust later.