Sugars in fruit.

SAJERO
SAJERO Posts: 1 Member
I have a question regarding sugars in fruit. My tracker is always over on sugar due to the fruit I eat. Should I reduce fruit or not worry about this?
Please help..

Thanks,

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Don't worry about it. . . unless you're eating a whole lot of fruit, and for me that has um, other consequences.

5-8 servings per day of whole fruit and/or vegetables is the recommendation.

I do try to stay below 100g total sugars daily, including lactose, fructose and sucrose.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Unless you have reasons to watch sugar ((pre)diabetes for example) I really wouldn't worry about it. Generally, it's recommended to avoid too many added sugars (since those are usually in less nutritious foods) but since most labels don't (or didn't in the past) distinguish added sugars from natural ones, MFP has a goal limit for total sugars.

You might find this interesting regarding added sugars:
    https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/data-statistics/added-sugars.html
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Ignore it unless you eat so much fruit you are lacking in other things, like protein, healthy fats, or vegetables. If you are eating plenty of veg, have enough protein and have reasonable amounts of healthy fats in your diet, don't worry about sugar from fruit. Fruit is good for you!
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Sugar in fruit and stuff like that is much different than added sugars
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    gpanda103 wrote: »

Only because the sugar in fruit comes with other nurients. Other than that, your body doesn't discriminate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Why is the fructose in the fruit I eat different to the fructose in my sports drink?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    SAJERO wrote: »
    I have a question regarding sugars in fruit. My tracker is always over on sugar due to the fruit I eat. Should I reduce fruit or not worry about this?
    Please help..

Thanks,

I was over my MFP default sugar goal every day during weight loss (and for 6+ years of maintenance since). It was almost entirely from fruit, sweeter veggies, and the inherent sugars in no-sugar-added dairy foods. I lost weight fine, and health markers improved. I did make it a point to get adequate protein and fats, which I'd recommend that you do also, for best odds of continuing long-term good health.

Absent a pre-existing health problem (such as diabetes) that requires you to manage carbohydrate intake carefully, it's fine to eat lots of fruit in the context of overall good total nutrition.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited June 2022
    sijomial wrote: »

Why is the fructose in the fruit I eat different to the fructose in my sports drink?

The quantity of fructose per gram in the sports drink is very different from the quantity of fructose per gram of a piece of fruit. And the fruit comes with fiber. How much fiber does that sports drink have? But you are correct in that fructose is fructose is fructose is fructose. Take that sports drink, mix it 50/50 with water, and add some Metamucil powder to it... they'd be fairly similar
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Are you hitting your calorie goal? If so, then don't worry about it. Fruit is yum.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Only because the sugar in fruit comes with other nurients. Other than that, your body doesn't discriminate.

And? It doesn’t matter if calories are in check. If you are insinuating “fruit bad” then… I guess that means more bananas for me
  • glassyo

And? It doesn’t matter if calories are in check. If you are insinuating “fruit bad” then… I guess that means more bananas for me

Ok, first of all, I eat a banana every day. Stay the *kitten* away from my bananas. 😁

And did you miss the part where I said fruit has nutrients? Where did you get I think it's bad??

Bur, yes, calories are king for weight loss/gain/management.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

The quantity of fructose per gram in the sports drink is very different from the quantity of fructose per gram of a piece of fruit. And the fruit comes with fiber. How much fiber does that sports drink have? But you are correct in that fructose is fructose is fructose is fructose. Take that sports drink, mix it 50/50 with water, and add some Metamucil powder to it... they'd be fairly similar

But I don't want to be taking in fibre when I'm cycling long distances, I just want the easy availability of energy from the glucose/fructose mix. My perfectly adequate fibre intake comes from the rest of my diet.

Care needs to be taken making statements that are factually incorrect. It can lead to a mistaken focus on the individual components of a diet rather than diet as a complete whole.

"Fruit is different to straight sugar" would be true but that's also something that really doesn't need saying!
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Its all about balance. Calories will affect your weight the most, but where you get your calories from affects how you FEEL and PERFORM. I do 750g berries daily and performance/skin/mood has always been amazing.
  • sollyn23l2

But I don't want to be taking in fibre when I'm cycling long distances, I just want the easy availability of energy from the glucose/fructose mix. My perfectly adequate fibre intake comes from the rest of my diet.

Care needs to be taken making statements that are factually incorrect. It can lead to a mistaken focus on the individual components of a diet rather than diet as a complete whole.

"Fruit is different to straight sugar" would be true but that's also something that really doesn't need saying!

You could also just as easily get the fructose from a coke or mountain dew... they're all the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

You could also just as easily get the fructose from a coke or mountain dew... they're all the same.

As a semi-retired endurance cyclist, a Coke or Mt Dew isn't going to travel very well on a bike, nor will the bubbles feel particularly good. Sports drinks are also infused with electrolytes which need to be replenished when you're cycling for hours at a time. Sodas don't have electrolytes.
  • sollyn23l2
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

As a semi-retired endurance cyclist, a Coke or Mt Dew isn't going to travel very well on a bike, nor will the bubbles feel particularly good. Sports drinks are also infused with electrolytes which need to be replenished when you're cycling for hours at a time. Sodas don't have electrolytes.

Oh, so you're saying the source you get your fructose from does... in fact... matter. Thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited June 2022

Oh, so you're saying the source you get your fructose from does... in fact... matter. Thank you.

That's not really what I'm saying at all....but thanks for playing. In the context of endurance cycling or endurance sports of any kind a sports drink is superior to a soda because it has electrolytes and travels well on a bike...has zip to do with the fructose aspect. Fructose is fructose is fructose.
  • glassyo
    I think the point is don't not eat fruit because of the sugar and don't not drink a sports drink because it doesn't have fiber. 😀

And where's the op? Ate too much fruit?

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited June 2022
    I think the point is don't not eat fruit because of the sugar and don't not drink a sports drink because it doesn't have fiber. 😀

And where's the op? Ate too much fruit?

lol

I think I had the first reply in the thread, "Don't worry about it."

Maybe he got his answer (?)

Ya'll took it to a whole other level of debate, though.
  • sollyn23l2

That's not really what I'm saying at all....but thanks for playing. In the context of endurance cycling or endurance sports of any kind a sports drink is superior to a soda because it has electrolytes and travels well on a bike...has zip to do with the fructose aspect. Fructose is fructose is fructose.

And if the source didn't matter, you wouldn't consider ANY of those other variables, is my point. The source matters specifically because of all those other variables you so kindly mention.