GoLo Release

Does GoLo Release work and is it safe?

Replies

• PaulyJoMomma
    PaulyJoMomma Posts: 105 Member
    I just started GOLO here recently. B) I take the Release as directed and I also comply with the prescribed well-balanced meals structured so that you choose 2 Proteins - 1 Carbohydrate - 1 or 2 Vegetables - 1 Healthy Fat from a chart that lets you select just about more things than you would think. <3 Since they instruct you to stop snacking, I was concerned that I would be left hungry in search of said snacks to keep me satiated, but that hasn't been the case. I've been pleasantly & comfortably full. :) They also instruct users to eliminate regular and diet soda, processed food, diet, and low-fat foods, and pretty much eliminate sugar just about entirely. :'( I thought this was going to be harder than it actually turned out to be. The Release apparently is doing an excellent job of curbing my cravings so far. <3 There are other items provided in a list that one should limit intake of all for the purpose of eating in a more clean way, detoxing your body of the chemicals and additives that are so prevalent in a lot of today's food found in the grocery store --especially those pesky center aisles! >:)

So far I have lost 5 pounds. B)<3

I just took measurements of myself (that I track on here and in a free app I got from the Apple AppStore) to establish a baseline and plan to measure myself in those several areas about every week so I can track/monitor changes in those areas as well. B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,791 Member
    Endorsing Riverside's post.

There's a high level of skepticism around here - that I share - about expensive(-ish) supplements that make great claims.

Almost always, the site/supplement has fine print somewhere with wording like ". . . when used in conjunction with recommended diet and exercise program." Funny how all different kinds of supplements, even some exercise equipment and other claimed weight-loss aids, make that same statement.

Why is that? It's because it's the diet and exercise program doing the heavy lifting, giving the results.

If a person has belief in the supplement (or whatever), that can be helpful. That's classic placebo effect.

Many people think "placebo effect" just means "imagination". That's not correct. Placebos can have literal physiological effects on the body. Why? Mindset affects biochemistry.

Here's the abstract of a research study:
    Objective: To test whether physiological satiation as measured by the gut peptide ghrelin may vary depending on the mindset in which one approaches consumption of food.

Methods: On 2 separate occasions, participants (n = 46) consumed a 380-calorie milkshake under the pretense that it was either a 620-calorie "indulgent" shake or a 140-calorie "sensible" shake. Ghrelin was measured via intravenous blood samples at 3 time points: baseline (20 min), anticipatory (60 min), and postconsumption (90 min). During the first interval (between 20 and 60 min) participants were asked to view and rate the (misleading) label of the shake. During the second interval (between 60 and 90 min) participants were asked to drink and rate the milkshake.

Results: The mindset of indulgence produced a dramatically steeper decline in ghrelin after consuming the shake, whereas the mindset of sensibility produced a relatively flat ghrelin response. Participants' satiety was consistent with what they believed they were consuming rather than the actual nutritional value of what they consumed.

Conclusions: The effect of food consumption on ghrelin may be psychologically mediated, and mindset meaningfully affects physiological responses to food.

Simple terms: What these people thought about food they were consuming changed the hunger/appetite hormones their body produced. The same would be true of supplements, I'm sure.

There are numerous studies showing similar effects. It's not that we can think our way into anything whatsoever, it's that certain things are significantly influenced by our expectations, habits, and understanding. I don't know of any studies suggesting that weight loss per se is one of those things . . . but appetite and cravings certainly are.

But there are plenty of studies demonstrating that the right combination of calorie intake and activity will lead to weight loss.

If you like the GoLo supplement and think it's worth the cost to you for the effect on helpful subjective factors like appetite or energy level, it's probably not injurious (other than to the wallet).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    The general rule of thumb is that if it's legal, it doesn't work and if it works, it isn't legal.

I'd generally be suspicious of anything that claims to cure absolutely everything that could be bothering you, all in one "proprietary blend".

Looking at their website, I'd also note that nothing they claim to cure is something you can readily quantify. It's allegedly good for connective tissue. How would you know what state your connective tissue is currently in and how would you know if the supplement was actually doing anything to improve that?

As far as safety, be aware that the supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA. They can literally put anything they want into those capsules, as much as they want to use, put it on the label or not, and there is no one to say otherwise. It doesn't have any readily identifiable stimulants, if that's what you mean by "safe", but I sure as hell wouldn't pay $60 any unregulated supplement of questionable efficacy.

I'm certainly not advocating for GoLo, but that's not how the supplement industry works in the US. Here are just two paragraphs from a long article:

https://www.fda.gov/food/information-consumers-using-dietary-supplements/questions-and-answers-dietary-supplements

...Under the FD&C Act, a firm is responsible for ensuring that the dietary supplements it manufactures or distributes are not adulterated, misbranded, or otherwise in violation of federal law. If a manufacturer or distributor makes a structure/function claim (a claim about effects on a structure or function of the human body), a claim of a benefit related to a classical nutrient deficiency disease, or a claim of general well-being in the labeling of a dietary supplement, the firm must have substantiation that the claim is truthful and not misleading. Facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or hold dietary supplements or dietary ingredients for consumption in the United States must register with FDA, as required by the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 and implementing regulations, before beginning such operations.

FDA is responsible for enforcing the laws and regulations governing dietary supplements. To identify violations, the agency conducts inspections, monitors the marketplace, examines dietary supplements and dietary ingredients offered for import, and reviews NDI notifications and other regulatory submissions for dietary supplements (e.g., postmarket notifications of a structure/function claim or other claim made under section 403(r)(6) of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 343(r)(6)). We also investigate adverse event reports and complaints from consumers, health care professionals, other regulatory agencies, and industry.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    The general rule of thumb is that if it's legal, it doesn't work and if it works, it isn't legal.

I'd generally be suspicious of anything that claims to cure absolutely everything that could be bothering you, all in one "proprietary blend".

Looking at their website, I'd also note that nothing they claim to cure is something you can readily quantify. It's allegedly good for connective tissue. How would you know what state your connective tissue is currently in and how would you know if the supplement was actually doing anything to improve that?

As far as safety, be aware that the supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA. They can literally put anything they want into those capsules, as much as they want to use, put it on the label or not, and there is no one to say otherwise. It doesn't have any readily identifiable stimulants, if that's what you mean by "safe", but I sure as hell wouldn't pay $60 any unregulated supplement of questionable efficacy.

I'm certainly not advocating for GoLo, but that's not how the supplement industry works in the US. Here are just two paragraphs from a long article:

https://www.fda.gov/food/information-consumers-using-dietary-supplements/questions-and-answers-dietary-supplements

...Under the FD&C Act, a firm is responsible for ensuring that the dietary supplements it manufactures or distributes are not adulterated, misbranded, or otherwise in violation of federal law. If a manufacturer or distributor makes a structure/function claim (a claim about effects on a structure or function of the human body), a claim of a benefit related to a classical nutrient deficiency disease, or a claim of general well-being in the labeling of a dietary supplement, the firm must have substantiation that the claim is truthful and not misleading. Facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or hold dietary supplements or dietary ingredients for consumption in the United States must register with FDA, as required by the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 and implementing regulations, before beginning such operations.

FDA is responsible for enforcing the laws and regulations governing dietary supplements. To identify violations, the agency conducts inspections, monitors the marketplace, examines dietary supplements and dietary ingredients offered for import, and reviews NDI notifications and other regulatory submissions for dietary supplements (e.g., postmarket notifications of a structure/function claim or other claim made under section 403(r)(6) of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 343(r)(6)). We also investigate adverse event reports and complaints from consumers, health care professionals, other regulatory agencies, and industry.

Yes to all this! Thank you!