Cancer and Fitness

Options
I know this is a different topic, but I wanted to know if anyone is undergoing chemotherapy and continuing to stay fit. In 2019, when I retired, I joined MFP to track my weight loss. I am 65 years old and successfully lost 70 lbs (220 lbs to 150). I was intermittent fasting and exercising. I gave myself three years to reach my goal, but hit my goal weight on February 28, 2021, five days after learning I had non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I had no symptoms, but was part of a research study that used a blood test to determine 50 types of cancer. I had a follow-up PET scan and biopsy to confirm I had Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma, stage 1. Had my first chemo immunotherapy on April 30th. I have had three treatments so far, with my last scheduled for July 10th, then start three weeks of radiation therapy.

I have tried to maintain my weight loss during this unbelievable journey. Between chemo, steroids, pure exhaustion, and terrible side effects I have gained nine pounds since treatment started. I have chemo every 21 days and you kind of live this life of week one you feel pretty pooped, week two your immune system is very weakened and you need to be careful, and week three is my great week where I feel pretty good.

I have limitations on what I can do for exercise because I have a Picc line in my arm. I have been a cyclist for many years and I had to stop riding outside. My bike is on a trainer in my house. I cannot lift weights or use a resistance band. I can do cardio and core exercises. So on week one I walk 30 mins in the house each day since I am not sure on my feet. On week two I complete 30 mins of cardio three days a week and 30 mins of bike riding three days per week. I walk my dog everyday for at least 30 mins as well during weeks two and three. On week three I am alternating between cardio and bike riding for 45 mins per day. I also intermittent fast during week three only. I do watch my calories during the other weeks, but I don’t track since I need to just get calories in.

I am trying to keep up my “normal” routine as much as possible. Exercise is my escape and I just feel better afterwards, and I think it has helped my mental mood as well. I want to be ready to get outside on my bike when I am given the ok so I am doing my best to maintain my strength. Before diagnosis I was riding 20 miles every other day. So it will take a while to build up to that again.

Has anyone else continued to work out during chemo treatments? What worked for you?

Sherrill

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I don't have great answers for you: My cancer treatment (for stage III breast cancer) was almost 20 years ago, just shortly before the new guidance that exercise was helpful during treatment. Oversimplifying, they were still telling us to rest more, not exert, during treatment.

Nonetheless, I wanted to comment just to encourage you to continue to do what you can, without overdoing. That's really inspiring!

I was told - and I'm betting this would still be reasonable advice - not to try to lose weight during treatment, but rather to shoot for maintaining weight (even if overweight) and get as much good nutrition as possible.

This is the current American Cancer Society guidance, though you may already be familiar with it:

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorship-during-and-after-treatment/be-healthy-after-treatment/physical-activity-and-the-cancer-patient.html

I'm cheering for your course of treatment to be as smooth and easy as possible, and very successful!
  • TwoWolfDancing
    TwoWolfDancing Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have cancer, but I do have chronic and severe asthma. I have to pay close attention to my ability to breathe while exercising. If I am coughing, I don't exercise at all. If I am exercising and start coughing, I stop. By doing my exercise this way, I am able to do what I can, when I am able. Best wishes on your journey.
  • Gardensoul57
    Gardensoul57 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I saw my oncologist today and he is happy with my progress to date. I have gained 9 pounds so far and I am maintaining this weight gain. I just did not want to gain a lot of weight due to inactivity and not following my weight loss plan.

The chemo therapy I am going through (RCHOP) is pretty intense. I am hoping my final chemo treatment is this Sunday. After that radiation therapy with its own set of issues. My Picc line comes out on July 22nd. So happy about that. After that is out I will be able to cycle outdoors and go swimming. Exercise is encouraged now with cancer treatment. They don’t want you to overdo it, but they want you to move. I know this has helped me from having problems with treatment. I am so close to finishing and will be thrilled to hear the words that I am in remission. It has only been a little over four months since I had my diagnosis, but it seems a lot longer. I watch my heart rate, breathing and notice any fatigue while working out. I always slow it down and definitely spend more time cooling off and stretching afterwards. I just want my “normal” life back.