Healthy diet resulting in upset stomach?

Options
BlueBombers
BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
Hi,

I have been on my new lifestyle kick for about 6 months now with awesome results. Lately though I find my stomach gets upset when I eat something I don't eat often like takeout or even spicy foods at times. I made healthy chicken fajitas the other day and I thought I was going to die. Even certain fruits bug me now. I just get bad stomach cramps and sorry to be blunt but end up in the little girl's room.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do to help? I have been adding a bit more protein since I am lifting now, so not sure if that is the problem. I eat as healthy as possible and I drink lots of water.

I used to have an iron stomach, not anymore.

Thanks!

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had this problem too. Typically after 3+ months of eating healthy. For me, it was two different things causing it.

1) My diet was too low fat. This was back in the 90's (I am an old!) when people really strove to cut ALL fat. I was eating <15% of calories from fat, and it gave me an inflamed and blocked gallbladder from underuse. Then when I did get a little fat in my food, my system didn't know how to deal with it, gallbladder got all pain pain pain.

I don't have a gallbladder anymore, so that is no longer an issue. But I still get nervous when my dietary fat starts trending below 25% of calories. I habitually eat a little peanut butter a several times a week to make sure my body never "forgets" what dietary fat is like!

2) High fiber. I eat a pretty high fiber diet even when I'm not watching my diet, so when I am dieting my fiber can get REALLY high. Obviously, that can cause some distress too. Gas-X tablets really help me when an attack comes on. Drinking plenty of fluids all day also helps.

One basic thing that can help more than I thought is just being careful to not accidentally fast -- don't go too long between meals. Keep your tummy working a little bit all day long.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new healthy lifestyle!
    Have you considered taking a probiotic? It will help to repopulate your gut with beneficial bacteria which should make an improvement to your health generally as well as your gastric health.
    Not all probiotics are the same, however, and it would be wise to do your research to find out the best brand in the country where you live. The one I use is probably the top brand in Australia "Inner Health Plus" and each capsule contains approx 25 billion viable bacteria that is resistant to stomach acid.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Someone posted the other day that the bacteria in our stomach/intestine adapts to be able to break down what we normally eat. So when we eat something outside our normal diet we get "distress". Sounds legit. I know that when I eat low fat for a couple months and then have a Wendy's burger I feel super sick and gross. Not sure about the issues with spicy food, but you're not alone.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. Was starting to get worried and wondering if I should go see my doctor.

I think I do need to add a little fat to my diet, I agree.