Exercise calories

Options
joanscamp
joanscamp Posts: 1 Member
Does anyone reduce their calories burned on their diary?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,372 Member
    Options
    Do you mean: only eat back part of the extra calories you get from being active/exercising?

I eat all of them because experience has shown me that I can: I lost weight without issues, even a bit faster than expected.

Other people find they can only eat part of those calories or even none at all:
    - because those calorie numbers are inflated (depending on the source, type of exercise,... they can be more reliable or less reliable)
    - because it logging is inaccurate and they're eating more than they realize (not eating exercise calories offsets the logging errors)
    - because their metabolism is slower than average (MFP uses formulas based on population averages to calculate someone's calorie goal, but people can be unaverage, both under or over the average)

I would suggest doing an experiment during 1 or 2 months/menstrual cycles by eating back a fixed proportion of those exercise calories (e.g. 100%, 50%) and seeing if your weight evolved as expected. If losing faster than intended, eat back more exercise calories, if losing more slowly, eat back less of them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    When I log my cycling I overwrite the MFP suggested calories with my own numbers are they are far more accurate.
    For my strength training I don't change the numbers as it's a reasonable estimate for something that can't be estimated any better (outside of a metabolic chamber....).

The oft parotted "only eat 50%" for all types of exercise isn't an idea based on good estimating methods. For different kinds of exercise the MFP database might be high, low or reasonable or simply not the best way to estimate particular exercise types.
This discussion has been closed.