Bright Line Eating

Looking for BLE friends!!!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't know how popular BLE is on this site. It's really restrictive. In general - food addictions are pretty hard to discuss on these main forums...here's the Search results: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?query=bright line eating&scope=site&source=community

Have you thought about joining one of the Overeaters Anonymous threads? They have a lot of over-lapping rules/methods.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?query=overeaters anonymous&scope=site&source=community
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    BLE is very popular, but because we don't typically count calories and record our foods, I suspect that's why not many are on here. Thanks for your help...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    twooliver wrote: »
    BLE is very popular, but because we don't typically count calories and record our foods, I suspect that's why not many are on here. Thanks for your help...
    Huh. To me that's like spending money without knowing or checking your balance. Eventually somewhere down the line something happens. But good luck with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• faithcelesteskousen
    faithcelesteskousen Posts: 1 Member
    I love BLE! I’ll be your buddy. 😁
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    I don't know how popular BLE is on this site. It's really restrictive. In general - food addictions are pretty hard to discuss on these main forums...here's the Search results: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?query=bright line eating&scope=site&source=community

Have you thought about joining one of the Overeaters Anonymous threads? They have a lot of over-lapping rules/methods.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?query=overeaters anonymous&scope=site&source=community

Calories are not any more restrictive than most plans and it promotes a whole food diet. Am I missing something here?
  • neanderthin
    edited June 2023
    twooliver wrote: »

Funny, that's the exact opposite of the diet designed by Dr. Bright. Apparently all foods are weighed and measured and all calories are accounted for.
  • cmriverside
    edited June 2023

Calories are not any more restrictive than most plans and it promotes a whole food diet. Am I missing something here?

Not calorie restrictive, but it restricts certain foods like wheat and sugar which are common "trigger foods" for a lot of people. Restrict in BLE means total abstinence from wheat and sugar. That's really harsh, IMO.

The other parts of BLE are fairly reasonable...I just don't like any kind of plan that tells me a food is off-limits. That sets me up for feeling sneaky or guilty if I do eat it. It's the same thing in OA, only worse - in OA you have a sponsor for accountability/"confession" on your abstinence and that really rubs me the wrong way.

I do agree with limiting wheat and sugar, I'm just not on board with complete abstinence (restriction) from them.

...Also, I posted that a year ago. This is why I don't like posting! I have to come back a YEAR later and defend my position! :lol:

Nice to "see" you, neanderthin. I know you live to disagree. Meeeeee too.
  • neanderthin

Not calorie restrictive, but it restricts certain foods like wheat and sugar which are common "trigger foods" for a lot of people. Restrict in BLE means total abstinence from wheat and sugar. That's really harsh, IMO.

The other parts of BLE are fairly reasonable...I just don't like any kind of plan that tells me a food is off-limits. That sets me up for feeling sneaky or guilty if I do eat it. It's the same thing in OA, only worse - in OA you have a sponsor for accountability/"confession" on your abstinence and that really rubs me the wrong way.

I do agree with limiting wheat and sugar, I'm just not on board with complete abstinence (restriction) from them.

...Also, I posted that a year ago. This is why I don't like posting! I have to come back a YEAR later and defend my position! :lol:

Right. Well I believe I did see shredded wheat as an option, but your right I didn't see any added sugars, although if someone wasn't exactly vigilant there may be some hidden in the yogurt which seems to be a familiar food. Anyway, it's a healthy diet from what I can see that also addresses the hormonal signaling which imo isn't necessarily a bad thing, and you really can't blame a whole food diet on someone's inability to follow it. I suspect adding a little sugar like honey isn't the end of the world, but for some people it's a slippery slope.
  • cmriverside

Right. Well I believe I did see shredded wheat as an option, but your right I didn't see any added sugars, although if someone wasn't exactly vigilant there may be some hidden in the yogurt which seems to be a familiar food. Anyway, it's a healthy diet from what I can see that also addresses the hormonal signaling which imo isn't necessarily a bad thing, and you really can't blame a whole food diet on someone's inability to follow it. I suspect adding a little sugar like honey isn't the end of the world, but for some people it's a slippery slope.

If you look up the actual BLE, shredded wheat isn't part of it. Wheat and sugar are off-limits. I know there are meal plans that are done by other people on the internet which have some whole wheat, but Bright Line Eating says No wheat, No added sugar.

...and in one of your posts up-thread you said, "Dr. Bright" - it's actually Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D who invented it - there's no "Dr. Bright" :no_mouth:
  • neanderthin
    edited June 2023

If you look up the actual BLE, shredded wheat isn't part of it. Wheat and sugar are off-limits. I know there are meal plans that are done by other people on the internet which have some whole wheat, but Bright Line Eating says No wheat, No added sugar.

...and in one of your posts up-thread you said, "Dr. Bright" - it's actually Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D who invented it - there's no "Dr. Bright" :no_mouth:

Ok, thanks for the corrections. Yeah, that was another talking about it and added shredded wheat. I've found the actual diet and yep, no wheat or sugar. Not very low carb or ketogenic but both of those ingredients are either elimanated or reduced greatly, so yes very restrictive, but it's an option where foods could be added back in if they don't trigger or effect a person, so I could see adding either of those to make it more compliant while minimally effecting hunger hormones, it's really an individual thing. Personally I consume both but I'm aware of the consequences if I over do it. Basically I agree with your original assessment when a diet is overly restrictive, there can be unseen repercussions, much like the ketogenic diet. Cheers
  • catholichic4life
    catholichic4life Posts: 1 Member
    Hello - i just wanted to say CREAM OF WHEAT is listed in SPT’s book BRIGHT LINE EATING page 137 as a breakfast grain!! today is my first day - thought i’d try a true BLE breakfast and be good and log it here & look for support while i’m eating & i can’t get thru 1 meal in peace- lol - i’m having a banana, 2 oz peanut butter and 1 oz dry shredded wheat- i have watched tons of BLE vlogs & i know i’ve seen shredded wheat used in “what we eat” vlogs… i also remember seeing no wheat somewhere & i just figured the food goddesses changed their minds & added wheat back in - or whatever. i’m doing it w/shredded wheat until i can get clear answer… 🙂🙃
  • cmriverside
    edited August 2023
    Hello - i just wanted to say CREAM OF WHEAT is listed in SPT’s book BRIGHT LINE EATING page 137 as a breakfast grain!! today is my first day - thought i’d try a true BLE breakfast and be good and log it here & look for support while i’m eating & i can’t get thru 1 meal in peace- lol - i’m having a banana, 2 oz peanut butter and 1 oz dry shredded wheat- i have watched tons of BLE vlogs & i know i’ve seen shredded wheat used in “what we eat” vlogs… i also remember seeing no wheat somewhere & i just figured the food goddesses changed their minds & added wheat back in - or whatever. i’m doing it w/shredded wheat until i can get clear answer… 🙂🙃

Yeah. I think I misspoke earlier in the thread. Apparently it's flour that is off limits.

I have to say, grinding up that Cream of Wheat would make flour...not sure how BLE thinks it's that much different...maybe it's about the glycemic index or something but then what about almond flour?

I'm not a fan of BLE, but I think you can find their recommendations easily online. It's flour (all kinds of flour) and sugar - I think! Definitely don't listen to me.

I have an eating compulsion problem with certain foods, but it's not only flour and sugar - I have a long list of stuff. Wheat is on my list, but maybe it is just flour that sets me off, not Cream of Wheat. I mean flour has to be mixed with things and cooked to make it edible - so maybe it's the stuff-it's-mixed-with that is the problem. The "flour but not Cream of Wheat" doesn't sound right to me, but what do I know? Don't you have to mix it with water, milk, probably butter and sugar or salt?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited August 2023
    This FAQ page existed in 2019 but the link no longer works:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I read the first few chapters or so. I was more or less with her re the science, but strongly disagreed with her conclusions, from which she formed her Bright Lines. They may be appropriate Bright Lines for her, but they are no means universal. Her claiming that the rules she developed for her should be followed by everyone with similar issues makes her come across like a keto-evangelist or a vegangelist, and lose credibility with me.

https://brightlineeating.com/faq/

...The four Bright Lines are sugar, flour, meals, and quantities. In other words, no sugar (whole, fresh fruit is okay, but fruit juice and dried fruit are not, nor are any artificial sweeteners or added sweeteners such as honey, agave, stevia, maple syrup, dextrose, sucralose, aspartame, saccharine, and similar products); no flour (of any kind—not even whole grain flour, oat flour, almond flour, or coconut flour—because it's the processing that dictates how it will affect our brains); eating only meals (for most people it's three meals a day with nothing in between—snacking and grazing are not allowed); and weighed and measured quantities (food is either weighed with a digital food scale, or a "one plate, no seconds" rule can be adopted).

I borrowed the book for free from my library.
  • LaurieJ68
    LaurieJ68 Posts: 22 Member
    I do Bright Line Eating and it is a great plan. I have always known that I was a sugar addict and, when I get off track, I can really see how my brain craves the sugar and flour products! When I am off track, all I think about is eating sweets or what my next flour product is going to be. And I eat them. And I eat them. And I eat them. Until my stomach hurts. When you eliminate those things from your diet you can learn to feel stomach hunger rather than mouth hunger. I sometimes get in trouble with my quantities but I was off sugar and flour for almost 2 years and felt really good. Cravings for those things were almost completely gone! Read the book. You will learn a lot about why you eat the things you do and how it perpetuates a cycle of binging.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    I had to look into this because I never heard of it. Sounds interesting, I might check it out and see if I can get the book at the library.

I can relate to abstinence. Since I'm a carb addict/sugar addict, and have trouble controlling myself around many foods and they tend to drive me crazy, I realized I cannot do moderation. I abstain now altogether from all added sugars, most sweeteners (I do use them sparingly on occasion), all grains, most legumes, high carb veggies & high carb fruits.

Some people think this is highly restrictive; I guess it depends on the person. I don't feel restricted at all. First time in my life I feel free, like I am no longer controlled by my addictions. I no longer suffer from restless days/sleepless nights fighting off cravings or binging. And, I enjoy the foods that I do eat, just in different ways now.

As for measuring, I do think there are certain diets where it's not as necessary. Some people might need to, others might not. I've known people who went vegan, for example, and gave up tracking because the diet itself kept them satisfied enough not to overeat. As long as they stuck to whole healthy foods and eliminated the junk (and stayed away from the fake meats and such), they did fine.

For myself, since I started high fat/low carb, I don't track as often anymore. I just keep a mental count of my carbs and keep it around 20g or less. Since most of what I eat is low carb anyway, it's not hard. Mostly the only things I need to measure are fruits, esp. if I 'splurge' on a medium-carb level fruit like apples, pears, oranges, or grapes.

I used to track religiously when I was on the ADA balanced diet but the lower carb I went I found I get full long before I go over my calorie or macro limits. My daily calorie allowance is 1500 but when I track I find I'm eating between 1100-1200 and I'm more than full and still losing, so meticulous tracking juts isn't necessary and eyeballing it tends to work fine.

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,304 Member
    I investigated BLE for about a year some years ago ... don't know if it's changed since then. I never joined up or paid the fees to become a member but did take away all the promo stuff that was for free and did subscribe to the pod casts about it. And ...
    ... Like most plans, if you look closely enough and apply some of the principles you might find a few things that help you along on your journey to better eating plans and improved body composition.
    In my case, I learned how to recognize true hunger instead of eating because it was the time to eat. I also picked up on cues that my body was filled enough so I could stop eating. ... Two very valuable pieces of self knowledge that I have kept from BLE through now.