Runners, how do you protect your feet?

Options
joowelz
joowelz Posts: 170 Member
Running is hard on the feet. Looking for preventive products and techniques.

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hard on the foot in what way exactly?
    Its easier to make helpful suggestions if you say what you are trying to prevent.

If I havn't run for a couple of months when I get started again I often get blisters. Even if wearing very well loved trainers that didn't cause a problem before. It goes away after a week or two, feet just harden up a bit again.

You need properly fitted running trainers, good socks make more difference than you might expect.
    You might also try a few different ways of lacing your trainers, I use a lace lock that helps stop my foot sliding about.

Its good practice in running to increase speed/distance gradually so that you build up without injury. The same principle applies to your feet. As you increase your distance you get used to more time on your feet and they don't hurt so much.
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Thanks. I'm dealing with achy soles and heels. I am prone to plantar fasciatis though i havent had it jn years. Have been running four times a week for 7 months and my feet feel tired of the pounding.

I use $200 runners from the Running Room. New Balance i think?
  • Countandsubtract
    Countandsubtract Posts: 276 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Shoes at Home:
    Hmmm...that is confusing. Maybe I had better recovery because I was in class all day so I wasn't on my feet and I wore (separate) sneakers/flipflops at home. So, my feet didn't really have to deal with the ground directly?
    Also tended to sit (eat/do homework/tv within the two hours afterward) about 4 days of the week. The others I was on my feet for that time.

Running Shoes
    Although...if it's been 7 months: at 1-7 miles a day, I probably would have destroyed one or two pairs of sneakers in that time (or at least gotten them past the point of being useful for running). Even nice shoes eventually wear out.

I guess it also depends on how many miles you're running and how much other use they get.

If you're training for a marathon or ultra-marathon, I might out of my league here. The most I've run in one week was probably around 40 miles, maybe a little more.

Depending on the shoe they may also be better for something like daily wear or weightlifting. It's possible not all of the shoes there are great for hard-core runners, which if you've been at it for 7 months you probably are. They might just be high-sellers.

One shoe test I've heard of is jumping (in the store) and trying to land hard on just your heels. If it doesn't feel like you're on a newly-made outdoor rubber running track, you're going to hurt. I found that the sole under the heel tends to be a little over an inch on good shoes. Some soles seem to come at the sides of the shoe. That doesn't count.

If switching things up one at a time doesn't work, it might be worth talking to a doctor, or specifically a podiatrist if you can manage (possibly one who runs long distances her/himself).

If you are underweight you might not have a lot of padding on your feet. If your overweight or running with weight, it might be increasing the pressure on them.

Running surface:
    If you switch running surfaces a while, it might give you a hint if that's contributing.

Overall
    My money would still usually be on the shoes, running, surface or force with which you hit the running surface.

If you're wearing ballet flats at other times or doing literal ballet (even more so than other types of dance), that could be a big contributer.

I don't have any experience with Dr. Shol's inserts. Mine were some other brand.

Force of Contact:
    If your downstairs neighbors or family say you stomp when barefoot, it's possible adjusting your run could help. (Suprisingly I was both told I run like a fairy princess and that I stomp....must be an interesting Fairy Tale...) I've also been told that a lot of your run should happen on the balls of your feet. (But some say it shouldn't 💁 :/ ) Maybe compare yourself to youtube instructional videos? You could be running flat-footed.

Sorry this wasn't of more help.
  • Countandsubtract
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Since I couldn't figure it out, I googled briefly:

https://www.runtothefinish.com/foot-pain-when-running/

It looks like a pretty good resource.

"Improper shoes for your strike and foot (pronation)
    If you suspect it’s Plantar Fasciitis that’s causing your running foot pain, then don’t worry I’ve got another guide for you."

-the sections for you are probably in the middle
    -plus this section was suprisingly specific
    (Despite the number, you have to scroll down for it.)
    "#1 Wear Shoes That Fit Well...
    In order to have the best fit..."

The same website had this:
    "What about Foot Fall?"

https://www.runtothefinish.com/4-simple-tips-to-improve-running-form/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    joowelz wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm dealing with achy soles and heels. I am prone to plantar fasciatis though i havent had it jn years. Have been running four times a week for 7 months and my feet feel tired of the pounding.

If this is a relatively new issue, it may be time to replace your shoes...shoes have limited mileage and they break down. My wife's a runner and she usually has to replace her runners at about 6 months.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If this is a relatively new issue, it may be time to replace your shoes...shoes have limited mileage and they break down. My wife's a runner and she usually has to replace her runners at about 6 months.

^This. Your shoes can look okay but be worn out. I’m betting you need new shoes, especially if you have been wearing them for 7 months.

• Countandsubtract
    Options
    "relatively new issue,"

True, timing could give you a big clue, unless the shoes were terrible from the start.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    My two cents:

First off get fitted for the right jogger for your feet and your particulars. Have your width, gait, pronation, stability checked. I rotate my running shoes daily. Pretty much a pair for every day of the week. I’d recommend at least two pairs. I tend to sweat profusely so if any wetness in them they won’t be used for the rest of the week. I’d recommend to never run with wet shoes or avoid it as much as possible. Also invest in socks. Don’t confuse my shoe collection with having more money than sense. I can’t stress how much I sweat. And I find any and all deals. Two of my pairs were closest to full price, but still at a reduced price. Several of them I got them for as little as 1/3 of original cost and some at 50%. Keep your toenails trimmed and pay attention when you choose to walk around with no shoes. I also make an effort and buy shoes that protect my feet. I don’t do flip flops, crocs or really any type of shoe that just looks good. That’s a personal pet peeve, but to each their own. Protect your feet they’ll appreciate it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    This is probably not a problem with your shoes. Running stresses practically all parts of your body, feet particularly. I have bone spurs in my big toe knuckles, and those get sore from running. The soles of my feet also get sore. Self massage, stretching of the toes using your hands, and ice are all really helpful.

The best advice when you have pain is the hardest to follow: Cut back on your running. If you want to increase your running load, go slowly and let your body adapt.
  • MLCTX
    MLCTX Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ghost Shoes 100%

For running or walking I have always used Brooks Shoes. They have the best support for me and the Ghost version has been my go to shoe for the last 14 years.

Also try some foot maintenance, massages, pedicures, etc. Lavender foot soaks and tea tree lotion have been useful for me.

Otherwise, I'd check in with a podiatrist for suggestions.

Best of Luck!! ⭐️🤗⭐️
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    MLCTX wrote: »
    Brooks Ghost Shoes 100%

For running or walking I have always used Brooks Shoes. They have the best support for me and the Ghost version has been my go to shoe for the last 14 years.

Side note since individual experiences will vary: I stopped buying the latest Brooks Ghost models. Very comfortable, but they changed the fabric for the inside heel and they wore out in a matter of months (hole in the heel).
    I switched to ASICS Cumulus - not quite as comfortable but a lot more durable.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you actually mean by protecting your feet...I wear good running shoes that fit me and are appropriate for my feet/gait (there may be things that people tell you about what you should wear...but in EVERY case, what you wear should feel comfortable. If they an uncomfortable, they are not the right shoe).

I also pay attention where I'm running. I run on paved routes generally so there is a bit more wear and tear on my shoes (and then prob on my body as well) due to that.

Most important after having good shoes that protect your feet is just being mindful on how many miles you've ran in then. They could look brand new and be spent if you've ran 500 miles on them....so the app that I use to track my runs also tracks the mileage on my shoes.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I can't run anymore at all. Permanently injured feet. With that said, get OFF the cement, get OFF the pavement. run on Dirt. Or run on a school track that has the synthetic rubber.

....and get regular Pedi's. (Take care of your feet.)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Did they do the gait analysis for you? (Running Room is generally pretty good for this)

Have you been running in the same shoes for 7 months? Depending on how far you're running each week they may just be due for replacement as the cushioning breaks down over time. If you've run 500 mi / 800 km they're probably due (having said that Ed Whitlock reputedly raced in the same shoes for around 15 years)

It ultimately comes down to trial and error and, at 7 months, you're a relatively new runner so your body is still going through a lot of adaptations. It's hard to give any really specific advice without knowing what your training volume is.

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    I can't run anymore at all. Permanently injured feet. With that said, get OFF the cement, get OFF the pavement. run on Dirt. Or run on a school track that has the synthetic rubber.

....and get regular Pedi's. (Take care of your feet.)

Understood and appreciated. Those cement tracks and sidewalks make everything hurt. Concrete drains the life out of a battery. How good is it for a body. Concrete floors cause lameness in cattle, joint swelling. The impact load on a concrete surface is cumulative. I take everything back outside and go for the dirt.
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also foot strengthening exercises. Put a towel on the floor and scrunch your toes to pull the towel to you. Repeat 5-8times for 3 rounds. Hang off a single stair and do calf raises. This should be done not in shoes so you can build the tiny foot muscles that support the ligaments I. Your feet.

PF also comes from tight or disengaged calf muscles so stretching those helps too.

Use a hard ball- like a lacrosse ball - to roll your feet. It is the best kind of pain. I actually think that really helped my PF.

And cut back to three days of running instead of four.