Sickness and Weight

Options
Is it just me or does everyone burn lots of extra calories when sick? I'm on my 3rd bout* of COVID (3/2020, 8/2021, 7/2022) and every time I've lost a bunch of weight even though I'm eating at or above maintenance.

Ugh, I see my doctor for my yearly checkup in August and she was adamant last year that I needed to maintain and not lose any more. I've done pretty good for the past year (down like only 1-2 lbs), and now I'm down several more in just 2 weeks sick.

*I'm gold medaling in catching COVID!🥇

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight with covid but I get a lot of quite severe chest infections and often lose a bit of weight then. Could it be fluid loss?
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I got COVID that I had to up my calories quite a bit to compensate as well. I figured my body just needed more calories to fight the infection.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    If you look at your resting heart rate quite often with illness or injury it will bump up 10 to 20 points avg. This means that altho you are not "exercising" your body is working a lot harder to fight or heal. I had the normal flu (felt pretty awful tho) in early 2018 and it took 6 weeks for my resting heart rate to return to normal and my energy to return. I now use that as a gage for my "wellness" and if I need to add calories to help recovery. A lot of folks make the mistake and think they need to cut calories because they arent getting x # of steps or doing normal workouts or sleeping a lot. But your heart tells the true story.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of calories to heal and you tend to not absorb food well and often don’t eat as much. Your tastes change.

Illness is a classic cause of weight loss, although most people experience an immediate rebound after recovery.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lost about 3lbs during my recent bout of COVID.

Managed to stay very active doing chores around the house and garden as I didn't generally feel too terrible.
    On the other hand my usual high volume exercise routine was suspended.

High fever for several days must have been an elevated calorie burn.

Probably most significant was that my sense of taste was badly affected with everything tasting like a combination of iron filings and poo so food and drink simply wasn't very appealing and I just ate for health rather than enjoyment.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 kg through covid, have managed to get 1kg rebound but sadly I think I’ve lost a good chunk of muscle. I’m also in the ‘can’t taste’ stage so like @sijomial I’m just trying to eat for health. It’s an annoying frustrating cycle of not eating enough as I can’t taste and being tired so I’m not moving as much, and not generating appetite 🤷‍♂️