This is what 1,700 calories looks like

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
This is a summit I've been wanting to do for years, but never as a priority. It's a short and very, very steep hike, I usually prefer longer ones. Turns out there are side trails and I was able to spend as much time as I wanted in the Snoqualmie highlands. There was a lot more snow on the ground than I expected, much higher parts of the Cascades are melted out by this point in a typical year.

52208589725_5d980f5d37_o_d.jpg

52208589820_78e3fa3a7c_o_d.jpg

52208116858_e2ce7c80e6_o_d.jpg

52208095371_4a25e7a092_o_d.jpg

52207085287_800887ca23_o_d.jpg

52208116603_5b2b8fbd14_o_d.jpg

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Stunning scenery!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! What was the distance and elevation gained? I'm curious as I evaluate hikes based on average gradient. I can do a 900m climb over 10km, but I can't do the same over half the distance as I found out last summer :D
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    That's so beautiful, NC.

It's been an exceptionally cool spring and summer here in the PNDub. Seems like all of Nature is behind by a month. :)
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Wonderful! What was the distance and elevation gained? I'm curious as I evaluate hikes based on average gradient. I can do a 900m climb over 10km, but I can't do the same over half the distance as I found out last summer :D

To the peak was 2,000 feet (610 meters) over 2.75 miles (4.4 km). Those two lakes that are visible from the summit added some more and I don't have the Garmin app up with the details but they were more level. This was very steep, my group of friends call it "rude" and I'm not sure if they mean whoever made the trail or what.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I got "lost" for a moment. Walked right off the end of a switchback taking pictures of the sun filtering down through the old growth. There was a game trail that just sort of disappeared. Having maps in the watch made it easy to find the most convenient way back to the trail instead of going back up hill to it. I have satellite and topo maps in my phone, and a paper map in my backpack, but they're both in zipper pockets and the Fenix maps are good enough for this.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options

To the peak was 2,000 feet (610 meters) over 2.75 miles (4.4 km). Those two lakes that are visible from the summit added some more and I don't have the Garmin app up with the details but they were more level. This was very steep, my group of friends call it "rude" and I'm not sure if they mean whoever made the trail or what.

Wow, I think I would have had seriously difficulties with that! Can I ask you something, because I always wanted to know: How difficult is such a walk up for you? Were you able to talk to someone or did you have to stop at regular intervals? Did your legs hurt?
    (maybe stupid, but I have a medical condition that makes these kind of walks difficult. I want to know what's 'normal'. When I hike up 900m over 10km then I mange 50-250 steps before I need to stop briefly. 900m over 5km and I partially didn't even manage 10 steps. Yeah, I'm born with it, and it's finally under investigation)
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Wow, I think I would have had seriously difficulties with that! Can I ask you something, because I always wanted to know: How difficult is such a walk up for you? Were you able to talk to someone or did you have to stop at regular intervals? Did your legs hurt?
    (maybe stupid, but I have a medical condition that makes these kind of walks difficult. I want to know what's 'normal'. When I hike up 900m over 10km then I mange 50-250 steps before I need to stop briefly. 900m over 5km and I partially didn't even manage 10 steps. Yeah, I'm born with it, and it's finally under investigation)

At times it was extremely difficult. I try to go at a slower but sustainable pace instead of stopping for breaks, but there were parts that were extremely steep and to maintain any forward motion I had to give it everything I had and was hugging and puffing, followed by a stop for water and rest.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous, as always!!!