What's your easy go to for breakfast?

Options
peavy09
peavy09 Posts: 12 Member
I've always found that the hardest part of dieting or eating healthy is being prepared. Eventually I'll end up astray from normal routine and be in need of a quick fix for breakfast. Living in a rural area with only fast food and gas stations offering breakfast, it can be challenging to find something that's not either fried or dripping with grease.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Light n fit greek yogurt. You can buy it in individual servings or a large tub. Pair with fruit. Recently, I've been chopping up banana (or strawberry/peach/mango) and mixing the fruit with vanilla greek yogurt, spreading it on a rice cake(apple cinnamon, caramel, or chocolate flavor). sometimes with a tsp or so of peanut butter
    For grab and go, just use the individual tubs with a fruit of choice.
    Hard boiled eggs
    Protein latte
    Joseph's pita(only 60 calories)with egg white, avocado, and bagel seasoning
    Rx bar(or other protein/meal bar) and fruit
    Omelette/scramble with veggies

You do need to plan ahead a little, just to have some options on hand, but these are quick easy meals and snacks
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I cook my own cereals in a rice cooker. I usually buy the cereals bulk online via Amazon. The cereals I cook are pearl barley (white and black varieties), millet, buckwheat (which I roast first), black rice, brown rice and sometimes burghal or quinoa. I usually cook up a few cups at a time for the week and leave it in the fridge. Then for brekky I just scoop out a cup of cooked grain, chop up an apple or another piece of fruit, add half a cup of skim milk, some seeds (pumpkin and sunflower seeds), some ricotta and a touch of a jam or preserves. I've been doing this for breakfast for a year or so and can't live without it. In winter I heat the apple and the cereal up in the microwave before putting everything else on.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sunday I made a pan of the best blueberry oat bars that I got from this site. It made 6 servings so I packed them up for breakfasts for all of this week. It was a hit. I am making another pan for next week too.
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have scrambled eggs and oatmeal most days. I eat Coach's Oats and nuke them...4 minutes. While they're nuking I make my scrambled eggs. All in all, it takes me somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes to have my breakfast plated.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Plain whole-milk yogurt with fruit and nuts added (and sometimes Ezekiel cereal if I want more calories).

Also I always carry a protein bar (either Quest or ONE) and a Kind bar in my purse for emergency food situations.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Prepare the night before. Chop/dice/weigh/measure the night before while you're watching a tv show. Log it all for the next day the night before. I do that. Sometimes I do it at 4pm cuz that's when Judge Judy is on lol. if I prep especially veggies like that for next day, my veggie intake is double. Also, set your alarm to get up and eat at home. Saves ya money. Take a cooler with your own food/snacks.

Gas stations have cartons of milk, sandwiches, protein bars, bananas at the checkout. That sort. Think outside the grease hehe.

PROTIP: when I overslept, I could still get eggs/eggwhites/cheese thrown into a saucepan while I was jumping into clothes. Put it in a 4-cup measuring container & ate it while getting to work. ya I know, no eating while driving blah blah blah. Put a handtowel on your lap to protect clothes. it worked. I could get out the door in under 6 minutes and that included hot rollers in my hair ;)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. If I’m running late, I take ‘em on the go! (That’s what secret compartments in purses are for .. lol )
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Faced with a morning rush, I like overnight oats. The night before I layer 1/2c rolled oats, 1/2c milk, 1/2c plain Greek yogurt topped with fruit - usually frozen berries - in a pint jar.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    Generally eggs and normally fried in butter or kefir and some berries. Takes a few minutes.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just do a greek yogurt mixed with some defrosted frozen berries and some protein powder. I have this pretty much every day, it's easy, quick, and fills me up for several hours. Sometimes will throw a bit of granola in to it too, depending on how hungry I am, and what the rest of my day looks like food-wise.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I doubt anything healthy for breakfast can be found at a fast food place or gas station. As peavy09 posted earlier: being prepared helps.

Chia(28g), ground flax(16g), and whey(16g) in black coffee over a few cups. Add a handful of blueberries(28g) to a serving of plain, full dairy Greek Yogurt (3/4 cup). 462 Kcal, 25.5g fat, 14.5g fiber, 14.5g net carbs, 34g protein. Fast, easy and filling, but not as yummy as bacon and eggs.

If nothing else, you could keep an assortment of breakfast, energy and protein bars in your pantry for when you're really rushed for time.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    I doubt anything healthy for breakfast can be found at a fast food place or gas station. As peavy09 posted earlier: being prepared helps.

Chia(28g), ground flax(16g), and whey(16g) in black coffee over a few cups. Add a handful of blueberries(28g) to a serving of plain, full dairy Greek Yogurt (3/4 cup). 462 Kcal, 25.5g fat, 14.5g fiber, 14.5g net carbs, 34g protein. Fast, easy and filling, but not as yummy as bacon and eggs.

If nothing else, you could keep an assortment of breakfast, energy and protein bars in your pantry for when you're really rushed for time.

Gas station convenience stores actually sell real food. Fruit, yogurt, string cheese, hard boiled eggs...

I wouldn't poo poo fast food places either when orders can be customized.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    lol There I go, poo poo'n again. The question was about easy breakfast, not groceries. I take that to mean a meal, but I get your point.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    lol There I go, poo poo'n again. The question was about easy breakfast, not groceries. I take that to mean a meal.

I was just trying to put your doubts to rest in case you or the OP are ever stranded in front of a Circle K and find yourselves starving to death. You CAN find something quick and easy! And even mealish. 😁
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    The Cowboy. Bacon, eggs, potatoes O'Brien, sourdough toast with butter and cowboy coffee. I can throw it together in less than 10 minutes. I do use frozen O'brien potatoes and I precook my bacon.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I hard boil a dozen eggs on Sunday, put them in the fridge and grab two on my way out the door each morning.

When I get absolutely sick of eggs, I combine plain greek yogurt, protein powder and frozen berries in a tupperware the night before and grab it on my way out the door in the morning.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who always has hardboiled eggs on hand. If I have time, I am more likely to have eggs cooked some other way, but if on the go and need to grab something, or home but no time to cook, they are great -- usually with something else I always have on hand like cottage cheese, leftover veg, half an avocado, or some other kind of fruit.

This morning I was in a rush but managed half an avocado, 2 hardboiled eggs, and cottage cheese.
  • psrt
    psrt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light + Fit Greek nonfat yogurt, vanilla flavor, and 50 grams of Catalina Crunch keto cereal, cinnamon toast flavor. 233 calories, 27 protein, 28 carbs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Flavored rice cake, peanut butter, sliced banana, greek yogurt
  • tigrig
    tigrig Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    2 kodiak thick and fluffy protein waffles
    1 oikos triple zero greek yogurt