Bent Over Row: EZ Bar vs Straight Bar

Options
I initially started rowing (years ago) when I only had dumbbells. Once I picked up a barbell and got more serious about lifting I switched to a straight bar. It's easy to notice the potential difference in allowable range of motion when moving from DB to BB. I ended up getting an EZ bar as a package deal when I was looking for used free weights to add to the arsenal. Once I had the EZ bar, I started using it for bent over rows as the wrist position felt more natural (wrists at 30-45° vs parallel to floor). In one of his videos, Jeff Cavaliere discusses when doing a straight bar row to imagine trying to snap the bar in half (similar to snapping a pencil with both hands), which would suggest the EZ bar positioning may be beneficial. I've also seen articles about how the EZ bar row allows for a more natural position of wrists and shoulders. There is a noticeable difference in hand position, as hands are much closer with the EZ bar, which makes me curious as to if there are differences (potential benefits or detriments) regarding the muscle targeting/activation of EZ vs straight bar. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks: Do you prefer one over the other? Do you think it's better/superior or worse/inferior? Is it significantly targeting or engaging a different muscle set? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I've used my EZ-bar for Pendlay rows, and I use the ends of the shaft which is almost flat, because that's just outside foot placement and shoulder width. I have a barbell on the way and will switch to that.

Have you considered getting a double D attachment, and optionally a landmine attachment, and then you can also add T-bar rows to your list? That way you'll have the wider grip with your Pendlay or barbell rows, and close grip with the T-bar rows.