Simply lose weight

Options
Calculating calories of intake is the only way to stay fit for me. It is FAR MORE productive than calculating exercise calories expended. I am 90 lbs lower than 24 years ago because of this consistent, daily practice.

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Can't you do both and find a balance? That's what I'm doing. I track my calories intake. Then when I exercise, now that I'm in maintenance, I add those calories to my bank of available intake.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Can't you do both and find a balance? That's what I'm doing. I track my calories intake. Then when I exercise, now that I'm in maintenance, I add those calories to my bank of available intake.

You can do both, but many people think you can exercise your way out of a bad diet. You can't. There's a reason bodybuilders tend to say abs are made in the kitchen. Exercise is great, but if you rely on it for weight loss and staying in shape, you'll be stuck spinning your wheels, both literally and figuratively.
  • Jarol777
    Jarol777 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are right on target, sollyn23l2.
    I compete 4 times a week with table tennis but I do not add a single calorie. I only keep track of my actual caloric intake goal without adding for exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Well, to be fair, you are allowing for your exercise calories. If you were not, you'd be either gaining or losing weight.

This site just calculates your calories based on the premise that Exercise burns calories, and to use the numbers here, you enter the exercise.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I *could* set my calories to include exercise. Or I can just use it the way it's set up.

If you ate less, you'd lose. Doesn't matter where those calories are calculated - your body counts all of them, and you just adjust.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    (Deleted - wrong thread)