Lietchiskorkpilot3887marinabumber 3 votes
Other
0%

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Not answerable as framed, IMO.

What features do you think you need?

Have you looked at DC Rainmaker's reviews, since you seem at least partially sports-focused? (His sports are different - he's a tri guy - but his reviews are comprehensive and useful IMO - I'm not affiliated with his site in any way, except as a fan.)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

As a glittering generality about some of the top brands, athletes usually like Garmins (they integrate with lots of other apps, have features for many sports), people who are significantly steps-focused often choose Fitbits, folks very attached to the Apple environment who want that smart watch dimension optimized tend to go for Apple watch. However, functionally these and other brands overlap a lot in what they actually do.

As an additional thing, if a person's friend group tends to use a certain brand, and the person finds competition or cooperation motivating, it may be worth considering getting what their friends mostly have.

I like my Garmin, but I'm a rower (boats when I can, machines when I must), recreational cyclist, retiree, and so some random other active things. I use mine for exercise calorie estimates for some activities (where I don't have a better source), for sports stats (especially for rowing), and some general background stuff (like resting heart rate tracking). The sleep tracking works poorly, but I'd expect no better from other brands, based on what I've read - I have atypical sleep issues, besides.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    If "none" was an option I would vote for that.

Gym goer - depends what you actually do at the gym! If it's weights then a tracker would need to have a specific mode for that as HR based estimates are inappropriate for weight training. Or you could just just the strength training category in the cardio exercise diary here which would give a reasonable estimate for most.

Soccer player - HR isn't great at estimating calories for many people and stop/start exercise is particularly inaccurate (likely to be high estimates).

Nurse - you could simply pick Active from the activity settings here to get a reasonable average.