Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt/Gelato/Sorbet Recipe Collection

Options
MelodiousMermaid
MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
Let's start a collection of recipes!

I now have a new kitchen gadget (Ninja Creami) that makes various frozen desserts. I'll share what I come up with, and hope others will chime in with recipes they have made and tested.

All recipes welcome (regular/lite/low-cal/high protein/etc.).
Tagged:

Replies

• MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    @springlering62 Could you please add some to this collection?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Fastest and easiest is:

1 can of pineapple tidbits in own juice, including juice.

Mix on sorbet setting and may need to run again on remix setting.

Makes 2 half pint servings at 109 calories each, if memory serves.

On any of the recipes that follow you can use fat free Greek yogurt or skyr. Skyr costs an arm and a leg, so I make my own. It’s easy to make, and a gallon of skim milk makes half a gallon of skyr, which is enough for about nine or so containers of ice cream. (The rest is whey, which you drain off, but which is fantastic in baked goods or added to smoothies.)
  • springlering62
    Options
    0ywwuz58itvh.jpeg
  • springlering62
    edited July 2022
    Options
    fcza4fa82xw2.jpeg

I keep several flavors of chocolate Skinny Syrup in the pantry. This works well with any of them.
  • springlering62
    edited July 2022
    Options
    29nof8hwz2pz.jpeg

I may ditch the emulsifier. I find it makes for a very artificial strawberry taste, and isn’t necessary with this many strawberries.

I usually do this one with either a coconut or a vanilla/almond skinny syrup.
  • springlering62
    edited July 2022
    Options
    guz9gdkqd34a.jpeg

This one is awesome with whipped cream and half a graham cracker crumbles on top.

There’s also a sugar free apple pie filling in a can that makes a great ice cream addition. It seems like a lot of calories but spread out over six servings it’s very reasonable.
  • springlering62
    Options
    lcs6bkl7rngv.jpeg

I love this one. It’s very rich and creamy, and fantastic with whipped cream and a small sprinkle of lemon honey granules.
  • springlering62
    Options
    wo469bkc8uf6.jpeg

Great with Walden Farms chocolate syrup and a few grams of chocolate hagel.
  • springlering62
    Options
    bbc0ivfnk1ut.jpeg
  • springlering62
    Options
    4w1gln9ciz5r.jpeg
  • springlering62
    Options
    nqu2ji4ie7ct.jpeg
  • springlering62
    Options
    ycnl170ot5xv.jpeg
  • springlering62
    edited July 2022
    Options
    jh982dcwftpu.jpeg
    ****use enough of the syrup the peaches were packed in to fill to fill line
  • springlering62
    edited July 2022
    Options
    9rsgl7it3w2u.jpeg

Ambrosia is a southern holiday treat and usually includes shredded coconut. I used coconut skinny syrup but may add a pinch of coconut the next time.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    You're a gem, Spring! I look forward to adding my own finds/spin-offs soon -- takes several days to cycle through a pint (hoping a bit of pudding will lead me to my first post next week). Have a spin-off of your vanilla base in for freezing and will be having my family taste-test it tomorrow night (and from there I hope to have it lead to a Snickers-esque ice cream with add-ins).
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    @springlering62 Dear Master of the Skyr... would you please teach me (and anyone who happens to read this who's interested) your ways? Considering the price of Skyr locally ($6.49 is the best I've seen at the places I shop), I'm willing to invest in rennet and maybe even a yogurt bag for draining, though I do have cheesecloth towels I could sacrifice to the cause.
  • springlering62
    Options
    It’s very easy to make Skyr. This may not be perfect or authentic, but it works for me.

Skyr is made identically to Greek yogurt except for the addition of rennet, which technically (or so I’ve read) makes Skyr a “cheese”.

Use skim fat-free milk.

Bring your skim milk slowly up to 180-190 degrees, stirring occasionally to keep the bottom of the pot from burning.

Allow to cool back down to 110.

Carefully scoop off any “skin” that may have formed on the sofa.

Meanwhile, if you don’t already have filtered or purified water, boil a cup and let it cool down to room temp

Stir 1/2-1 cup skyr into the cooled milk. Stir well til the skyr melts into the milk, taking care bit to scrape the bottom if you accidentally burnt it (easy to do with milk!).

Add 8-12 drops liquid rennet to the water and then stir well into the pot.

Cover the the pot with a lid and wrap with a thick towel. Put it in an oven with the oven light on. The fermentation inside the pot combined with the tiny bit of heat from the oven light is just enough to keep it at the right temp. You do not need to turn your oven on. Even setting it to “proof” or “warm” is too much!!

The longer you leave it in the oven, the tarter it will get, so you’ll have to experiment.

I usually do a gallon of skim milk at a time, so I use two Eurocuisine strainers, available on Amazon.

Gently scoop the now-thick milk into the strainer and stick it in the fridge.

(If the bottom of your pot burned, be careful not to scrape any burnt parts into the strainer. )

The whey will drain off, leaving the skyr on top.

If you used a Eurocuisine strainer, take the lid off while holding the basket, flip them over onto the counter and give it a gentle tap. The skyr will drop out as one solid lump.

If you forgot to take it out of the fridge and the skyr got too thick, just add some whey back and mix it with a stick mixer until it’s a texture you like.

(Btw, sometimes I keep a few ounces of the extra thick stuff and use it like a Philly spread.)

SAVE your whey (I put mine in Mason jars and store it in the fridge). Whey is amazing for pancake batter, cakes, bread doughs, biscuits etc. Substituting whey for water will make them rise extra well. Some people use the whey in smoothies, because whey contains protein. (If you use whey for pancakes, don’t add it til the last minute because it will bubble and make your batter fluffy, but deflates within 10-15 minutes.)

Eat and enjoy but be sure to save 1/2 - 1 cup skyr as starter for your next batch!!!!!

I usually get two quarts of whey, and refill two cottage cheese containers with skyr. Each holds 5 servings, so that’s ten servings of skyr.

I’ve read that some people will drop a vanilla bean or add a few drops of vanilla to the milk while it’s cooling. I keep meaning to try this but keep forgetting.
  • springlering62
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Eurocuisine strainer:

j3eiyz68pdo8.jpeg
    vrix9mu3br4o.jpeg
    you put the “curds in the mesh basket, insert that into the bucket, and the whey drains into the bucket.

I tried the other brand of strainer, which was larger and more convenient, but it was a *kitten* to clean. I spent most my time covered in spray water cursing at the thing.

The nylon version of the Eurocuisine cleans very easily, minimal drama. It has been WELL worth it to have two half-gallon Eurocuisine that wash up so easily versus the gallon sized one from the other brand that was such a nightmare to clean.

And I much prefer the nylon basket to the metal mesh that the other one had.

If you do go the two-strainer route, they nest comfortably and only take up as much cabinet space as one. 👍🏻
  • MelodiousMermaid
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Winner, winner, ice cream (or in this case sorbet) dinner!

I calorie zig-zag, where some days are low, and others are high. One of the biggest drivers to me getting this gadget was the possibility of a frozen dessert for low cal days. I have succeeded!

Not sure of a good name for it... We'll call it...

Lemon Raspberry Vanilla Sorbet
    (Makes 1 pint)

320 g water
    54 g fresh squeezed lemon juice
    100 g Swerve (sugar alternative)
    14 g vanilla sugar-free pudding powder
    7 g (half ounce/1 Tbsp) Jordan's Skinny Syrups (this time I used the Meyer Lemon and Raspberry flavor)

I put 200 g of warm water in a mixing bowl, then added the Swerve, mixing well with a whisk. Then I whisked in the lemon juice, then the pudding, and finally the Skinny Syrup. Then I added the rest of the water.

For processing in the Creami, I put the contents into the pint container, froze it for 24 hours, then processed using the sorbet program and a remix for texture.

According to my calculations, this comes out to 61 kcal per batch (pint)! Perfect for enjoyment without breaking the daily calorie budget. Warning though -- this melted at a pretty fast rate.

ETA: Just for clarity, this was not my dinner, nor would it be a good consideration as a meal replacement. It was a spectacular dessert though!

g8wa9t81jdx1.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Lichee sorbet. Good in a float with diet 7-up or tonic water in the summer.

Drain the liquid of 1 tin of lichee (available at asian supermarkets) into a small saucepan and boil with 4 tablespoons of sugar, some crushed lemon grass and some torn kaffir lime leaves until half the volume. In the meantime blitz the fruit in a food processor. Add the drained syrup and blitz again. Add a little rosewater, and a sympathetic liqueur or alcohol (i use lychee liqueur or vodka but any floral or citrussy liqueur would work). The sugar and alcohol prevent the mixture from freezing too solid. Freeze in a shallow container over night. The next day blitz the sorbet with an egg white and freeze again. The egg white loosens the texture.