when do you choose to eat?

Options
hailz840
hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
When do you eat your meals/snacks? Do you eat based on time or do you eat when you are hungry?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    During the workweek I have a splash of milk in my coffee first thing and this does me until about 7:30pm then all bets are off and I eat right up until bedtime.

I function well like this, I feel sharper and don't get that hungry. I get around 5km walking in post work too, rain or shine.

Weekends I'm more balanced, probably because I am that much closer to my fridge. ;)
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If possible I eat when I'm hungry, but I do generally have a bite to eat if it's been a while like 6 hours or something like that since I've last eaten.
  • kerrygailis
    kerrygailis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I generally eat when my body tells me I am hungry, I will drink water first and see if it is not just thirst, but then I will wait 5 or 10 mins and if I am still hungry I will eat. Some days I eat 3 meals plus 2 or 3 snacks but other days I eat every 2 hrs, I don't let it worry me. I focus on how good my body feels from healthy eating and exercise. :happy:
  • hailz840
    Options
    Wow! I'm usually starving for breakfast when I get up. I find that staying home with the kids we plan our meals based on time of day. ie morning tea around 10, lunch around 12pm afternoon tea 3ish and dinner 5pm ish - then snacking most evenings. was thinking about trying the eat when im hungry option and see if that works better. curious to see how others manage their food intake
  • kerrygailis
    kerrygailis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am definitely hungry when i get up but i have a cup of de-caf then get the kids ready for school and take them, so when I am back and ready for breakfast it has been about 1.5hrs since I had my warm drink so hungry then.
  • hailz840
    Options
    i would be amazed if i could last 6 hours without eating!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.
  • hailz840
    Options
    i think i might try the eat when my body tells me im hungry. i think i'll find this hard though since the kids are always wanting me to share their food!
  • kristy3253
    Options
    I have read that in order to best utilize your metabolism, you should not eat any later in a day than 4 pm. On weekends I can do this, with a late breakfast and lunch/dinner at 3-4 pm. Snacking has to be watched closely, high fiber would be best or yogurt. Hang in there and keep trying. Some say eat 5-6 small meals a day, small portions and lots of water.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast and dinner at the same times usually as for the 2 meals I have in between I eat it when Im hungry. I sit in the office so once its done its done and that is in the back of my head so I spread it out evenly.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have read that in order to best utilize your metabolism, you should not eat any later in a day than 4 pm. On weekends I can do this, with a late breakfast and lunch/dinner at 3-4 pm. Snacking has to be watched closely, high fiber would be best or yogurt. Hang in there and keep trying. Some say eat 5-6 small meals a day, small portions and lots of water.

Gee, 4 pm thats a little rough. I sometimes take my protein shake only at 10pm. I dont know where you read that but it seems a bit out of the ordinary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter. Eat when you want.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat all day.. lol

I tend to eat mostly before 2.. and then nothing until dinner.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    huh?
    duh?
    well, yeah, usually when you HUNGRY, YOU EAT,
    SIGH........................................................
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, but I have one of those boring three-a-day hunger cycles, so I'm eating on a pretty traditional schedule. If I'm not hungry at mealtime (rare) I'll skip or reduce what I'd planned to eat and just have the rest when I am hungry.

I work 3AM-5PM though, so my "breakfast" comes midshift (about 7:30AM), lunch comes around 12 or 12:30, and dinner is at 6PM or so. I'm never hungry for the first few hours of my day and sometimes I'm too tired for dinner so I just have a snack or skip it in favor of a larger breakfast the next day.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just eat whenever I'm hungry. Fortunately, I've been able to eat whenever I like at work, so that's been a great help.
    I find it a waste of calories to eat when I'm not hungry, and I don't enjoy the food.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat when I'm hungry and don't worry too much about timing. HOWEVER, I do try not to snack after dinner (which is eaten any time between 530 and 900, depending on the day). Not because I think it will help me lose more weight (assuming overall calorie intakes are the same), but just because that tends to be a trigger time for me - if I have maybe 120 calories left, far too often that turns into eating 200-300 calories or more, so if I just tell myself "no eating at all" it really helps to eliminate overages. Also, I find I sleep better when I don't eat too late. That's 100% a personal experience thing, I'm sure that's not everyone, but I just find that even going to bed at the same time as usual it's far easier to get up in the morning when I haven't eaten too late.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I tend to get up about 6:30am every day (even weekends:sad: ) so I will generally have a cup of coffee with creamer. If I'm starving when I wake I'll go with greek yogurt and berries. Otherwise I'll wait until about 8am and have a hard-boiled egg and cheese. Lunch is usually between 11 and 12 and on the large side. Dinner is typically around 7pm. I might have a snack in the afternoon like some almonds or beef jerky.

Weekends are usually the same but no snacking and a larger breakfast...
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I eat when I know I am truly hungry.
  • hailz840
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. Interested to hear responses from any stay at home parents. I am trying the eat when Im hungry thing today rather than our usual meal times. Had a later breakfast this morn 8.30ish with kids, kids said they were hungry about 10.30 so got them a snack. My son was a little upset I wouldnt share his food thou. Hungry again about 11.30 so had my snack then - banana oat smoothie and wholegrain toast with peanut butter. Kids were keen to eat with me then but I dont want them eating at all my meal times plus when they are hungry otherwise they'll be eating all day!