How do I combat tiredness?

Options
hazellac
hazellac Posts: 90 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Since starting to try and lose weight I feel much more tired than usual.
One reason is probably because I've cut out drinking cola - I pretty much drank a litre a day if not more! It was my only caffeine intake. I don't really want to take a caffeine substitute to counter-act this but was just wondering if there are certain foods I can eat that will help? Also do you think that in time my body and mind will adapt to all the exercise and I'll actually feel like I have more energy and not less? I'm pretty new to all this so any advice would be great, off shopping shortly so any tips on foods I can pick up that might help would be great. Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• iceflow
    iceflow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "Also do you think that in time my body and mind will adapt to all the exercise and I'll actually feel like I have more energy and not less?"

For sure. It does take time for your body to adjust!

If I may ask how much exercise are you doing? I was in the same boat when I started, I ate to what a random website me in calories daily and felt pretty grotty. Then we purchased a treadmill. I got in half an hour everyday and I remember just feeling great. I was full on energy everyday and it becomes addictive. The more I did the more I wanted. It really helps speed up your weight-loss.

Then I joined my fitness pal after a 30lbs loss so you're already a step ahead!!

I would also go easy on the fruit.

I find a veggie omelette does way more for you energy-wise (and calorie wise!!!) than for example a fruit salad.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    For me, I had 0 energy. Now this may sound funny but I started eating clean, no msg in any form, no artificial sweeteners and within a week not only did I had energy, but my back stopped hurting, my disposition was better and I stopped getting headaches. I also take a magnesium supplement and that for sure gives me extra energy. I drink green tea for my caffeine days and lots of water. I believe all of this has contributed to my energy level, allowing me to workout with out feeling tired just thinking about it. lol I still have a lazy week during TOM but even that is better too. :)
  • hazellac
    Options
    "Also do you think that in time my body and mind will adapt to all the exercise and I'll actually feel like I have more energy and not less?"

If I may ask how much exercise are you doing?

I only started 9 days ago - this is including today (though I plan on doing Shred again later)

1. SHRED (Day one LVL1)
    2. SHRED (Day two LVL1)
    3. (Skipped, too much muscle pain)
    4. SHRED - Weight 8stone 3lb (Day three LVL1)
    5. 45min Run/Walk
    6. (Rest Day/Knee Pain)
    7. SHRED - RIPPED (Day four LVL1) - (Day one LVL1) - Weight 8stone 1lb
    8. 2 Mile Run/walk
    9. 20 Min Run
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I only started 9 days ago - this is including today (though I plan on doing Shred again later)

1. SHRED (Day one LVL1)
    2. SHRED (Day two LVL1)
    5. 45min Run/Walk
    6. (Rest Day/Knee Pain)
    8. 2 Mile Run/walk
    9. 20 Min Run

So with all of this, how much are you eating?
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating more, and maybe more often. Organic green teas are great too, and they have tons of flavors.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating back your exercise calories. The way MFP works is that it's already built in your deficit for you. Eat your goal, then eat your exercise. You'll be less lethargic, you'll be happy, healthier, and you'll lose weight.
  • CycleFlow
    Options
    I would for sure keep the rest days that you listed - your body needs time to repair and re-energize. Dont take them just because your body hurts. Take them even if you feel good. Rest is equally as important as the work. ( a rest day can still be active, walking, going for a bike ride, playing a friendly sport)
    Shred is pretty high intensity so make sure you are gettnig in enough protien and carbs to refuel.

Also - I would suggest green tea if you are looking for a little caffiene... more natural and green tea has its own health benefits, antioxidents etc. It takes a little getting used tothe flavor ( I steep it for a very short period of time because if i make it too dark I feel it tastes like grass....but you can also get some lovely mint or friut green teas also.)
  • hazellac
    Options

1. SHRED (Day one LVL1)
    2. SHRED (Day two LVL1)
    5. 45min Run/Walk
    6. (Rest Day/Knee Pain)
    8. 2 Mile Run/walk
    9. 20 Min Run

Eating my 1390 cals allocated and upping them a bit if I've exercised. Sometimes a little over, sometimes a little under - still adapting my food intake :smile:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Since starting to try and lose weight I feel much more tired than usual.
    One reason is probably because I've cut out drinking cola - I pretty much drank a litre a day if not more! It was my only caffeine intake. I don't really want to take a caffeine substitute to counter-act this but was just wondering if there are certain foods I can eat that will help? Also do you think that in time my body and mind will adapt to all the exercise and I'll actually feel like I have more energy and not less? I'm pretty new to all this so any advice would be great, off shopping shortly so any tips on foods I can pick up that might help would be great. Thanks in advance :smile:

Your body will adjust. It takes a few days, you are throwing your body in a bit of shock.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree with asking how much are you eating, and what are you eating? Are you doing a low carb diet or anything? That is a lot of cardio, and your body needs carbs to use as fuel during cardio (that is why runners love pasta).

Also, your body being exhausted can also it be telling you it needs a rest day. I would schedule one or two days in your schedule to focus on just resting. It can be active rests (casual walks, short bike rides, etc..), but make sure they are days to allow your body to heal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating (gross and net). With MFP, you're supposed to be eating back exercise calories back (just make some allowance for estimation error). When You set your profile up, you set your activity level without exercise...just your daily hum drum and then MFP gives you a calorie goal. MFP doesn't take into account your fitness goals at all...it assumes you won't be doing them and only gives you actual credit when you do them...thus exercise is extra and you're supposed to eat those calories back. Failure to do so will most definitely result in fatigue because you already have a huge deficit in your calorie goal...and now you're making it even bigger with exercise and not giving your body anything to work with. Shred is a fair bit of work, you need to fuel that.

Also make sure you're getting your protein and healthy fats...these are nice, slow burning sources of energy, unlike carbs which give you that instant energy...but you should be getting those too (unless you're doing low carb/no carb...in which case, you'll also feel very tired).
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

1. SHRED (Day one LVL1)
    2. SHRED (Day two LVL1)
    5. 45min Run/Walk
    6. (Rest Day/Knee Pain)
    8. 2 Mile Run/walk
    9. 20 Min Run

Eating my 1390 cals allocated and upping them a bit if I've exercised. Sometimes a little over, sometimes a little under - still adapting my food intake :smile:
    need to eat more.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    go there. put in your information, be honest, get a better goal.
    or update your settings here to .5/lb or 1/lb per week loss since you're only trying to lose 10 more lbs... and "active"...and eat the exercise calories back.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    you've already had great advice. I totally agree. Be sure you're eating enough and limit as many processed foods as you can. Also be sure you're getting enough rest.

Yes, I find my body 'retaliates' when I make a big change all at once.... it takes time to come along with me, kicking and screaming and saying "Ok, I'll behave better if this is what you're going to do".....

Looks like you're doing amazing with the workouts.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think the eating clean is the key. If you only eat 1200 calories in a day, and that was big Mac, fries and a thick shake you will have your calorie deficit but no nutrients for your body. For 1200 calories I could eat a banana, a yogurt, and an omelette for breakfast, a massive salad, with lean meat of some sort for lunch, maybe a stir fry for dinner with prawns and garlic. Plus a couple of light snacks. Now my body is happy and full of energy. Plus if you exercise you need to eat a bit more. To lose weight succesfully you need to eat enough. Starving does not work. I know, i tried it.
    If you are eating a calorie deficit you have to start making good choices. Say no to empty calories.
    Took me about 4 weeks to get over the initial sluggishness. 2 weeks where just was lazy and ate all the wrong stuff, 2 weeks where i gave it a proper go. Once I got the hang of it I had heaps more energy, felt 10 years younger. Oh yeah, I lost a few kilos too :-)
This discussion has been closed.