Steps calories

Options
channtelllie
channtelllie Posts: 1 Member
How does myfitnesspal track calories? I notice that it tracks calories burned based off my total steps, even if those steps were achieved during a work out. So essentially it's saying I burned double the calories for the day than in reality since the steps are being counted as burned calories that were already accounted for in my work out calories. Help.

Answers

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,324 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi! You don't have anything to worry about re: double tracking calories because of steps. Your steps are not actually a factor in your adjustment, they are listed as a motivational tool. Your adjustment is calculated purely based on the calories expended from your exercises and general activity as reported by your wearable device.

Please see: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-
  • genyphyr_photo
    genyphyr_photo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not true. I think there is a bug. I have negative adjustments turned on and some days, the more steps i take, the bigger the negative adjustment!! I went from -21 to -212 when my steps went over 15000 today, with some walls recorded and some were steps doing housework and gardening, but it deducted all of my steps and made my calories look like i overate, despite eating nothing else after 8pm and walking more! There's definitely a bug in your calculating and it's de motivating for sure.
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,324 MFP Staff
    Options
    Not true. I think there is a bug. I have negative adjustments turned on and some days, the more steps i take, the bigger the negative adjustment!! I went from -21 to -212 when my steps went over 15000 today, with some walls recorded and some were steps doing housework and gardening, but it deducted all of my steps and made my calories look like i overate, despite eating nothing else after 8pm and walking more! There's definitely a bug in your calculating and it's de motivating for sure.

@genyphyr_photo This isn't necessarily a bug, but I would encourage you to reach out to our customer happiness team either way to confirm. It's very possible that if you're logging multiple discreet exercises (separate from your base activity adjustment, which again is not based on Steps) that you're receiving a negative adjustment specifically to prevent double-tracking activity, which is ironically what the original poster was concerned with. Either way, our team will be able to take a look at your activity and confirm with you.

To reach our support team for assistance, please visit https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us or email directly to support@myfitnesspal.com
This discussion has been closed.