I have Fitbit linked to my account. But I get inconsistent credit.

Options
affinset
affinset Posts: 10 Member
Some days, I get 11,000 steps on Fitbit and log my exercise and of course it adjusts (up or down) to the Fitbit value. But the next day, I get 11,000 steps and add my exercise and get a totally different credit for calories burned. One day, it’s 49, the next - 1,100. Same exercise, same steps. Why is this happening??

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,372 Member
    Options
    Your calorie adjustment doesn't reflect your step count, or not directly anyway. It reflects the difference between your chosen activity level on MFP and the number of calories your Fitbit thinks you burned for the entire day (=TDEE).

That TDEE will include steps (but not all steps are created equal) and other activities.
    Some examples:
    - if you do a step based cardio workout, that will give a higher calorie burn than the same number of steps taken for example at work walking to the coffee machine and the bathroom
    - the same step count can 'hide' very different activities and calorie burns. For example, you could have taken 5000 steps in daily activity and 5000 steps during a run, or 1000 steps daily activity with 9000 steps during a run and then 1 hour of indoor rowing (no steps)
    - sometimes fitness watches are 'dumb': they use heart rate to approximate calorie burn. For example: my watch will give me a higher calorie burn for the same number of steps (at the same speed) when my heart rate is higher due to stress or when there's a heat wave. Some watches also autostart cardio activities - you could just be stressed for example (or naturally have a higher heart rate), but your watch could be thinking you're exercising and therefore giving you an inflated calorie burn.

This discussion has been closed.