Scale bingers--

Options
I have seen a lot of posts about weigh ins and scales not moving- and I myself have that same proble. I have also been reading the blog "the daily diary of a winning loser" I read this and had to share:

Friday, August 14, 2009
Day 334 Self-Inflicted Small Scale Frustrations and A Mystery Reader At The Trail
Day 334

Self-Inflicted Small Scale Frustrations and A Mystery Reader At The Trail

The subject of weighing schedules has really come up a bunch lately. Some weigh every week, most do actually. Some (like me) weigh every two weeks. And some weigh everyday. Some even weigh several times a day. There's no right or wrong here in my opinion. But, allow me to say this: If you like to “scale binge,” (a term coined a while back by a blogger friend---I can't remember which one this second---but it was brilliant) and it does anything other than motivate you in a positive way, then stop doing it. Weigh-in time should be a rewarding experience, especially when you know you're doing everything you can do to get the results you deserve. If it's frustrating you, then maybe you're doing it too often. I talked to my mom Thursday evening and she was frustrated. She had weighed three days in a row and had absolutely zero change. She stayed the same all three days despite her perfect calorie balance and exercise schedule. I explained to her how her weight can fluctuate and the possibility of added water weight causing this minor plateau. She was so frustrated, very discouraged. I think I've convinced her to continue doing what she's doing and to stay off the scale for a solid two weeks. I think she'll be thrilled with what she discovers.

Early on this road, the less you do to complicate or frustrate things the better. You really have to look at yourself honestly and decide what kind of weigher you are. If a small number or no loss or even a small gain sends you into depression, then stop it! If it quickly motivates you no matter the result, then by all means, weigh away! The results will come, why are you in such a hurry? The scale isn't going anywhere---it'll be there when your weigh day comes around. I realize now that many times in the past I had complicated things and frustrated myself to the point of failure. It's a self-sabotage issue. Keep the focus on your good choices with food and exercise. Stay zeroed in on your motivating thoughts. Keep that steel curtain zone up and tight, and the weight loss will simply and dramatically happen. All of a sudden you'll love the scale and the number it shows you.

I remember “sneaking a peak” at the scale in Stillwater early on this journey. A week had passed since I'd last stepped on, and I was on fire! Everything was spot on, every minute of every day. So with a week before my official weigh-in I took a look and found that I was exactly the same. It killed me. What? Are you serious?? What am I doing wrong? I wasn't doing anything wrong---I was doing everything right, but for whatever reason—my hard work and consistency just wasn't showing. I was scared and frustrated. This “scale rejection” made the next week a little harder than it needed to be because of my frustration. Then when I had the official weigh in a week later, it showed a 10 pound loss. I was relieved and completely thrilled. Like I said---if you can honestly handle “scale rejection,” then weigh five times a day if you wish. But if you're like me, save yourself the needless frustration by spreading out those weigh days. If not, you just might be sabotaging yourself by complicating the process. If you're doing what you know is right and good, then the results will come to you, you don't need to chase them.

Again- these are not my words, I just think they are helpful, if you want to read the full listing or more of his blog:

http://losingweighteveryday.blogspot.com/2009/08/day-334-self-inflicted-small-scale.html

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    So true - and simple really! Thanks for sharing
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm good about only doing once a week, but lately i've been so happy with my results i couldn't help but weigh every day and then chiding myself for expecting to see results. I think weighing too much scares away the weight loss fairies =). Or in another way, the watched scale never decreases.
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    WOW! I needed this today!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I know I weigh myself too much.... but its so hard not to! I just love the feeling when I've lost a lb or two... but I hate the feeling when I haven't. But this person you quoted has a point- it should be a rewarding experience because of all the hard work I know I am doing. Great post!
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this! i weigh myself daily when i wake up, then a few times through out the day, i dont know why, i just do.

it makes me mad that the scale bounces around so much and that ive been stuck at 175 for a month!

but luckily it doesnt discourage me, i keep workin hard on my weight loss.
  • sieve
    sieve Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd throw one other factor in there involved in weighing too often...without being too scientific about it: the accuracy of the scale.

I'm sure there are numbers out there for specific scales, but I have a strong background in statistics and repeatability, and would find it hard to believe that any "average" scale that we're using would be accurate to with +/- 2 pounds. And they just aren't that good at measuring small changes due to the mechanics and a number of other factors.

Try this to see what I'm talking about - if you know anyone who has dead weights, borrow a couple of 25 lb. weights, say 50 pounds. Put them on your scale, check the weight. Take them off, and then put them back, but this time including a pound of sugar on the scale. Does it go up by exactly 1 pound? Probably not. Put 10 pounds on and you'll likely see the difference, but a couple of pounds here and there is just too little for the scale to measure the difference accurately.

The moral of the story - scales are only so accurate, and taking measurements too often, trying to pick up minor changes, can lead to measurements that aren't reliable....but are very discouraging!

If you must weigh every day, I'd recommend (enter statistics here), weighing 3-5 times by completely stepping off and back on, and then averaging the results.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great article--thanks for sharing!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this could help so many people :D
  • Rmeikel
    Rmeikel Posts: 35
    Options
    I am addicted to my scale as well!! I check every day, but actually record it every two days on here. The long and short of it is that my weight is simply feedback. It's a way to understand what's happening with my body. A hint to myself that I am slipping is that I want to avoid the scale all together.

I also have learned my body's patterns. When I work out, do well, I tend to hold steady for two days, then drop a pound or two, then steady again. I wouldn't know those patterns if I weren't paying attention.