Book recommendations please - sport psychology

Options
KNoceros
KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
edited July 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good introductory book on sports psychology?

I ask this as a sports-participant who is increasingly finding that I am being held back by the mental aspect of some of my sports. The “gremlins” whispering in are ear telling me “you can’t”, “you’ll get injured” or “you’re simply not good enough” are LOUD, and I would really like to find a way to shut them up (or a least turn them down a bit!).

I know the injury concern is related to having had some nasty falls and fractures, (now long since healed) but to progress I need to move past that, and to try to overcome the other negative self-talk.

I am not in a situation to work with an actual psychologist, but if I can understand some of the basic principles at work, maybe I can apply them.

So, book / article suggestions please!

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Have a look for a general CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy); the techniques to help people overcome negative thoughts can really help with sports. You basically learn how to retrain your thought process so that each time you have a “you can’t do this” thought, you turn it into something positive. It’s not a quick win and I personally find I have to keep on practicing (thanks imposter syndrome) but it works for a lot of people. There are tonnes of books out there and if you belong to a library, they should have some too. Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "The Chimp Paradox" - Prof. Steve Peters.
    A fascinating read and Peters has worked with many elite athletes.

It's your "chimp" that is shouting those negative thoughts and there are techniques to calm and box off your chimp.