Running - I am extremely slow - Race coming up

Options
I have a half marathon coming up, but I am extremely slow at running, more like jogging.

I run at about 5mph but I'm worried I'm goign to be the last one coming in in the race!

Has anyone run any slower than that and done a half marathon?

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Im in for this as I am the exact same position as you and due to run a 10k in a month. I hate being this slow (5.2mph) when I cant physically get my legs to move faster!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    My first 3 half marathons were far slower than that.

And finishing last is no big deal. I quite frequently am the last one home. In a 6 mile cross country a few months ago, I was only starting my last lap when everybody else was finishing theirs.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just started running- My local park has weekly 5k runs every Saturday morning. I'm always! in the last 5... but i'm doing it for me- maybe in a year i'll be fitter, better and stronger (and hopefully thinner). I've found runners seem to be really supportive of newbies- more so than when i went to the gym.
    My point? Slow and steady is better than not doing it. You'll get support and it's finishing that counts. Well done for getting to the half marathon stage! Great accomplishment xx
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    I have a half marathon coming up, but I am extremely slow at running, more like jogging.

I run at about 5mph but I'm worried I'm goign to be the last one coming in in the race!

Is there a cutoff time for the half marathon you have in mind? At 5mph you are running 12:00 miles, and that is not bad at all! Even if you ARE last, it's no big deal... I was last in a 5k last year and it didn't deter me one bit. It's not traumatizing or anything. I'll even be doing my first half marathon next month. I say, as long as you can make the cutoff time if there is one, you're not doing it for anyone else so don't worry!

That said, good luck and have fun!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

that's a 12:00 mm that's pretty good for 13 miles. i finished my first half in 2:53 and there were a LOT of people after me. :) you'll be fine.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you are really concerned with getting faster, you need to understand that Speed Strength is literally it's own whole type of strength that needs to be trained specifically. Look into Fartlek training, which is used by both sprinters and marathoners alike to burn fat, maintain muscle, and increase speed without sacrificing aerobic ability or Endurance Strength.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    At least you are running and finishing! Kudos to you!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    5mph isn't bad at all if you can maintain it the whole half. There will be plenty of people behind you.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how fast or slow you run. You are still faster than those guys sitting on the couch. Go get it!
  • thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My longest training session so far has been 11.5miles and that was at around 5mph.

The cut off time is 3.5 hours so I hope I get in before then!!!

I don't really mind being slow I just don't want to be the very last... As this is my first half I am going to work on speed after this, firstly with shorter distances though. At the moment I'm just concentrating on this and getting through it, and not hurting my knees any more.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The most important thing about getting ready for a half is making sure you can do it without hurting yourself. If this is your first I would highly recommend using Hal Higdon's training program. Both my wife and I used it for our first half's and it helped us tremendously.

Dont worry about time, worry about being ready especially in a half. Now if you want to get faster in 5k's thats a different story, then you need speed training and intervals mixed in.....HAPPY RUNNING !!!!!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My longest training session so far has been 11.5miles and that was at around 5mph.

I don't really mind being slow I just don't want to be the very last... As this is my first half I am going to work on speed after this, firstly with shorter distances though. At the moment I'm just concentrating on this and getting through it, and not hurting my knees any more.

Not sure how new you are to this, so if you know about it or are already doing it feel free to ignore. If you are having joint pain then there is likely something wrong with your form. Look into Chi Running or Perfect Running Form and make sure you have been fitted for proper shoes at a reputable running shoe store.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Most halfs have a ton of walkers now to so if you can hold a 12m/m the whole way thru you'll be more towards the middle then last. The important part is to enjoy the experience. You'll only have one first 1/2
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll be last at a 12 min mile. I ran my first half at around an 11 min mile with a field of 7000 and 1500 people still came in after me. And for that race they say there is a 2:30 cutoff! A lot of people came in at the 3 hr mark.

Speed is a long term project. Don't worry about it for this race. Just finishing is a great goal for your first half!
  • Jewles1285
    Jewles1285 Posts: 119
    Options

At a 12 minute mile running at 5 mph for the entire half marathon would take you 2.62 hours, if the max time is 3.5 hours you got it in the bag! Good for you for running! Thats something to be proud of!
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Not sure how long you have been running but 5 mph is not terrible, especially for those of us who aren't natural runners. You won't be last at that speed. Also, if that's what you ran for a 11.5 mile run in training, you will be able to run faster than that for the half even with it being a longer distance.

Even if by some miracle, everyone is super fast that day and runs faster than you, it's ok. I've come in last or second to last more times than I can remember right now. It just depends on the event and who shows up that day. Also, some races even have an official "last place finisher" so in these races, you can never be last!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

A note about speed: half marathon training has made my shorter distances much faster!

My 5k started at 39:20. I started a half training plan and my 5k 4 months later was down to 29:52.

It's a year later, I had a spring half and have been training for fall halfs and my 5k is now down to 27 even and still getting faster. I've done nothing to train for a 5k other than increase my number of sessions per week and increase my miles per week. Granted I started off at a pretty slow base, so it was easier for me to make improvements then some faster individuals, but I'm still proud of shaving 12 mins off my 5k time in a year.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have done 5 Half Marathons now. My fastest was 2:55 and my slowest was 3:40 (in my defense, I had a blood clot in my lungs during that one that even though I told my doctor I was having trouble breathing, he didn't want to bother with "big expensive tests") and I wasn't close to last in any of them. All were supposed to be a max 3:30, so even then there is a little leeway. At a 12 minute pace, you will have no problems finishing this. My next one is in December and I hope to finish in a 12:30 pace so I would definitely be behind you!

Good luck!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I once ran a half where they were litterally picking up the cones behind me... I wanted to pick up one of the cones and beat the race director with it..

But I still finished and my time has much improved since then. The finish line is always the goal, no matter how (fast) you get there :)
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    you're doing great!! In the races that occur in my community, it is usually a mix of runners and walkers, so chances are, there will be plenty of walkers whose pace is slower than your running pace!

don't be discouraged, there is nothing to be ashamed of even if you are the last one to cross that finish line - at least you crossed the finish line!!!