Will Jogging Makes Your Legs Bigger?

Options
I wanted to try and jog as i heard jogging can burn more calories and slim down your legs nicely~

The main problem would be after doing some research online, i have found half of the group debate that running/jogging will build a lot of muscle on your legs (especially calves) thus making them look bulkier. Whereas another group claimed that running/jogging can tone your legs as there's no joggers with thick legs

So, any joggers with this kinda experience here? :smile:

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Tracy Anderson is not a good source of information.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sprinters have big legs, distance runners have skinny legs. Compare Usain Bolt's legs with Mo Farah's.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Tracy Anderson is not a good source of information.

This x a gazillion!!!

But to answer your question it really depends on your genetics, how much you intend to run and really your starting point.

I run but I also lift so I can't really answer from the 'run only' camp but my legs have certainly slimmed down since starting lifting and adding running into the mix hasn't had any negative impact.

From a personal stand point muscly legs look awesome, I would much rather have defined calves than straight up and downs but its a personal preference.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    it is cardio exercise which burns calories which makes you smaller as simple as that :)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    No. I have run about 20-30 miles per week for about 10 years. I have chicken legs.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Made mine smaller. I run about 2 1/2 miles at about a 5 mph pace...shoot for 3x week.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try and jog as i heard jogging can burn more calories and slim down your legs nicely~

The main problem would be after doing some research online, i have found half of the group debate that running/jogging will build a lot of muscle on your legs (especially calves) thus making them look bulkier. Whereas another group claimed that running/jogging can tone your legs as there's no joggers with thick legs

So, any joggers with this kinda experience here? :smile:
    Cardio doesn't build muscle. Period. Anyone who thinks cardio will make your legs bigger is someone who you should never listen to for any kind of fitness advice, because they are completely clueless.
  • nerakma
    nerakma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just a thought (I have no idea), but would running up hills build up a bit more muscle than running on flat?

I do a bit of both (30 miles + this month) and have not noticed any increase in my calf size!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Um.............. Nope............... :glasses:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sprinters have big legs, distance runners have skinny legs. Compare Usain Bolt's legs with Mo Farah's.
    That's because of weight lifting, not really the style of running. While it's true sprinting is anaerobic in nature, Bolt spends a LOT of time in the weight room to make his legs look like that.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Running will make your legs stronger, but don't confuse that with bulking. And eventually, your legs will get as strong as they can from running alone and that usually happens within the first few years of running.

Running up hills can prolong the strength gain and help to develop a strong stride, but it is all in terms of stride and form. As far a making your legs look bigger...that all depends on how your muscles look after the fat is trimmed from them.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    That's because of weight lifting, not really the style of running. While it's true sprinting is anaerobic in nature, Bolt spends a LOT of time in the weight room to make his legs look like that.

All the top tennis chicks and dudes have big legs, too. Explosive acceleration requires those big muscles. Jogging alone doesn't develop that sort of musculature.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Mine keep getting smaller the more i run
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    It didn't for him ...

AeaaZ9a.gif
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a tree trunked marathon runner, but sprinters... They're bigger
  • allories
    allories Posts: 25
    Options
    Thankx guys for the advises XDD
    maybe i should and jog and see how it works.... i am the typical pear, slimmer upper body with round and fat bottom body. Making it all worse is that my thighs and calves are really big, thankx to all the fat stored inside :angry:
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear too. My husband now talks about my "perky Zumba butt" and slimmer "runner's legs". I do whatever exercise I feel like doing, on a given day, including weight lifting (when I lift, I lift heavy). Generally, if it's not free weights or bodyweight workouts, I run, use the elliptical or Zumba. Tried kickboxing once, wasn't for me. Anyway, my muscles have become more defined as I lose the fat, but I certainly haven't grown them...I don't eat enough of a caloric surplus to turn into new body mass.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Mo Farah does weights as part of his training, he actually does power lifting.

To the OP, no jogging will not make your legs bigger.