Anyone Lost Over 30 and kept it off for more than 5 years, who doesn't work in the fitness industry

Options

Replies

• Btt2020
    Btt2020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At three years and plus 30lbs off. Now recommitting to getting another 10ths off. I don’t work in the fitness industry.
  • Sarkoptesmilbe
    Sarkoptesmilbe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 and weighed 120kg at my peak, around 12 years ago. I've been hovering around 85kg since then. Not in any field where weight or appearance is relevant.
  • lisaschamus
    lisaschamus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lost 35 pounds over the course of four years and have kept it off for another 5 or so. I love movement - so that is part of what keeps my weight down.
  • KarmaKamen
    KarmaKamen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing weight (body fat) and I've been working on my health for about 2 years now. I stopped tracking CICO so rigorously for the past few months, but I was able to maintain. That gives me confidence I can keep the weight off long term. I think it's pretty well known how easy it is to regain lost weight, but if that starts to happen you can catch yourself. We are not powerless. Even if you regain it all back, I don't think you really ever start from square one because you have started to learn what works for you and what doesn't. My friend is in that situation right now, but we are not giving up. :)
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I'm down 23 off of a high of 184 back in 2013. It's not 30 as you asked, but I never needed to lose that much since I'm a tick over 6' tall. But I am over 9 years and while I work out daily the last 2, I lost most of my weight while working in an office as a professional in the accounting and tax industry. I lost 18-20 in the first 5 months after starting in July 2013 and have been in maintenance for the most part since then.

In 2020 I joined an indoor rowing group, and to stay in the Lightweight category I have to be < 165 so it's been more focused on my #'s since the rather than just how my clothes fit. But I'm pretty consistent about staying below that # and to be safe I prefer being 161-162 just in case I have a few big eating days (which is rare).

MFP works. The calorie credits is so simple and a great motivator. I love my commitment to my daily workouts (I row 4-5 times a week and run 2-3). Good luck.

Edit-just checked and am at 3330 days consecutive logging in. I never want to give up my streak even though I am semi-retired and closing in on an age I never thought I'd reach.
  • janalford1954
    janalford1954 Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Yes, 82 lbs and it has been off 6 years. I'm retired but generally active (walking). MFP has worked for me with portion control, eating correctly, and tracking my food in the journal for 1012 days as of today. I would have more days but 3 times I forgot to record numerous days on several holidays over the years (oh well).

I have gotten a girlfriend to join me in MFP. She is working on it and trying her best.
  • jacquesd
    jacquesd Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I lost nearly 50 lbs in 2017-2018. I have gained about 15 lbs back and am working on trying to lose about 10 lbs. It hasn't been easy maintaining, but it hasn't been impossible either. As I age (I'm nearing 65), it seems harder to lose 5 pounds than it was and easier to gain. The struggle continues...Been logging here for nearly 10 years now,
  • lsandy4
    lsandy4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I began my journey in 2014 at 230 pounds. I reached my initial goal weight of 150 at Christmas time of 2016. I lost another 5 pounds before Easter. I have maintained 145 +/- two or three pounds since by keeping up with my exercise and using my portion control devices (kitchen scale and measuring cups/spoons) on a regular basis. I have not missed a day of calorie posting since I began this quest. Having a heart attack in 2015 just cemented my resolve to not gain any of this back. As for a career, I have retired from being a Clinical Laboratory Scientist just over two years ago. So I wasn't in a fitness/beauty focused job. Good Luck on your personal journey.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 70 pounds in 2014 after being diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I slowly gained back nearly 30 pounds of it over a couple of years, but I'm still maintaining most of the loss. I get very little exercise due to joint problems. I was very physically active up until about ten years ago, mostly hiking and folk dancing, but don't enjoy them any more due to pain and the advice of my orthopedist.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing these experiences! We're so often told "it's not possible". (I was actually told that by a dietician...)
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my friend and realised that I have been in maintenance for 6 years at least.
    I still log, though not as precise as when loosing. I walk a lot and have built muscle to help (lifting weights)
    I see it as that the weight loss journey helped me to learn how to balance the energy balance. I approach it still as if it is a bank balance in reverse. Never more in than out
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    beabria wrote: »
    Thank you all for sharing these experiences! We're so often told "it's not possible". (I was actually told that by a dietician...)

A dietician should know better, really. Statistically most people do put weight back on, and statistically most people gain weight slowly throughout their lives, so as a broad sweep assumption at a population level it is not unreasonable. But you are not a population, you are an individual, and individuals can beat those odds.

I lost around 30lbs in 2013, and have mostly stayed within +/- 5lbs of my end weight ever since without any particular effort. I know for a fact that this is possible. If you're interested in how, I'd sum it up as: exercise daily, don't snack after dinner.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!