Paleo: Do I Have to Eat All That Meat?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Paleo is all about the meat. I don't know if you can successfully do paleo if you can't afford the meat!

you can always go out and catch your own meat like palaeolithic people did.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    pfuel_choc_prodimg1__03650_zoom.jpg

now I've seen everything :noway:

*imagines a tribe of Homo erectuses chasing containers of protein powder across a grassy plain...*
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Paleo is more a way of eating, than a diet. Like going 'clean' (not trying to get into what that means, just saying).

To the OP, eat veggies, fruits, eggs, meats at meals, but if you want to skip meat a meal it won't kill you. The biggest problem is getting enough protein without meat. I do dairy, which is helpful, but you can also get protein from eggs, as mentioned. Legumes aren't really paleo, but it's your life so feel free to add them back if you like. Ditto Dairy (I eat cheese). A lot of people advise you eliminate these things for a month and then add them back to see how it affects you, but that's totally up to you.

If your concern is primarily finances, rather than a dislike for meat, eggs, ground beef, stuff like canned tuna/salmon, tinned sardines, organ meats, chicken thighs...these things can all be very reasonable. Also, a lot of people think you need less meat if you eat some bone broth/gelatine. So really look at the prices on these things and think about the things you like to eat and enjoy!
    I just prefer to go with a more traditional method where I get to eat a variety of different foods
    Eh, when you are eating meats, fruits, veggies your variety is pretty huge. You can be crazy hard core, but I don't think most people eliminate sugar/bread completely, they just see it as a treat.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I don't understand why people even bother going on a "diet". Do you want to lose weight and be healthy forever? Then go on a "forever lifestyle change" instead (patent pending on that term btw...lol). Find something that is practical and enjoyable enough to where you could realistically do it forever. The problem I have with "diets" is the people lose the weight they want, then turn back to "normal" eating habits and just put the weight back on.

If you think Paleo is the way to go for you, then best of luck. I just prefer to go with a more traditional rmethod where I get to eat a variety of different foods while just tracking my calories and macros.

Just my $.02

:)

^^^^ all of this! there's nothing wrong with "going paleo" if you love it and could stick to it for the rest of your life. If you don't like it or can't stick to it forever, then the above advice applies.
  • CARBLEGEND
    CARBLEGEND Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the way most do paleono is completely incorrect...one f the worst diets ever
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So on Sunday I'm officially starting the Paleo diet for a month

I guess my first question is "which Paleo diet?"

There are many versions of it, not all of which require eating very-low-carb or eating huge amounts of meat.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    So on Sunday I'm officially starting the Paleo diet for a month (I'd start it now but I have a lot of dairy in the fridge to use up, and as a student I can't really afford to waste it). I'm very interested in this "diet" because the natural way of eating greatly interests me. However, the diet consists mainly of lean meats & proteins, veggies, and good fats. But they want meat at *every* meal! I'm not a big meat eater, never have been. I really enjoy it, and I'll eat a steak, a chicken or a burger, but I rarely have meat outside dinner. It's also expensive. How to I get around this? I'm all for eating meat, but every day, every meal? Any ideas?

*Edit for grammar.

That's not the paleo diet, the paleo diet has the majority of intake in carbs

Sarcasm?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Paleo excludes sugar, grain, and dairy.

It does not exclude root veggies and fruits.

Paleo does not equal "high meat" or "low carb".
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The first month or so of Paleo I ate a lot of eggs. I do love meat and could easily eat it at every meal, but it does get expensive when you are buying grass fed meat. Though I have found that I can buy a 1 lb. grass fed flank steak and get 3 meals out of that, 1 lb. of grass fed ground beef, mixed with ground chicken makes a meat sauce that lasts me a week (I eat in in lettuce cups, over spaghetti squash).
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Paleo isn't necessarily meat-heavy. Actually I probably eat about the same amount of meat as before--I more or less just replaced grains with more veggies and fats.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Sarcasm?

There was a link provided. Quoting from the paper:

"Fruits, roots, legumes, nuts, and other non-cereals provided 65-70% of the average forager subsistence base."

The conception of Paleo being low carb and bags o' meat is pure marketing fluff.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So on Sunday I'm officially starting the Paleo diet for a month (I'd start it now but I have a lot of dairy in the fridge to use up, and as a student I can't really afford to waste it). I'm very interested in this "diet" because the natural way of eating greatly interests me. However, the diet consists mainly of lean meats & proteins, veggies, and good fats. But they want meat at *every* meal! I'm not a big meat eater, never have been. I really enjoy it, and I'll eat a steak, a chicken or a burger, but I rarely have meat outside dinner. It's also expensive. How to I get around this? I'm all for eating meat, but every day, every meal? Any ideas?

*Edit for grammar.

nope.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

*Edit for grammar.

nope.

Good thing you read through before replying
  • CoachReddy
    Options

*Edit for grammar.

nope.

It's all good man, we all make mistakes. :flowerforyou:

paleo diets are relatively low carb and the majority of your calories come from fats
  • Acg67
    Options

*Edit for grammar.

nope.

paleo diets are relatively low carb and the majority of your calories come from fats

Try again

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf
  • CoachReddy
    Options

*Edit for grammar.

nope.

Try again

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

hahaha classic redirect to a completely different topic.
  • Acg67
    Options

*Edit for grammar.

nope.

Try again

How is it a different topic, is that not directly pertaining to the paleolithic diet? Also since you're so knowledgeable ont he subject, are you familiar with how Cordain reconstructed the Paleo diet for his book?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    From the paper...

"The typical carbohydrate intake of ancestral humans was similar in magnitude, 45-50% of daily energy, to that in current afluent nations..."
  • CoachReddy
    Options

*Edit for grammar.

nope.

Try again

How is it a different topic, is that not directly pertaining to the paleolithic diet? Also since you're so knowledgeable ont he subject, are you familiar with how Cordain reconstructed the Paleo diet for his book?

the study is pertaining to differing research into the diets of paleolithic man, and it's far from conclusive. However what the OP is referring to is the general "paleo diet" fad as it is described in numerous books/websites/etc etc etc. THAT diet centers around high fat intake and moderate to low carb intake.

Thus, the redirect to draw attention to yourself. Mission accomplished!

As for Cordain: 'The U.S. News ranking assumed a low-carb version of the paleo diet, specifically containing only 23% carbohydrates.[194] Higher carbohydrate versions of the paleo diet, which allow for significant consumption of root vegetables,[195] were not a part of this ranking.[193] Dr. Loren Cordain, a proponent of a low-carbohydrate Paleolithic diet, responded to the U.S. News ranking, stating that their "conclusions are erroneous and misleading" and pointing out that "five studies, four since 2007, have experimentally tested contemporary versions of ancestral human diets and have found them to be superior to Mediterranean diets, diabetic diets and typical western diets in regard to weight loss, cardiovascular disease risk factors and risk factors for type 2 diabetes."[196][197]'

You can argue all you want about whether cavemen ACTUALLY ate this way or not, and there are valid points on both sides. But as I said before, regarding the OP and her question, your original answer was not helpful nor correct in context.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

*Edit for grammar.

The "natural way of eating" involves putting food into your mouth and masticating (just makes sure you swallow). Anything else is personal/cultural preference.