First ever half marathon ! birmingham uk

Options
So yeah my friend messaged me on facebook, I ran a 10k with him in my hometown in december last year, asking if i was gonna do this half marathon in birmingham that he did the previous year. He's naturally a good runner, and I had just boasted about running his pace for 5km... so I see this as a challenge. Although realistically im looking for just sub 2 hour.

It's only about 7 weeks away so i was hesitant as ive never ran over 10k and this is a little over 21k. but thought screw it...
So i immediately signed up and bought my place, found a 10 week training programming of which ill skip the first 3 weeks...
I've been running a lot this summer so it should be all good....

But any tips or advice would be great ....

I'm also looking to lose half a stone by then hopefully, just so i have less weight to carry around... im 6'1'' and 12st 7 lbs.

Also for those with deep pockets im trying to raise a few bucks/quid for cancer research...
http://www.justgiving.com/Luke-Murray/
anything would be much appreciated.

Replies

• ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When is it?? I live in Birmingham :) Will cheer you on! haha
  • lucasizit
    Options
    haha i live a short way away (telford) ... oct 20th :)

ill be the one looking like a drowned rat
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    1. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.
    2. Do not get caught up in the excitement at the beginning of the race. Go sloooooowww at first.
    3. When you think you are slow enough in the first half, slow down a little bit more.
    4. Enjoy the scenery. You will not have very many opportunities to see so much athletic booty in one location.
    5. Make sure you get fitted for the right shoe at a running store.
    6. Have fun.
  • lucasizit
    Options
    love tip 4 !

done 5 :)
    thanks
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    haha i live a short way away (telford) ... oct 20th :)

ill be the one looking like a drowned rat

I'll keep an eye out!!! hahaha
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    2. Do not get caught up in the excitement at the beginning of the race. Go sloooooowww at first.
    3. When you think you are slow enough in the first half, slow down a little bit more.
    4. Enjoy the scenery. You will not have very many opportunities to see so much athletic booty in one location.
    6. Have fun.

Awesome tips! I will use these myself on my firs 1/2 in October. I like the slow down tip as it is so easy to get caught up in the excitement at the beginning and go too fast.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    6. Have fun.

^^ Excellent advice here.

Remember, this is *YOUR* race. Not your buddy's. Not that girl's in the cute short shorts. This is your first race and you'll never have another one like this, so slow down and enjoy it... (this could apply to so many other things, but I digress...)

Other random race day tips:
    1. Do not eat anything the night before you have not tested previously. I nearly ruined myself for one run on some random tomato-pasta concoction I made the night before. Bad idea.
    2. Make sure to get in line for the porta-potties early! There is usually a mad rush (and consequently LOOONNNGGG line) right before GO time!
    3. Go out slow and run the first half slower than your second. Then during your second, leave it all out there on the pavement :)
    4. And don't forget to smile! Those camera guys are usually at a couple of places along the course and you don't want to have sad droopy looking pictures at the end :)

HAVE FUN!

**EDIT: On a side note, please, PLEASE do not expect to run your 5k pace for an entire half marathon. It. Will. Destroy. You. If you do. Slow it down.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My first half is in 6 weeks! I can't wait. I am doing a run/walk to the finish. Running a mile then walking a minute. I just wanna finish my first one, and worry about getting better next year.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Remember, this is *YOUR* race. Not your buddy's. Not that girl's in the cute short shorts. This is your first race and you'll never have another one like this, so slow down and enjoy it... (this could apply to so many other things, but I digress...)

Other random race day tips:
    1. Do not eat anything the night before you have not tested previously. I nearly ruined myself for one run on some random tomato-pasta concoction I made the night before. Bad idea.
    2. Make sure to get in line for the porta-potties early! There is usually a mad rush (and consequently LOOONNNGGG line) right before GO time!
    3. Go out slow and run the first half slower than your second. Then during your second, leave it all out there on the pavement :)
    4. And don't forget to smile! Those camera guys are usually at a couple of places along the course and you don't want to have sad droopy looking pictures at the end :)

HAVE FUN!

**EDIT: On a side note, please, PLEASE do not expect to run your 5k pace for an entire half marathon. It. Will. Destroy. You. If you do. Slow it down.

^^^^^Even better advice.
  • lucasizit
    Options
    this is all good guys thans ...
    if i kept my 5k pace i think my legs would drop off :P
    not sure what to aim for though, maybe ill have an idea of it closer to the time
  • lucasizit
    Options
    btw just saw this old post i did ....

if anyone was wondering i completed the birmingham half in 1:56:08 :)
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Well done, really good time.

I am training for my first half in March and found some usefull tips on this thread.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Great time - I hope you are uber proud!
  • aynit
    aynit Posts: 43
    Options
    Well done mate and congrats!

That was exactly the same time as me when I did my first half - Leicester 2009!

Well done, good to beat the 2 hour mark!
  • Jamie23Durkin
    Options
    My partner lives in Birmingham. I'm thinking of taking part in this next year
  • lucasizit
    Options
    yeah beating the 2 hour mark was my aim so i was happy. thinking about doing it next year too ! birmingham again. its a nice route.