New to MyFitnessPal

Options
I am a retired law enforcement officer after 34 years of service. I was always active, but since retiring 2 years ago I have gained over 50 pounds and my health is starting to decline. I finally admitted I need help and encouragement to get this done.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP @johnlauramoore1

It’s wonderful you recognized the problem and decided to get a jump on it.

You’re used to being active, out in the community, and serving others.

When my shy and antisocial husband retired from his corporate job, I gave him six months to relax with the TV. On Day 1 of month seven, I turned off the TV, and told him to get off his *kitten* and find something to do. Anything to keep his butt crack from melding with the seat cushion.

Boy, was he not a happy camper.

He surprised me and responded by volunteering all over town- with a museum, historical reenactment groups, park preservation, joined a service organization. One of his chores is to put out and retrieve a hundred flagpoles around our city six times a year. He loves doing it, and I discovered yesterday he now packs a special toolkit in the car in case he passes a flag that needs repair. 😮

He serves on several boards and does social
    media for a handful of groups.

He’s having the time of his life, has come out of his shell, and if I didn’t do aquafit with him, I’d only see him at dinner and evening.

Is there a hobby you’re be interested in? Do you have a dog? I bet he’d love some extra walks and quality time with you. Are there any community groups you feel are particularly worthy and could benefit from your experience?

I myself took up running and weight training at 57. I never thought I’d grow to enjoy both.

My husbands health - physical and mental- has improved drastically with engagement as well as working out and weight loss.

You alone have the power to decide to get off the sofa.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Calling @JBanx256 and @quiksylver296 because they’re both LEOs I admire and may have some suggestions?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Calling @JBanx256 and @quiksylver296 because they’re both LEOs I admire and may have some suggestions?

Hey @johnlauramoore1 congrats on your retirement! I've been LE for a little over 7 years, currently a CPL on patrol. Besides the obvious immediate job-stuff, how were you active prior to retirement? I mean what did you do to stay in shape, etc...? Did you just kinda flip the "relax" button when you retired and never flipped it back, or....?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I am a retired law enforcement officer after 34 years of service. I was always active, but since retiring 2 years ago I have gained over 50 pounds and my health is starting to decline. I finally admitted I need help and encouragement to get this done.

Hi, @johnlauramoore1! Congratulations on retiring from one of the hardest professions to go the distance in!!!

24 years of law enforcement here. I'm now working for a company that contracts with our local SO for public safety (GPS and alcohol monitoring). Being retired is hard. (I made it seven months LOL). You have GOT to create a daily schedule. Only eat during eating times, schedule in exercise (even if it's just a walk). I suspect it's the lack of structure that's getting you. At least that was my issue.
  • johnlauramoore1
    johnlauramoore1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and welcoming. Sorry for the late replies, I am new to MFP and just found this page. Where do I start? While I was working in LE, I was always active. I was a member of SWAT Team, Honor Guard, Motor Unit and an Instructor in multiple disciplines (including health/wellness/fitness....sad to say). Towards the end of my career, I was promoted to LT and transferred Departments (I worked in State LE.). The promotion made me the Academy Director of my agency's Training Academy. I loved it and then retirement hit...... I have no excuses, I simply got lazy and when retirement hit and I became a potato. When the structure and everyday activity in the career I had given my life too was done, it started what I can only describe as a depression spin cycle. I missed the job so much, nothing else mattered and all I did was sit around and think about what "was". I was prepared for retirement financially and age wise, but not psychologically. I was not ready mentally to let the job go. Since recognizing this, I am in a better place and now have decided to fight my way back into life.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    All my LE buddies who have retired have the same issue. It's tough being part of such a close knit job and then losing all that.