Gym Headphones Advice

Options
nossmf
nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
I’ve used the same set of headphones since I started lifting weights 13 years ago. They’re over-ear with a cord which extends to my iPod in my pocket, and have finally started to show their age, with one side no longer making noise. (I know it’s not an iPod issue, because the headphones behave the same whether I plug into my laptop or an elliptical machine at the gym.)

So, now I need to start looking for a replacement. I prefer to stick with over-ear models, as the ones which slide into the ear canal always fall out on me, and the ones which clip onto the ears are sometimes painful (though not always). My main fitness activities are weightlifting and using the elliptical, so relatively low impact in terms of head bobbing around. I’m not against Bluetooth, though not sure my 13-year-old iPod is Bluetooth compatible. (Is there a Bluetooth transmitter I can plug into the headphone slot, which then wirelessly transmits to cordless headphones?)

My teenage son recommended one brand, noise-cancelling etc, which retailed for over $200! Yikes! Any suggestions on something cheaper?

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I don’t have any recommendations as I have stupidly small ears and I’m still searching but I just wanted to say good luck! I’ve bought several different pairs over the last couple of years but none have fitted / been comfortable. So I hope you have better luck!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My 23 year old daughter wanted these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DSSL961/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1. They're around-the-ear ear bud type, Bluetooth. She doesn't like regular in-the-ear kind as they fall out for her too. If you have a smart phone, it certainly has Bluetooth, and you could use it instead of your ipod. Best of luck!
  • MatthewQuinn209
    MatthewQuinn209 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I understand the headphone falling out of the ear issue. But when I bought my Apple AirPods they fit in my ears fantastic, never fall out on there own.

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I currently wear two types, in ear ones (new) and over the ear noise cancelling.

I got mine with points through my health insurance, so I didn't pay "money" for them. They retail for $150

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/all-headphones/p/whch710n-b

I love them, considering how long you used your last pair, $200 isn't bad. I've been using the Sonys for like 3 years and they work fantastically still. My husband also has a pair and there is a small crack in some internal plastic which does not affect performance - it is how we tell them apart!
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Powerbeats pro is my choice for sweaty a s s outdoor and indoor jogs, elliptical, and rowing WOs.. I wear glasses and a head band when I use them. No problem for me with wearing these over the ears.

They handle my juiciness well… you can see the imprint of my head band…

odydmtsrrk7x.jpeg
  • nurees
    nurees Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using Trex bone conducting ear phones as I can’t have in ear devices. Was skeptical at first but they work well. They wrap around and sit on the cartilage and the sound passes through it. Bluetooth. Love them for my walks as I can still hear my surroundings.