Getting enough calories

Hi, I am nearly at a weight that I want to maintain, however I know I'm going to struggle to stay there as I'm finding it increasingly harder to eat back my exercise calories never mind have an extra 300-400 calories on top of that for mAintenance. I'm currently on 1200 and eat this plus my exercise calories but to maintain I need to eat a minimum of 1500! I work a very busy job and hardly have a minute to myself all day. How can increase the calories I'm getting with healthy food to stay lean on a higher calorie diet/lifestyle?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    People who have difficulty meeting their calorie goals have generally gone out of their way to cut out way too much fat. Eat fat...fat doesn't make you fat and is an essential macro nutrient. Saute your veggies in some olive oil/coconut oil/avocado oil...a Tbsp is like 120 calories. Eat a couple handfuls of nuts...a mere 2 oz of nuts will give you an easy 300 calories and they're loaded with nutrients. Eat avocados, nut butters, etc. All of the above (and there are many more) are nutrient dense and calorie dense. Also, if you're doing low fat/no fat everything, knock it off....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    What do you mean by "healthy" foods?

First answer is always the usual suspects... fatty fish, red meat, full fat dairy, nuts/peanut butter, etc.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    I mentioned this concern to my doctor (coming up short on calories) and she recommended a handful of nuts (almonds or walnuts) as a snack. They are good for you, but high in calories and fat so be careful how much you eat. After doing a little bit of research her recommendation did seem spot on as to what many other doctors recommend so when I am coming up short on my daily intake I grab a handful of walnuts and munch on them.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Take raw almonds with you to work. Healthy omega 3 oils and lots of calories. Put them in little zippy bags. Easy access at work.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    nuts are my friend! I buy the Costco Premium nuts - no salt added and put 1/4 cup in a zippy bag and throw them in my briefcase. I experimented with some protein bars as a snack, but like the nuts better.

I also added avocado to my lunches.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Try some new foods as well, you don't want to get bored. I'm getting close to maintenance myself and this past week I started experimenting in the kitchen. I add some nuts to stir fry dishes, use flavored olive oils and log everything even your spices they do have calories. Good luck with your maintenance plan!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    People who have difficulty meeting their calorie goals have generally gone out of their way to cut out way too much fat. Eat fat...fat doesn't make you fat and is an essential macro nutrient. Saute your veggies in some olive oil/coconut oil/avocado oil...a Tbsp is like 120 calories. Eat a couple handfuls of nuts...a mere 2 oz of nuts will give you an easy 300 calories and they're loaded with nutrients. Eat avocados, nut butters, etc. All of the above (and there are many more) are nutrient dense and calorie dense. Also, if you're doing low fat/no fat everything, knock it off....

I haven't cut out fat at all - I eat whatever I want as long as it fits within my 1200 net. I don't want however to get my extra 300 cals from junk like crisps and chocolate etc that's all I meant. I cook with olive oil but can't stand avocado or nut butters (unless its Reece's cups)

I think nuts may be the way forward to eating more cals - gues sill have to be well prepared and make time to ensure I have snacks on me at work to grab when I can. What else can I take for snacks other than nuts?
  • schnarfo
    What do you mean by "healthy" foods?

First answer is always the usual suspects... fatty fish, red meat, full fat dairy, nuts/peanut butter, etc.

I do eat red meat, fish and full fat diary already! :) by healthy I just meant nutrient dense rather than empty calories - prefer high protein calories instead
  • jacksonpt
    So, you already eat those things and still can't hit 1200 - 1500 cals? 1 steak by itself is half of that.
  • schnarfo
    Yes?

1200 net - I can eat more when I exercise! I generally burn and eat back 300 - 500 calories depending on what I've done in the gym! So yes steak is very doable on a 1200 net diet!
  • jacksonpt
    So what exactly is the problem? It sounds like you know how to eat, but for whatever reason you aren't. Is it an issue of time? Do you not cook?
  • schnarfo
    So, you already eat those things and still can't hit 1200 - 1500 cals? 1 steak by itself is half of that.

I'm struggling to hit maintenance which means 1200 + my exercise calories + an additional 300/400 for maintenance .... It's for me how I spread out the calories and that's what I'm struggling with! I know I need to add in some quality snacks or up my portions at lunch time but its what else I can eat that's the problem, fitting it in, being organised and not getting bored!
  • jacksonpt

I'm struggling to hit maintenance which means 1200 + my exercise calories + an additional 300/400 for maintenance .... It's for me how I spread out the calories and that's what I'm struggling with! I know I need to add in some quality snacks or up my portions at lunch time but its what else I can eat that's the problem, fitting it in, being organised and not getting bored!

Gotcha. Smoothies/shakes are a great option. Lots of ways to make them, so they can fit a variety of macro needs, won't get boring, etc. They can easily be 500 calories +.
  • Gismos
    Gismos Posts: 15

You might try drinking more whole milk. A large glass at night can make up a lot of missing calories.
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Hi there, I wish I had that issue damn LOL. Anyway, cheese it's a good option too and treat yourself as well, a lot of people think chocolate is bad but it is actually pretty damn good for your buddy. A glass of wine doesn' hurt either at night, but just 1 hehhehehehe
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    deleted post.

Misread concern about ability to reach maintenance, if it really is that high.
  • Butinox
    Butinox Posts: 43 Member
    I had the same problem for a short while. I reached goal weight, and had problems with reaching 1600 kcal with healthy food. My stomach had shrinked, and I felt full after eating 1200 kcal/day.

I didn`t want to eat chokolate etc to reach my calorie goal, so almonds and other nuts became my solution. Kept them in a box in my purse, in the car, and on the office. :) And increased food portions week by week. After a couple of months it wasn`t a problem anymore.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    A couple of pieces of toast with butter can be 250 calories. Or 3 weetabix with whole milk slightly more?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Nothing wrong with some ice cream either. Some of the people on here with the best bodies eat it every day.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Beer.

What good is all that exercise if you cannot reap the rewards...? :drinker: