If I'm following a 40/40/20 diet, should I be calculating carbs or net carbs?

Options
ekalcur
ekalcur Posts: 20 Member
If I'm following a 40/40/20 diet, should I be calculating carbs or net carbs?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,891 Member
    Options
    Whichever you prefer, and whichever best suits your individual needs?

I'd suggest net carbs, not because I'm a low carb fan, but because fiber from food tends to be a good thing to get enough of, generically speaking, for people without contraindicating health conditions.

(I'm low carb agnostic, for other people: If it helps you, I'm cheering you on. For me, it's counterproductive, so I eat my carbs, and haven't had any huge roadblocks to my weight-management or health goals as a result . . . but that's me, not you.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Well, unless you are on the Premium version of Myfitnesspal, it's not that easy to track Net Carbs.

I've never worried about it. I make sure to hit a minimum fiber goal, so it's kind of a moot point for me.

If you're using 40/40/20, what is the 20? On Myfitnesspal, the default columns on the FOOD diary are Carbs/Fat/Protein. So if you are using the percentages in some other order, that would make a difference. Are you trying to do Keto, or is the 20% your Protein, or are you doing the 20% as fat?

I guess the only time net carbs would matter is if you're trying to do keto. That's usually when people worry about net carbs.