Net carbs on app

Options
Engela16
Engela16 Posts: 3 Member
I'm unable to toggle on Net carbs? I'm on the app. Is this function not available in the UK?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's neiher available or relevant to us here in the UK as our food labelling regulations are net carbs, like the majority of the world.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,412 Member
    Options
    It's also only a feature in premium MFP (i.e. paid version), not in free MFP. Users of free MFP won't be able to turn it on.

Since the MFP food database is crowd-sourced (entered by regular MFP users), some entries list net carbs in the carbs column, and some list total carbs, depending on labeling laws in the place the user lives . . . and that's assuming the person accurately enters what's on the label.

If you check database entries when you first use them, and keep them reasonably consistent in the meaning of the carb field, figuring net carbs isn't that complicated. If your foods are UK-ified, then the carb total is net carbs. If your foods are USA-ified, subtracting fiber grams from total carbs gets you to roughly the same result, with or without the MFP net-carbs feature, as I understand it.

Once you check out a food and pick the entries that work for your needs, the foods you eat reasonably frequently will stay in your recent/frequent foods, and come up first on searches.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's neiher available or relevant to us here in the UK as our food labelling regulations are net carbs, like the majority of the world.

This. I'm in Australia and, like the UK, if I subtracted the fibre on the label of an Australian food from the carbs on that label, I'd have double dipped because the carbs listed on the label are already net of fibre.

It makes it very hard to accurately count net carbs on MFP at all, because labelled products will already be net carbs, but if I use the database generic entry for something that doesn't have a label, it might already be net carbs, it might not.