Homemade Ice Cream under 100 cals? You Bet!

Options
LoriT129
LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
Some of you may have heard of this recipe before and some of you may have made it with your kids. (Kids LOVE this!) It was nice for me to be reminded about it because I found that it is only 90 cals! Yes! 90 cals!!

1/2 cup of 1% milk (you can use fat free. My daughter, who is lactose intolerant, used Almond Milk)
1 tbsp sugar (I'm sure you could use Splenda or agave or whatever)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Put all ingredients in a quart size ziplock bag and seal.

In a gallon sized bag add enough ice to fill the gallon bag half way full and 6 Tblsp. of salt. Put quart size bag inside gallon size bag and seal shut. Make sure you have a tight seal so it doesn't leak. Then all you do is shake it!!! Shake for at least 4 minutes or until the ice cream is frozen.

This serves one person. 90 calories per serving! :)

Here is the fun part ~ add whatever you want to it. I added 1/4 cup of blueberries to mine and it was 110 cals. Think Butter Pecan and maybe use 1/8 tsp. vanilla and 1/8 tsp. of butter extract and add 1/4 cup of chopped pecans. You can mix it up any way you want!

Oh...and while your shaking the bag, dance around the kitchen and REALLY shake what ya mama gave ya!!! You may just burn off some of those calories while you wait for the ice cream to freeze!!

Enjoy!

I edited this to change it from 1 cup milk to 1/2 cup of milk. My bad! Oooppss!

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    What fun!!! Totally going to do this this week!
  • krockwell
    krockwell Posts: 34
    Options
    oooo that sounds perfect!! I've been craving ice cream recently...this sounds fabulous.
    Do you think you could do it with Skim milk?
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • futureredheadhottie
    Options
    I think I am gonna make this next weekend when I watch my cousin. Thanks for sharing.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I was planning on doing this with my little boy tomorrow... now that I know it is so low calorie I think I'll have to make one for myself as well!

The recipe I've seen calls for rock salt... can you just use table salt as well?
  • LoriT129
    Options
    OOPPSSS - Use ONLY 1/2 cup milk NOT 1 cup. (That's what happens when you are typing and have teenagers asking a bazillion questions at the same time!)

Yes, you can use skim milk. I have used it before and it comes out fine. I am out of skim milk and had to use hubby's 1% tonight. Even less calories with the skim!
  • LoriT129
    Options
    Table salt works just fine. That is what we used tonight. Be sure to shake it vigorously!
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Can't wait to try it!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    This sounds really yummy
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    my wife is always wanting ice cream, but she can never find a flavor she likes (doesn't care for chocolate). This may come in real handy.
  • rosemary10
    rosemary10 Posts: 253
    Options
    bump!
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    A definite BUMP!! Yum!!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Oh my... sounds really good. I want to do it now.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'll just add my thoughts:

Just made this stuff. Pretty darn good. I added 1 tablespoon of whipping cream (the liquid kind) to the milk/vanilla/sugar. It gave it a really creamy texture.
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • adunkin22
    adunkin22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bumppp!
  • clover7
    clover7 Posts: 15
    Options
    so the serving size is 1? 90 cals? i guess its all just from the milk.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    so the serving size is 1? 90 cals? i guess its all just from the milk.

1/2 cup 1% milk = 45 calories
    1 TBSP sugar = 49 calories
    1/4 tsp vanilla = 3 calories

For a total of 97 calories.