Premium Version? Worth it?

Options
Qbaimee
Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
I am not sure where to put this but do you have the premium version? If so, what are the pros and cons?
I am thinking about upgrading. I want to be able to see my macro breakdown per meal.

Not sure if spending the money on premium is worth all of that.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can see your macro breakdown by meal with the free version. Just look at what premium offers beyond the free version and determine if any of those things make it worth paying for. I've been on here for 10 years and there isn't anything premium offers that would benefit me in the least so I've always been on the free version.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "I want to be able to see my macro breakdown per meal."
    But you can log all the foods in your meal and see the macro totals of that meal with the free version. It won't give you a percentage but not seeing why that matters as managing macros by percentages isn't a great idea anyway.

Had a free trial of Premium and didn't find any of the additional features of any great interest and personally I wouldn't pay for such a buggy, unreliable and underdeveloped app with a non-maintained food database.
    The free version is worth every penny spent on it though. ;)
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can see your macro breakdown by meal with the free version. Just look at what premium offers beyond the free version and determine if any of those things make it worth paying for. I've been on here for 10 years and there isn't anything premium offers that would benefit me in the least so I've always been on the free version.

Ok I cant figure out how to see my macros by meal? I can see where it shows me the percentage of calories per meal, but not protein, carbs and fat. Am I missing something?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Well, in January, my premium account ended. The only thing I noticed were a few extra ads. They need to offer more if they want my $80.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What platform are you using?

Here's what a (pretend) meal looks like in the browser version....

t0vo4tcfs51p.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    In the app, you can see macro totals by meal if you go into your diary, and hold the phone in landscape mode. (With some phones, you'll need to enable auto-rotate in order for the screen to re-orient to landscape when you hold it that way.)

I have premium, so I'm not sure whether you can see totals by percent for each meal or totals by gram, or both . . . but when I had free MFP a while back, there were definitely per meal totals. There isn't much screen real estate in landscape mode, so you need to scroll, but this is an example of how the totals look on my phone, showing my breakfast totals line:

99ozzs3sjjbi.png
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have premium, but only because I like to be able to enter specific macro goals, enter foods via macro, and set different targets for different days. If you just want to see you nutritional/macro information, you can do all that on the free platform.
  • mfp_sucks
    mfp_sucks Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for it today. I like having a clean look with no ads, and the ability to see only the 3 main nutrients that are important to me on the diary screen. Price seems a bit high as compared to other Apps out there. But so far it seems worth it looking at all the features that go along with it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No. Everything here is way too glitchy to even consider paying for it. Clean up the database and keep a consistent semi bug free experience then maybe. Can't even get notifications correct here. ๐Ÿ˜’ ๐Ÿ™„
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    I got premium for two very specific reasons:

1. I wanted to see the grams of each macro, not just a percentage (percentage really means nothing to me and how I choose to eat/plan my meals).

2. I wanted the option of being able to turn off exercise, and to see a weekly total since I like to occasionally "bank" calories if I know I have something special coming up, and like a realistic idea of where I'm at for the week without having to sit there and add it up myself (yes, basically laziness).

No regrets signing up for it - at $80 for a year, that's less than $7/month, and it's worth that for me to have the daily convenience.

The free version does most things and you can certainly run with it, but the ads can be annoying and this had a couple little features I wanted.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Addendum to my comment above: I decided to pay the fee. Mostly because I like the service and want to support it. E.g., it's charity. ๐Ÿ˜œ
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use the paid version. I honestly can't recall what extra I get from the free version, but for now it works for me.

Things I like

I do intermittent fasting and I like being able to log the time I start/end eating per day.
    I like being able to see both net carbs and all carbs.
    I like NOT seeing ads.
    I like being able track my daily macros by percentages, as I need to monitor if I am getting enough protein each day or if I am over doing it on carbs. I am pre-diabetic so I don't want to just wing it.

There are quite a few bells & whistles with the premium I don't use, but I could see them being important for others.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Ok I cant figure out how to see my macros by meal? I can see where it shows me the percentage of calories per meal, but not protein, carbs and fat. Am I missing something?

IDK...I primarily use the website when I'm at work. It shows my totals per food item and total meal in my diary if I enter something.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    No. Everything here is way too glitchy to even consider paying for it. Clean up the database and keep a consistent semi bug free experience then maybe. Can't even get notifications correct here. ๐Ÿ˜’ ๐Ÿ™„

Yes, Premium using the same glitchy, cluttered database as the free version makes paying for it a non-starter for me.

To avoid ads, I use desktop, where I've had a mostly ad-free experience for almost 20 years.